oologah spoonbill

Discussion in 'LOCAL OKLAHOMA TALK' started by brandon, Feb 4, 2008.

1. brandon

brandon New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    Heading to oologah to try my luck at snagging. Has anyone every fished for spoony's there. Where would my best shot be below dam or lake side?

2. brandon

brandon New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    since nobody has any extra info on this subject for me Ill add what I have found out dropped by oologah friday and seen several snaggers. It took me three casts to catch one. All fish being caught were in the small 20 pound range. No big ones yet. Havent even heard of anyone ever catching any big guys. Just wondering if anyone out there knows where the 70-80 lbs. stay.

3. South Grand Laker

South Grand Laker New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    yes, brandon, your a little early though, go down grand river and you'll know what real snagging country means, easy 70 to 80 lbs snagged every year, old record was snagged their in the early 90's, but we'd all rather it be on some other tail waters so just check in on those other waters

4. brandon

brandon New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    Thanks south grand laker for responding I know about below grand I caught a 95 lber a couple of years ago Just trying to find something closer to home for some evening runs.

5. South Grand Laker

South Grand Laker New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    right on, i think it was last year the boys from the state were running some test on the spoonbills in oolagah, to se why they weren't producing much with good size, i didn't talk to them long i just meet them pulling their boat out at the boat ramp, i've never seen or heard much about them over there, so i don't know

6. healthydrink

healthydrink New Member

State:
    OKLAHOMA
    My son was out there the first week of February and had alot of fun, mostly small ones though. Then the second week of February they were gone. Seems like if they run the water long enought the catfish come in and run the spoonbill out. The best place he was snaggin them in was on the boat ramp side just about even with the last parking area across the river, then cast out to the edge of the current. There seems to be a hole made by the eddy where they stack up. Hope this helps.