oologah lake

Discussion in 'OKLAHOMA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by brandon, Jan 24, 2006.

1. brandon

brandon New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    Hello, I regularly fish the lake for channel and blues however, my question is , I have heard that spoonbill was stocked in the lake some years back. Has anyone heard of any being caught. If so where on the lake (if anyplace) could you snag for them. Just curious.

2. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Brandon, WELCOME to the BOC!!!!

Glad to know that you fish one of the lakes in my area. Never tried for spoonbill, so, I don't have any information for ya. I normally fish over on Skiatook or the Navigation Channel.

Please don't hesitate to jump in, ask questions, and answer any questions that you can!!

If you get the chance, fill out your profile as it will help people to better answer your questions.

Also, look in the Gathering Section for information about the Keystone Gathering.

3. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK
    Spoonbill each spring will travel upstream to spawn. Every lake in Oklahoma the spoonbill will get stacked up below dams, low water dams and wherever the water gets too shallow to migrate farther upstream. I've never tried snagging for spoonbill at Oologah but up in the Verdigris is where you need to go. Providing you have a boat you can put in at big creek ramp just east of Nowata and travel upstream to the shallow riffles. I go there each year for the sand bass run and do very well there. That's where I would go if I were going to try snaggin for spoonbill on Oolagah. The amount of current through can play a big part on how far upstream they will travel. I snag every year below Hudson Lake at the low water dam on the Neosho. The spoonbill get stacked up so dang thick that you can snag one with almost every cast. Now this all hinges on how much water there are letting out of Hudson. I watch the releases and when it's running over 15,000 cfs it's time to go snaggin. Anything less can be very hard work because they will settle in deeper holes farther downstream and not concentrate at the dams. This would be true for Oolagah also in finding quanties of spoonbill traveling upstream. I know that they are in there but how many and how successful I don't know for sure. Good Luck.

4. brandon

brandon New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    Thanks for the information. I have heard of the spoonbill in Oologah. I know they snag for them on the lake at Grand during cooler and summer months. Before and after their spawn. Just was trying to figure out if Oologah would be a lake that one might try sometime in the future. Navigation channel what is this.

5. coyote

coyote New Member

State:
    Verdigris, Ok
    Hi Brandon,
    welcome to the board. Where have you been fishing in Oologah? My first juging trips were in the channel out from goose island during the heat of the summer and I did pretty well for a rookie juger. That was about 4 years ago. Now most of my catfishing is done on Hudson during the winter months.

Kenny

6. brandon

brandon New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    Mostly just north of where you were. I fish between the river channel (runs north southand the east /west creek channel( I think its Talala creek) . Same basic area. sometimes hard to find out on the body of the lake if you haven't been shown.

7. coyote

coyote New Member

State:
    Verdigris, Ok
    Brandon,
    Do you jug or rod and reel fish or both at the same time?

8. catfishcentral

State:
    OK
    Have any of you guys ever fished over by Winganon Bridge? I know this is a good place to catch fish year round but in the spring pre spawn I believe this would be a super place. The whole lake "neckdowns" to only the river channel where the bridge goes over the lake. I gotta think that all those fish moving upstream would really concentrate them as they go upstream. I'm thinking jugs on the south side of the bridge along the rip rap and then rod and reeling just a little south of the bridge and catching all those fish moving upstream.

9. catfishcentral

State:
    OK
    Here's a pic of that area.

Attached Files:

10. brandon

brandon New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    I rod and reel and jug usually. I don't always take my jugs but when I do I still take my rods sometimes I drift with my jugs sometimes I leave them and go some place else.

11. okiecop

okiecop New Member

State:
    Grove, OK
    Brandon, I don't know where your located at but on grand ifyour going after spoonbill the best spots i know of are either the sprin or neosho rivers at twin bridges. or the miami river park in miami. that is the neosho also. have seen snaggers lined up shoulder to shoulder in miami before. Hope this helps you out.