Opening Day of Black Powder Season!

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by flathead willie, Nov 2, 2008.

1. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    I almost missed the day I've been waiting for. Somehow I lost a day this week. I've been planning to be in the woods all day for the Nov. 1st black powder opener. Thinking that it was Friday, I was sitting here BSing with my BOC brothers at noon when a customer called told me it was Saturday, not Friday!! I couldn't believe it.
    I already had my hunting gear together, so I threw it in the truck and headed out for the hour drive to the farm I hunt. I had set a ground blind up at the edge of a hayfield on Monday. I had seen 17 deer near there that evening, so after a quick look around the rest of the property, I decided to hunt my new API blind for the first time.
    About 4:15 a little spike came out about 75 yards to my right and started feeding. I got out my can call and figured I'd play with that deer a bit. I let out 4 calls and set back watching the deer stomp the ground. All of a sudden I heard a crash right behind me, and as I turned my head, a big buck ground to a halt 8 feet outside the blind to my left. Before I could pick up my gun, he turned and ran off into the planted pines. All I could do was watch his butt disappear into the trees.
    About 5:45 I saw a deer peeping over the hill in the hayfield around 150 yards from me. As I watched it through the binoculars, two more joined it and started walking towards me. I was still watching them when they froze and stared in my direction. I couldn't believe they had seen me in the blind! I put the binoculars down and almost freaked out. There was a buck standing broadside 10 yards away right in front of me!!! That's what the does were staring at. I grabbed my Ruger and put the cross hairs on his neck. BOOM, he hit the ground like a bag of beans, and the three does ran back to where they came from.
    About 20 minutes later, I saw the does come back out to the field down hill and about 200 yards away. They gradually got a little closer, 150 yards out and were about to disappear again behind a small hill. I put the gun on a stick I had cut earlier and lined up on the biggest deer. At the shot, she dropped in her tracks. One of the others ran away but one came running to about 40 yards in front of me. When it finally wandered off into the woods, I went out to find a nice 9 pointer laying in front of me. With both deer still in the field, all I had to do was go get the truck and drive right up to them for loading.
    The day started off bad, but it sure got better fast.

2. on_the_fly

on_the_fly New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    thats turned out to be a great day for you. man an the 150 yard shot I would have never thrown lead that far with my muzzel loader and to drop her in her tracs. my hats off to you. I dont think I would ever be able to pull that off. but I do love when you can just drive right up and load up.

3. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Sounds like a good hunt to me, congrats. I can see we hunt alike in several ways. If i shoot, i usually just sit tite and hopefully double up. If i'm cuttin meat i would just as soon do a couple.:wink:

4. fishnvince

fishnvince New Member

State:
    na
    Congrats on the Deer. Our group shot 1 6point It was a slow day for us but good to get the first trip of the season in the book. Always glad to get in the woods again

5. flathead willie

State:
    Virginia
    Once I know they are hit hard, I never leave the stand until it's pitch dark. Especially bow hunting, I've got a lot of deer right at the last few minutes. Sometimes I'll sit for 30-60 minutes after dark and listen. If deer come through after dark, I know I have to move my stand closer to bedding areas. Yea, we can take two a day so if I don't have a long drag, I'll take another one. A new law this years says we have to check in a doe before you can check a second buck. We can get three bucks a year and all the does we want.

6. CopeMan

CopeMan New Member

State:
    MO
    Way to go man! Sounds like ya had a blast.

7. flathead willie

State:
    Virginia
    Any day you see ten deer, and get to take two home, is a great day!! My friends mother says there are three huge bucks hanging around the farm. Maybe I'll get lucky and be there when one of them makes a mistake. I got a 9 pointer there several years ago that came in 2nd in the state with a muzzle loader. I think the pictures are here on BOC somewhere. The property right next to this one produced a 40 pointer the day before I got the 9. It made national hunting news. A guy named Walter Hatcher killed it. I'll try to find a picture of it.

8. Txbluecatman

Txbluecatman Member

State:
    Texas
    Congrats Willie on a great day of hunting. And thanks for sharing your story.

9. Jacksmooth

Jacksmooth Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Congrats on the deer Billie! Thanks for sharing!