Opening Day of Trout Season

Discussion in 'LOCAL KANSAS TALK' started by delbert bumbleshoot, Oct 15, 2009.

1. delbert bumbleshoot

delbert bumbleshoot New Member

State:
    Overland Park,Kansas
    Not only was it opening day of state trout season but it was exactly one year ago today since my dad passed away. He always enjoyed going to the ditch in Topeka {Auburndale Park} to catch some weenie trout.Ususally takes longer to drive to Topeka and back than it takes to catch our limit. I took a half a day off work and left right from work.There were a couple of guys leaving with only 2 trout telling me how slow it was. I had a one of my dad's rods rigged with sherbert power bait. Despite the fact that the 3 rods were only 10-15 feet apart only that one seemed to be getting bites as fast as I could throw in. I switched both of the other rods to that same color power bait but caught 9 on my dads rod and none on mine. I was able to release 4 that were barely hooked and I still was gone in less than an hour with my limit of pipecleaners.Pops would have been proud of me.

Attached Files:

2. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    Eric, thats a great way to spend time with your Dad, I am sure he was with you.
    I dont care for trout, but way to go.:smile2:

3. Gamblen

Gamblen New Member

State:
    Kansas City, KS
    Good job Eric. The mouth of a trout is hard. Sharp hooks and set the hook fast.

4. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    Way to go Eric...around 3pm i seen around 6-8 people down there.

5. rwg

rwg New Member

State:
    WICHITA, KANSAS
    Good post and pictures Eric, I going out on Saturday and catch my 5
    little trout

6. playbaby

playbaby New Member

State:
    Kansas
    All i can say is good job and that i miss colorado for trout fishin:sad2:!!!

Attached Files:

7. Charlie365

Charlie365 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I'm sure you had a good time with the opening day memories of your dad as well as catching the trout.

Did you do any dove hunting this year ??
    I remember you said you really liked to dove hunt.

Charlie

8. nevets91

nevets91 New Member

State:
    rock hill south carolina
    good job and im sure you did make your dad proud. i always love catchin some trout myself

9. etexun

etexun New Member

State:
    Texas (Nea
    Eric, I think it is great that you honor your dad with a trip like that. Congratulation on the fine catch and thanks for your story.

10. delbert bumbleshoot

State:
    Overland Park,Kansas
    Yeah Charlie we got our limit opening day in about 2 hours down at the state dove plot right by LA Cygne Lake boat ramp {the one in the river on 399th street}. There were a couple thousand dove milling around. My Uncle was giving me a hard time about taking impossible shots on birds that were out of range and moving fast. Of course then I asked him how many he'd shot of our 30 limit and he said 5. I did shoot 4 boxes of shells in a short period of time. He said I was taking a lot of shots Tom Knapp couldn't hit.By Saturday a cold front had moved in and all the dove were gone.I had a great time though. I'm hoping to go squirrel hunting as soon as the leaves drop, My wife is still out of work so I guess I'll only get to go Pheasant hunting once opening weekend. Last couple years I've gotten to go pheasant hunting at least 6 or 7 weekends. I guess I'll be looking for some low budget trips close by.

11. rwg

rwg New Member

State:
    WICHITA, KANSAS
    Well I didn't make it out trout fishing this weekend, however I did go to Texoma striper fishing. We did ok no big fish, but we caught plenty of small ones. The bigger fish were real skinny(3-5 lbs) I even talked the guide into drifting for a while for bues no luck, maybe next time. I have been down there 4 times in the last 2 years and think I will take my boat and fish with out a guide next time

12. Charlie365

Charlie365 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Wow, that sounds like excellent dove hunting.

I didn't get out 'til the 2nd week.
    We went a couple times up to Elwood WA by St. Joe.

1st time we got 19, my son and I.
    2nd time we got 9 about a week later, my son, grandson and I.

Third time I took a day off and my cousin and I got ONE, only saw 4 or 5 total.

My son said there's still quite a few doves down around Pomona/Ottawa as he drives truck during week.

Oh, well, we're looking forward to Goose season !!

Charlie

13. delbert bumbleshoot

State:
    Overland Park,Kansas
    Had a nice day Monday temperature in the 60's and sunny but the wind was blowing 15-25 mph. Probably not a good day to be out in a boat drifting. So I loaded up and went to Auburndale Park in Topeka to try for a few pipecleaner trout. Only managed 1 about 8 inches long in 2 hours and I moved about 10 times spreading my 3 rods all over the entire length of the ditch.So I went and got some lunch and went to Lake Henry in Clinton State Park.Much nicer setting with beautiful fall colors and clear water {well for Kansas anyway}. As I walked up I was talking to an old guy who said he had been there since 7:00 AM and hadn't even had a bite...it was about 12:30. I felt kind of bad when I stepped up and caught one on a rooster tail the second cast. I left with 4 stick trout in about 45 minutes.I would much rather lure fish but when the water is so muddy like at Topeka it doesn't seem to work as well.I didn't have my waders and I always wear them at Lake Henry.Didn't have anything worthy of a picture.It was a great day to be out.

14. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    People were stacked up on the ditch last night when I was on my way home. Looks like the River might have some trout in it if the rains keep up here.

15. Tunnel Rat

Tunnel Rat New Member

State:
    Kansas
    trout goodwih fried potatoes and onions way to go