OOPS, now get back INTO the boat!

Discussion in 'Boat Safety' started by EricM, Mar 12, 2007.

1. EricM

EricM Active Member

State:
    Cleveland TN
    :0a20: My second time into the water this winter, once to salvage a sinking rod & reel (got it!), and today while throwing a cast net. Now I know many of us have had this happen or at least have come close, but do you ever think about how hard it is to get back into the boat alone, especially in this really cold water? That motor makes a poor step and I personally can't hardly do it that way. What I have done is to tie a short piece of rope to one of the rear cleats and tied a loop on the other end of it, just far enough down that when I put my foot into it and grab the rail that I can heave myself up far enough to get my waist onto the edge of the boat and can worm my way up from there. I tie it to a second cleat with a very simple half-hitch so that it doesn't blow around when I'm running, but is very easy to release when you need it. I needed it today with the water about 55 degrees and it worked like a charm. By the way, carrying a towel and extra clothes saved my fishing day today. Even putting on a rain suit will help warm you again if that's all you have. Be careful out there and try to have a plan to counteract some of the stupids that we all occasionally pull!:embarassed: One other thing - the judges in the next boat only scored my dive a 7.4! They said something about landing on my back and not having my feet together. A low score like that - they must have been the Russian judges!:lol:

2. rudepossum

rudepossum Well-Known Member

State:
    Missouri
    Very good advice. Thank you.

3. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I am very happy that you are also ok! Hypothermia can settle in very fast,so please be very careful!:crazy:

4. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    good to see your ok but two words for everybody LIFE VEST I always wear it when using the cast net in cool water

5. badkarma

badkarma New Member

State:
    Oxford,Miss
    Eric that is why I DO NOT STAND UP IN A BOAT,I would never be able to climb back in.

6. Wooly

Wooly New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Thanks for pointing out I need a plan. I wear a life vest but I need to get out after getting wet.

Wooly

7. leadsinker

leadsinker Member

State:
    Wichita, K
    Eric, glad you're OK. This is no laughing matter. It happens more than most people think. For those who have tilt on their motors, climb on the lower unit and push the tilt switch. Once it is up, just slide on into the boat. Don't know remember where I read this, but sounds like it would work.

8. riddleofsteel

riddleofsteel New Member

State:
    NC
    Great post!!

Most folks do not realize that it is next to impossible for the average fully dressed man to climb back into his boat if he falls out. The higher the rail on your boat the harder it is. If you doubt it take a change of clothes this summer and near the boat ramp go over the side. Without some type of entry ladder or ramp many out of shape individuals can not get back in. Add to that colder water, hypothermia, and exhaustion and I would wager that a good portion of folks would be in serious trouble.

We keep a folding dog ramp on our boat and it is always in place fishing, hunting ect. It really becomes critical when you are alone. The only time I had to use it I looked like a 280 LB sea lion humping up the ramp but I did get back in. 45 degree water, full clothing and boots I guess I would have had to either head for the bank or drown if it had not been in place that day.

How did it happen? Let's just say that throwing a cast net and tripping on the trolling motor handle at the same time will just about do it.

:embarassed:

9. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    Hmmm... you've got me thinking. I think I can rig something like that to help me get back into my canoe if I capsize. have either side of the rope on the keel/rocker area and attach it to the back seat or deck (which ever offers more support). In high school, they taught us how to flip over a capsized canoe in the diving well so we couldnt cheat by standing up. but they didnt show us how to get back in with out a partner to hold the canoe from tipping as you try to get back in.

10. micus

micus New Member

State:
    Lake St. L
    I attached a small skier ladder on my transom. Kinda skinny but works. Creates some drag in the water but I can still hit 30 & after that I can't see anyway.:lol:

11. ps72103

ps72103 New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    i had a 16ft for a year now and havent realy given it any thought off how i would get back in if i feel out. :006:

12. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Well in saltwater you dont have a problem getting back in any boat because we've all seen JAWS 50 times.
    I think a movie like Attack of the Killer Flathead would solve the freshwater problem.

Or just maybe... One of the western type made for TV series a decade or so ago had a scene where some cowboys or settlers were crossing a river on horseback. One was thrown into a bed of mocassins and expired rather quickly.

I bass fish on Lake Mattaskeet. the average depth of this huge natural lake is only around 18" and I used to put a 16 bass boat in it.
    Alot of times I pushed the boat across large shallow expanses because I could do it quietly. other times I crouched down in the shallow water stalking schooling bass while the boat anchor line was attached to my waist.
    In the spring of the year when I push the boat I have a man on the bow looking for moccasins. ( some folks say moccasins are rare but I say you aint been to Mattamuskeet) When the bow man spots snakes in front of the boat. I jumped up on the doel fins until the boat passed them by or they passed us by, then it was time to push some more.

I dont have a problem getting back in any boat.:big_smile:

13. EricM

EricM Active Member

State:
    Cleveland TN
    ?SHARKS? !?SNAKES?! I'm glad I fish where getting dry is enough reason to get back into the boat! :0a20: :0a1:

14. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    If possible I don't try to get back in I hang on to the side of the boat and get it to shore then get in I also keep a life vest on the seat where I can reach it easy:tounge_out:

15. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    And yet another reason to stay in shape........ I don't want to be looking like a 280 pound seal umping no dog swim ladder.