Opening day in Iowa over early

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting' started by dannybcc, Apr 10, 2006.

1. dannybcc

dannybcc New Member

State:
    Sioux City, Iowa
    Today was opening spring turkey in Iowa. It ended early for me, not complaining. Got a 24lb 13oz Tom with a 9 inch beard. It is an Eastern and my biggest to date so I am very happy with it. It took over a 1/2 hour to call him in. I started with yelps but ended up turning him and bringing him with purrs on my Cody Woodsman glass call. That call put him into strut every time I would hit it. I was using a single hen decoy, her name is Marylin. She always does me fine. Took the bird at 28 yards with a Benelli M2 12 gauge using the factory #1 choke tube. That choke tube worked great when I patterned it. No need for a after market one here unless u shoot at 50 yds and over. I dont. The shells were Winchester Supreme XX copper plated 4 shot. That is also what patterned best for me out of that gun. I tried to upload pics but it says sizing is off and I dont know how to redo it. Thanks for listening about my hunt.
    Tight Lines
    Danny J

2. fat_fish55

fat_fish55 New Member

State:
    illinois
    congrats on your hunt
    opened today in ill too i wont b gettin out till friday morning probably
    hope to look for some mushrooms after the hunt as well with highs in the upper 70s-80

3. armynavy

armynavy New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Great job on the gobbler and pretty good job telling the story made me think i was sitting there with ya. I just don't have the patience for birds glad someone does.

4. tkyhnt

tkyhnt New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Congrat's on a super bird. I think the only thing better was the story that you told. Makes me want to get out and go this afternoon. Will have to wait until morning though with any luck I can post a story like that. Again Congrats.

5. dannybcc

dannybcc New Member

State:
    Sioux City, Iowa
    Thank you for the kind replies. Dreadnaught resized my pics so I thought I would attach them.

Attached Files:

6. Crawdad

Crawdad New Member

State:
    Mid-Missouri
    Nice work & great fun, Dan. I hunt pheasants a lot near Corning/Creston & last fall my Setter pointed in tall grass at the end of a small ditch. Danged if i didn't flush an old gobbler! The next morning in another area, he did it again. Was good for a laugh anyway.

7. dannybcc

dannybcc New Member

State:
    Sioux City, Iowa
    Never hunted pheasant over there Crawdad. I have seen alot over there though when passing thru. Nice to here from you.

Tight lines,
    Danny J