Oologah Lake 1-3-09

Discussion in 'OKLAHOMA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by healthydrink, Jan 3, 2009.

1. healthydrink

healthydrink New Member

State:
    OKLAHOMA
    Fished with my wife today. Wanted try fishing in the pontoon when it was windy. Man the swells were terrible going across the lake this morning but the boat was great in it. Wind died down on the ride back though.

Couldn't catch much bait only had 4 shad and one baby drum and we gave it a try with them. Couldn't locate shad schooled up hardly anywhere. My usually good bait holes were nil.
    First spot fished was big zero bites. Did alot of scouting and found a pretty good spot for a strong south wind and marked alot of fish. anchored up and fished with the last of the bait. Had 6 poles out caught one Bluecat that wieghed 9lb 10 ounces and one around 5 lbs. had a few bites on the other poles but not aggressively. The cold front moving through had a big affect on the fish and you could tell when it got just past us because that is when they turned on. But then we were out of bait.

It was a good learning experience fishing in the wind like that, always wanted to try. I see them do it on Youtube and catch bigguns.

2. posifour11

posifour11 New Member

State:
    OK
    good to know! i quit at about 4:30 here, about an hour before the front came through. i was using livers from chickens we had just butchered and storebought frozen shad. only had two nibbles, one each.

at least folks are catchin' em.

3. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK
    Shad can be a pain at times during the winter...still better than being at home sitting around. I actually got out on Friday out on Copan. I threw the net for a 1 1/2 hours with nothing to show for it all my usual winter spots were empty. I got a call from the wife asking to go to the movies so packed up and left without putting out a single rod...I at least got out.

4. healthydrink

healthydrink New Member

State:
    OKLAHOMA
    I understand. I am a firm believer in the worst day fishing is way better than your best day working! So lets all go fishing any chance we get.

5. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Good report, and great job scouting and experimenting with the pontoon.

Bill in SC