OPENING DAY!

Discussion in 'Bowhunting' started by massa_jorge, Sep 27, 2008.

1. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    well it's finally here. made a deal with the lt. to get all my work done and haul butt. of the two seasons i have bowhunted, i haven't got one on opening day yet, maybe this will be the year? :tounge_out: won't bother me if i don't, i just want to get out and see some deer with a bow in my hand! itching to see if they are holding to the same pattern they had a couple weeks ago. skeeters will be bad till it freezes, wanted to tell yall about cutter advanced with 15% picaridin. keeps the skeeters off and the deer don't seem to mind it. i see a lot of folks get eat up by mosquitoes because they don't want to spook deer with bug spray, so there it is, for what it's worth! good luck to everyone, i'll post results later on! yeehaw!

2. DIESELkat

DIESELkat New Member

State:
    PA
    Good luck and shoot straight. Usually the only thing that keeps me from sweatin to death early season is the skeeters (usually the size of a small condor) buzzin in my face keepin some air moving.LOL

3. CopeMan

CopeMan New Member

State:
    MO
    Sounds good. Best of luck to ya

4. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    Good luck to you. I hope your plan comes together.

5. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Good Luck are you trying to put a doe in the deep freeze first or do you have doe days in tx ?

6. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    in the zone i hunt i can get either or on whitetails and a mulie buck in bow season.

here's how the day went- walked in an hour before daylight and got set up in a draw that runs between two bedding areas. i like this spot because i can walk up on bedded deer and look at them before i plan a stalk. well, there was one in there but she had me nailed before i even got to the draw. she didn't spook, just stood up and bedded down 50 yards away. an hour later i moved in again, and she again moved and bedded down again. i left here there for another day so i didn't push her out of the area. i have a month to hunt so there's no sense running deer out of the country. some idiot was hot dogging up and down the riverbed on a 4 wheeler and making a bunch of noise. i got up on a bluff to see what was going on. it was the game warden looking for hunters i guess. i figured i would go to him and get my license checked, so me and blake (massa_blake) went to the base of the bluff and waited. he passed right in front of us at 20 yards and didn't see us. i figure we gave him his chance. what an idiot!
    the wind changed so we went about 20 miles away to another spot and sneaked through a salt cedar thicket that has trails all through it. a lot of deer bed here, but all i saw was a pheasant. we didn't go too far in because i won't kill a deer for nothing. in 96 degree weather i figure about half an hour before the meat will go bad. i can gut skin and quarter faster than that. around a mudhole, i heard all kinds of what sounded like a distressed animal, i said it sounded like a frog. we went to investigate and it was a leaopard frog being swallowed by a water snake. the snake was swallowing the frog back end first, and the frog had his front legs out of the mouth trying to get out of the mouth. the snake eventually got him down though, and you could still hear the frog in the snake's stomach making noises. pretty cool to see. we drove down to a pipeline that crosses the river, there's a good crossing there. blake wanted to drive in instead of walking, but i said walking would be safer. he decided to drive. we made it 4 miles and he hit quicksand, and there went the truck. we unloaded our bows and pistols we keep in the box before the truck sunk past the doors. we put on our packs and got a good drink of water, then headed back. called for someone to come get us and dang near to our pickup point, two whitetails, a buck and a doe, stand up out of the grass at 10 yards and sit there staring at us. we both just started laughing, because that was a gimme shot, but we couldn't shoot because we had our pistols on us and it would be illegal. also, our ride out was having trouble finding us and the meat would be no good. so we let three deer walk today. we got ahold of some friends with winches and some pretty bad 4 wd's. it took three winches pulling together to get blake's f250 out of the quicksand. at least he still has a truck. i'm going out again on monday to my go-to spot, i'll post results and hopefully pictures then. thanks for reading.

7. Mi11er

Mi11er New Member

State:
    Independence, M
    That stinks that you couldn't shoot those deer. But I commend you for not shooting because it was unethical. I bet you'll have backstraps in no time.

8. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    hey i was just glad to get out there. the place where i was hunting is where i usually rifle hunt. i figured it would be a good place to bowhunt, but the cover there is even more lacking than the regular spot! i'll get into em soon...

9. Mi11er

Mi11er New Member

State:
    Independence, M
    Ya just hunting makes me so happy, even though it is 80 degrees here today:crazy:

10. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    went out from 5 am to 7 pm today. at 7 got a shot at a whitetail doe at 15 yards. i shot right under her. shaved some hair off, but didn't break skin, thank goodness. now she's just educated, not wounded. can't wait to get out there for another try. i am pretty disgusted with myself right now...

11. One Legged Josh

One Legged Josh New Member

State:
    Ohio
    It happens brother we have all missed! Good Luck....olj

12. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Jordan, hope ya get a good one and be safe out there. :cool2: