Open water?

Discussion in 'LOCAL KANSAS TALK' started by goingfishin, Feb 3, 2009.

1. goingfishin

goingfishin New Member

State:
    Topeka, Ka
    Anyone know where there is some open water? I need to test my new prop out but dont feel like driving all the way to Wolfcreek. Heck I might pick up some of the shad kill while Im at it.

2. catfishscotty

catfishscotty Well-Known Member

State:
    mo
    la cynge power plant lake in kansas is not that far from ya i dont think

and is open .

also i went down to the missouri river at lexington today and no ice was on the river it was clear ,, but low

3. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    hurry up and wait it shouldnt be mutch longer. the ponds looked alot thinner yesterday and i heard thursday and friday are gonna be warm. i thought i heard 75* friday:eek:oooh:

4. rush_60

rush_60 New Member

State:
    Troy, KS

It is going to be warm for 4-5 days after thursday, but you know its going to be windy too. I dont know how excited you are to get your new boat out in the wind.

5. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    CJ Melvern opened up today.Buddy of mine went down there and said you can put in at Sundance and go all the way to the dam.He said there was about 80 feet of weak looking ice off the Turkey boat ramp that he thought would be gone by night fall.But for sure you can get in at Sundance.

I will be there Sunday heading west of the bridge to test the cats in the shallows.Shad should be blown in on the north banks after the winds today.And them cats should be going shallow to eat.

6. unclebuncle

unclebuncle New Member

State:
    Humboldt,K
    I plan on being there.

7. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Hit some local lakes around here today and everything is still froze.

8. unclebuncle

unclebuncle New Member

State:
    Humboldt,K
    No ice at all around here 70 degrees right now and I have a sick daughter I have to stay home with.

9. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    Ray hope your daughter gets better soon.

There is so much crap going around right now its hard to stay in good health.

10. unclebuncle

unclebuncle New Member

State:
    Humboldt,K
    Thanks I can leave her with mother tomorrow while I go to Melvern.That will about kill her she wanted to go.

11. goingfishin

goingfishin New Member

State:
    Topeka, Ka
    Tom, thanks for the update. I plan on going down there Saturday afternoon. Ill let you know if they are biting.

12. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    Good luck CJ...

Save some for me!!

13. goingfishin

goingfishin New Member

State:
    Topeka, Ka
    Ended up putting four in the boat yesterday. Wouldn't you know the first fish in the boat was landed by my 6 year old son on his Pirates of the
    Caribbean fising pole. As he was realling it in he said "Dad I think I got a monster on here.":smile2: It was only 1-2#'s but on that little pole it would feel like a monster. It was nice to get out and catch some cats i was starting to go stir crazy.

14. Dead Red Rick

Dead Red Rick New Member

State:
    Kansas
    4 down many more to go. Good start CJ tell your son congrats

15. River Outlaw

River Outlaw New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas,
    aint nothin kike yer son gettin him one and watchin em go i tell ya

16. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    Clinton main body is open. I'd imagine this wind will have the rest of it open very soon. Found no winter kill shad, I might be to late.

17. mandingo

mandingo Member

State:
    kansas
    no shad to speak of at melvern also.a few weeks ago we were ice fishing at perry and there were hundreds of 3-5 inchers in the ice in the area we were fishing.last year was a freak year for a shad kill,ive never seen anything like it but hope to see it again!

18. kuhlcat

kuhlcat New Member

State:
    kansas
    Last year we had alot more winter and the year before we had no winter kill so that is why their were so many dead shad last year. I don't think their will be a big shad kill this year. It will make it alot easier to catch some big shad this summer. I was looking for shad at clinton this evening and the lake is open up in the coves might have to make over their or Melvern tommorow depending on the wind.

19. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Milford Lake is wide open now. BUT, no shad at all, at least not anywhere between School Creek boat ramp and the dam. I'm going to take a ride up to Wakefield tomorrow and see what it looks like.
    I've seen a total of a dozen shad (10-12"s), and they had all been pecked on by the crows. Some had no guts in them.
    I kinda feel like the other folks, there's not going to be any real good shad kill this year, there were thousands of them last year by this time, with a lot less ice cover.
    Before the ice melted Eagles and Crows were eating on them all over the ice in Curtis, if there were any to float in, they'd have showed up by now. I hit the lake at least twice a day and the shoreline is just empty this year.