Ooops wrong screw

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by Duckpoor, Aug 4, 2009.

1. Duckpoor

Duckpoor New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Buddy called looking for some advice.
    While changing the lower unit grease in his 87 Johnson 25 .
    He managed to get a hold of the wrong screw on the gearcase and removed the shifter yoke pivoit rather than the drain screw. ( in his defense , they are right together and, there might have been a pop with foam on top involved.. who knows)
    Wonder if anyone else has been thru a simular deal and if a disassembly is necessary or if it can be replaced .
    I am sure if it can be replaced there are tricks to do so and at this point we are scratching our heads .
    Thoughts or well wishes for us would be appreciated..

LOL .. the things we get our selves into.

Ron.

2. 1mickymoo

1mickymoo New Member

State:
    Edgerton, Kansas
    I had the same problem, I used a weling rod to position the rod, I also put it in backwards and I had changed the length of the shift shaft, I hope you guys have better luck.

3. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Guess you guys never read the post, where I mentioned, never take out a screw in the lower unit that has a phillipos head on it.:wink:

4. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    Never messed with them Ron but wish you luck in getting it fixed.

5. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Use a sharp long object and line it back up. and don't drink barley malt while working on a boat motor.

6. bnt55

bnt55 New Member

State:
    Northern KY
    I just replaced seals in my lower unit and was wondering what that little screw was doing there, I almost unscrewed it but just left it instead...I guess a little angel was looking out for me.....:big_smile: