Open water lake or river?

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by miichael, Sep 3, 2006.

1. miichael

miichael New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    When fishing for blues is it better in the lake deep water or can they be caught up in the river in deep holes? Going to try for some blues next weekend in a river bend water is about 26-28ft deep. I know most people fish open water in lakes in 30-50ft of water. Was just wondering if they come up in the river and hang out in the bends.

2. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

From the post I have been reading here it sounds like you can catch them in both. I have only caught blues in a lake though. Good Luck

3. Abu65

Abu65 Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I catch Blues in the river look for the deepest holes on the channel edges.

4. usmc0208

usmc0208 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I noticed that you fished Lake Norman. What are the best places to go there for the big blue cats?

5. flattyfisher

flattyfisher New Member

they go in both...me personal best is from the lake tho!

6. catfishbully

catfishbully New Member

State:
    louisiana
    Myself I like to fish the mouths of river flowing out of a lake. I do some great fishing after dark, on an outgoing tide, with either live or cut perch or mullate. Live gizzard shad works well also. Sometimes I'll wait 45 minutes to an hour for a bite but it's always worth it. Big blues prefer to frrd at nite and they especially like a good flowing current. I think you idea of fishing in this deep bend should do you some good. Although don't limit yourself to rivers. I have caught some very nice blues in lakes as well. When fishing lakes I prefer to locate a few deep cove with some type of drainage into them . I will fish these coves after dark with a cork just a few feet off the bank. I developed this technique one nite while fishing a similar spot on the bottom when I noticed a 10+ lb. blue swimming on top of the water. I hope this information has been helpful. Good Fishing to you. Feel free to PM me , I would like to share some stories with you.

7. countrycat15

countrycat15 New Member

State:
    gastiona,nc
    i like to fish lakes my self, but i guess u can catch them in both

8. bhunt

bhunt New Member

State:
    *Required*
    I fish main lake points and humps in the lakes I fish. Good luck.