Oologah Lake

Discussion in 'OKLAHOMA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by TeamPunishment, Apr 23, 2006.

1. TeamPunishment

TeamPunishment New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Well we use to we had a lot of members hitting Oologah Lake and I really havent heard anything about it from anyone anyone on here in awhile...So I figured I would start a thread up for it...Usually at this time of year the water is about 6-7 ft high and we are limblining cats left and right, but since its two feet low I havent been out on the lake yet...This no rain is killing us all:crying: ...So has anyone else been out on Oologah this year or have any of you heard any catfishing reports?

2. Bullrider

Bullrider New Member

State:
    Foyil, Oklahoma
    I went last saturday with my cousin and we caught about 80 pounds of channel and blues in lightnig creek at the boat ramp on shad from dusk til dawn. We lost a few that would have probably went over 25 pounds.

3. fishnfool68

fishnfool68 New Member

State:
    Near Tulsa Oklahoma
    One of my oldest friends gives me a hard time about being a member of a some redneck brotherhood,probubly because he couldn't catch a pearch in a bucket.I have only fished from the bank on Oologah,and they are hopeing that I'll help them find some catfish.I've caught plenty of cat under the dam,but have never caught any keepers out of the lake.My buddies folks have a new pontoon and invited my family for a day of fishing. However they are new to fishing-actually he hates it ,his wife and daughters have been with us, a few times and are dragging him along:lol: If anyone could point us to a good spot I'd really apreciate the help!I'm sure if he ever hooked something besides his bait he'd join the BOC!The boat is slipped on Oologah ,so thats where we have to go.Were going fishing on 5/27,any advice would be a big help.I've been catfishing my whole life but I wouldn't say I'm an expert:embarassed:.

4. jholl949

jholl949 New Member

State:
    Mannford. Oklah
    Mike,
    Tie this guy to the hood of your car and bring him to the gathering. We'll convert him!! :smile:

5. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Mike,

As the other mike said, bring your friend to Keystone. He won't give you a hard time any more, and he'll LOVE to fish!!!

6. fishnfool68

fishnfool68 New Member

State:
    Near Tulsa Oklahoma
    I have a better idea:big_smile: If his wife has a good time out catfishing with us on Oologah then she will prob want to come to the gathering!Where his wife goes he will follow.If Momma ain't happy nobodys happy!Gatherings are such a blast he just has to be there and I'm sure he'll be hooked.

7. jholl949

jholl949 New Member

State:
    Mannford. Oklah
    Sounds good, Mike. Either way, get him there. The members will show him what the BOC is all about!!

8. TeamPunishment

TeamPunishment New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    We ran a trotline for about 10 days in Talala creek when the water was still up a couple of weeks ago, we ran it without a boat so it only had about a dowen hooks on it and it was in about chest deep water. We caught 3 15 lb flatheads and the 32lb flathead( my avatar pic) and i dont know how many good eating size channels. But once they started dropping the water we had to pull our lines now we are just waiting for it to stabalize again

9. TDawgNOk

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Ok,

We are going camping at Oolagah for the Weekend, through the 4th of July. We will be camping at the campground right by the dam.

Any suggestions on where to put out jugs/lines near the campgrounds?

10. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK
    IMO the South end of Oolagah might still be a little slow right now. The fish are just coming off spawn and big numbers of catfish are still at the far North end of the lake. That being said if you don't want to boat too far North I would set jugs on side of the islands and points where the wind is blowing toward the island shorline. The baitfish should be in more abunance in this area. Goose Island about 6 miles North is also good year around but may be too far to boat for your liking. Theres a small island right over by your camping area that's close and a big island..well kind of there's a small peninsula that attachés to the mainland. Both of these places should be good along with any creeks and focusing on shoreline dropoffs. The middle of the lake where Winganon bridge is also great the whole lake neckdowns to only the river channel. Jugs placed close the the riprap on whichever shoreline the wind is blowing towards you should be very well. It's about 12 miles by boat but there's ramps right by the bridge if you so choose to trailer your boat there. The North end of the lake should be still doing very well and putting in at double creek should produce a LOT of fish.

11. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK
    So where is the pics of all the catfish you caught out at Oolagah there Tony?
    Let's here a story....

12. TDawgNOk

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Our fishing at Oolagah was pathetic to say the least.

1st with 3 gill traps in the water you would think we would have plenty of bait.
    Caught 6 in the traps the whole trip.

Had about 25 jugs out the whole time, only got 2 small blues about 1 lb, and they were snagged. Just released them. We tried -hot dogs, hot dogs coated in garlic salt, frozen shad, fresh shad, live bluegill, cut bluegill.

We lost 4 jugs from people swiping them.

13. PeZ

PeZ New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Sorry TDAWG to hear about the slow fishing on your trip i knew how excited you were about it. and im sorry i couldnt make it out there but on another note i did go fishing on the 4th on Old Okmulgee lake for bass and I tore them up I caught 5 nice bass in 1hr 45 mins biggest one was allmost 4lbs i was fishing a white spinner bait in the grass around the banks from my uncles pontoon and he caught 7 in the 1hr 45 mins we were able to fish on a yellow and blue spinner. A severe storm rolled in and we rolled out when the lightning started hittin the lake. Bass are hot right now and cats are really slow due to the lack of rain IMO.