Open the Chute, I'm ready!

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by postbeetle, Dec 17, 2007.

1. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Haven't posted today. In kind of a funk since yesterday. But like an apple a day, a post a day means my brain might be still working. This one is for Muleskinner and Phil.

Muleskinner and Phil Washburn have got my mind a thinking. Muleskinner with that beautiful Mule and Phil Washburn with those bulls he showed in his "Stompin' Ground" pictures a while back.

Has anyone here ridden a bull? I had a daughter date a hunk of a man about 15 years ago that rode bulls. Handsome man, but he had less brains than a bull. They broke up and he eventually wound up in jail for a variety of things. Still there, he gets out next year. He would ride those beasts, get beat in the ground and get up grinning like a marine after a bar fight.

Had a resident of this county killed by a bull not too long ago. Older fellow about my age, lived next to a trout stream I fish. Most bulls will kill ya once they decide to. Dairy bulls especially. He had a Holstein, knew it was dangerous. His wife begged him to get rid of it. He refused. He walked into the lot to hay the cows and the bull took him down. It was all over. The wife called a friend of mine who lived next door. He came over with a 12 gauge shotgun tubed with 5 slugged deer rounds. He poured 5 rounds into that bull and the bull just looked at him. The sheriffs deputy got there and poured 6 rounds of his 38 into the bull. The bull just looked at them. Finally they got a 30-06 and nailed him in the head.

A friend of ours, a gal and her husband, raise stock cows. He is a truck driver and wasn't home. She, checking her cows, got between a cow and it's calf. It bawled and the cow came. Knocked her down, spread its front legs over her torso and pummeled her with it's head. Ruptured her uterus, liver and broke 4 ribs. It got up and went to its calf. If that was a bull, they will put you up against a brick wall, smear you along it like somebody wiping with toilet paper and then push what's left of you through the brick wall.

I have been chased by them, had my Vet truck rocked by them. It ain't like a deer strike. One Thump! It is Thump! Thump! Thump! I have put rings in their noses and smiled when I did it. Muleskinner reminded me of a client who raised bulls. He wouldn't walk the pasture checking them. He would saddle a Jack mule and ride him through the pasture. A bull, with as few brains as they got, will not tackle a mule. A Jack or Jenny, esp. a Jenny will kick his head off. They need two hoofs, but if you have ever been around mules, you know what they can do. Katey Bar The Door.

So I was thinking, could go on about more stories about bulls, but I was wondering with all the diversified honchos on here, has anybody ever ridden a bull or been around them like I have?

Muleskinner, they got big bull in Brazil, and Phil put a better fence between them and you.

John.

2. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    thanks, John. i been around a few of those critters myself. seen some mean rodeo bulls when i was a kid. never wanted to ride one. the dismount always looked too iffy for me.

i know better than to rile a big animal like that. i too, have seen old farmers and ranchers hurt like that. never figured out why a man quit giving credit to one of those dudes. the older we get, the more cautious we should be, not the other way around.

seen a rider at a local arena, years ago, get a horn in the face.......that scared me and i ain't ever forgot it.

3. Kat-tamer

Kat-tamer New Member

State:
    Missouri
    My grandma got trampled once, put her in the hospital. I was too little to remember the details now. I just remember being told as a kid to stay out of the cattle lot. Never listened. Can't believe me and my sisters lived through childhood.

When I was 8 or so we had a bull named big red. He was mean so dad and grandpa put that ring in his nose and started tieing him up with the show steers. Back then it was not uncommon to tie a steer to the back of the truck or tractor and pull them around to break them for showing. Well, that's what they did with big red.

By the end of that summer, us kids could get on his back and ride him like horse, with dad leading him of coarse.

That's as close as I want to come to riding a bull.

4. 1sporticus

1sporticus Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    I have a Nephew who used to ride em. I think he did if for about 7-8 years. Got beat up pretty bad a couple of times. I always told my Sister the Boy aint right. She claimed she'd dropped him when he was a baby. Oh well I wish I was that young and dumb again. Later Andy

5. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    Never tried riding a bull, but my brother and i decided it would be fun to ride a calf. It turned out to be a very painful experience, in more ways than one. Its a miracle that i was able to sire three children, calves have a very skinny back. The second miracle was that i still had a butt after my Dad got through with me!!!

6. dafin

dafin New Member

State:
    Manhattan,Kan
    I had a yearling Angus bull take me . He would not go into the catch pen. I like a fool ran at him with a whip , two smacks on the nose was all he took . he hit me and up in the air I went,them he try ed to knee me while I was down on my back kicking with both feet. We roped him and pulled him in the trailer and to the sale barn he went.

7. curdog

curdog New Member

State:
    Sheridan, Arkansas
    I tryed to ride a bull one time when I 17 years old living in Texas. There was a small rodeo arena where all the wantabe bull riders would show up to see if thay could ride a bull. I got on one that must have weighed a ton he came out of the chute and made two jumps and I hit the ground under the bull.That bull was stomping and a kicking all around me and I do believe he was trying his best to make a mud hole out of me. Well I got luckey and rolled under the fence. I got one little bruise out it and a good education. And I have not been on one since.
    Thay say God looks after fools and Drunksand I wasn't Drunk at the time.:big_smile:

8. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    My father in law kept his cattle until he was 83. He was putting out feed in a trough, they pushed him down and stepped on him. He was able to crawl under the trough, later to the fence, make it to the house and call for help. He was lucky, he wasn't too badly hurt, they could have easily killed him. He sold all his cattle shortly afterwards.

I tried riding yearling's back on the farm when I was young... that was too much for me.

9. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    I don't know if it's luck or not, but all I ever got to do was shovel it. Saw on PBS that some of what comes out a real one, goes for thousands of dollars. Guess that would be the "show" units. But there again, think I'll keep the chute closed. Yet another job not to be envied. Maybe that's what ya end up doing when ya rode too many.....

10. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    When I was in the Marines on Camp Pendleton there was a place up north where you could pay and ride the bulls. The rodeo guys went there to practice, my mentally challenged friends went there to get liquored up and ride bulls. I grew up around my Grandpa's cattle and knew when I was a kid they could probably win against a person. Seeing my jarhead buddies on Monday mornings just made me realize I was smarter at 8 than they were at 22 :big_smile:

11. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I will be the first to admitt and know I am not of sound mind most of the time and what makes it real bad is I know it but I have been round a couple critters....Not fer me ...hey lets all goto Spain and run with the bulls:eek:oooh::eek:oooh::eek:oooh: I just have to wander why anyone would want to ride or run with them,Heck yer riding and get thrown you might have to depend on the clown to save you and for me that has a whole lot moore issues...no sir ree not fer me.....now 300mph in a quarter thats what I wnt to do:wink:

12. baitchunker

baitchunker New Member

State:
    alabama
    ive fed a few cows, and i worked a couple cattle auctions as a kid. but alas, i prefer goats. i bought my first set of four goats when i was 14. we didnt have a fence so i chained them up like yard dogs. eventually i let them all loose. they would sleep on the carport and come out to the driveway to greet visitors. i liked watching them. they were real easy to handle. one of the guys i played ball with started calling me ellie may, like that chick from the beverly hillbilly's. so i sold 3 of the four and slaughtered the biggest. her name was jane.

13. anchorpuller

anchorpuller New Member

State:
    North Caro
  14. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    my grandfather would raise steers to slaghter, he would get 3 or 4 and stall raise them. he would get them when they were real young and raise them up to about 1800 lbs before he would drop them. i remeber he used to get into the pen with them to clean it out and he would carry his hammer with him (he was a carpenter). if one of them started getting squirly he would whack them on top of the head with the hammer. they would calm down real quick after that. my great grandfather used to slaughter cattle with a 8 lbs sledge with the handle cut down. he would put them in the holding pen, climb on their backs, hold that sledge above his head and bring it down right between thier eyes. worked well, until the time he missed and almost broke his leg, after that he decided to use a 38 right between the eyes. was less dangerous. i have been around cows my whole life, and hogs and chickens and mules and goats and dogs and cats and snakes and lizards and i will tell you they can all get you messed up if they are mad enough.

15. baitchunker

baitchunker New Member

State:
    alabama
    laura, that was the koolest display of modern day redneckism i have ever seen. i am more afraid of the teeter-totter than the bull. my baby bro had his left testicle shoved up into his intestine because of a mean girl and a teeter-totter. we called him the uni-bomber after that.

16. Angelkitty

Angelkitty New Member

State:
    Sheridan, Ar
    I have never rode a bull. but i have a cousin that rode bulls at the fair. He finally desided to quit after being thrown from one on to the gate. he broke 4 ribs and deep bruising. My ex-father in law, He lives in Wichita Kansas. Has a Angus Bull and lots of cattle. The boys use to mess with the baby calves and the mommas would chase after them. They finally quit after the Bull (Ol Brutus) chased after them. Poor David and Patrick ran into the barn and Brutus slammed into the side of it. The boys finally came down from the top stall white as a gost. :smile2: They were youngens.
    I made Newton get rid of his goat. It stood up on his back legs and nocked me onto my butt. That was all it took. :confused2: The next day a buddy of mine took it away. :embarassed:

17. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Jeez John I thought someone had thrown you out of a plane there for a minute when I first saw this post!!!!!Wrong chute :smile2::wink:Let me tell you I rode some of the toughest bulls in this here country,I mean hard bucking,snorting ,gosh awful bulls like you dont see any more.Yes Sir and whats worse I was usually slightly inebriated when I got on them.They were everywhere I went,Dallas,Houston,Denver,Colorado Springs, Cheyenne,Butte,New York .NEW YORK you say and I say yup they were all over,you couldnt get away from the BULLS.There was a bucking bull in every bar in the country seems like and most of those were former Discos.Travolta made Sat Night Fever and Disco swept the land,then he made Urban Cowboy and it was worse than the running of the bulls in Spain.SOme of the toughest bull riders of those days were girls!!!!:wink:It was a great day for men because even if you were to chiken to try it you could watch those well built girls climb on and then oh my,you could get a lesson in physics right there or was it physiques.Thank God the modern enhanced female chest hadnt made it appearance yet or my eyes might still not be looking in the same direction.:big_smile::wink:Its amazing what you will ride after throwing back 3 shots of Jack to impress everbody and somebody telling you "If that little itty bitty girl can do it so can you" Oh well somebody finally busted their ass and then sued the bar and quick as a wink POOF all the real bulls were gone.Nothing left but the hairy hay powered versions.To bad!!!!I would love to see a comeback now that girls are BIGGER and better.:smile2::crazy::cool2:

18. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    The bulls you rode were not mean. They just did their act, according to the guy running the controls. The mean ones out there were the women. I have been around those gals before being ridden, after being ridden and being ridden. No matter the voluptuousness of a particular time period, they were still mean, mean, mean. You better have big horns or they would laugh at you. Cinch the saddle good, 'cause the ride will go through hill and dale.