Oolagah Lake

Discussion in 'OKLAHOMA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by healthydrink, Mar 1, 2008.

1. healthydrink

healthydrink New Member

State:
    OKLAHOMA
    Does anyone here fish Oolagah Lake?

I fished today 3-1-08. Caught 4 small blues biggest about 5 pounds. Cut shad around main channel of river. Can't seem to catch shad very well. I can find them on my sonar on the bottom all schooled up about 30 feet deep. I think my net is closing up before it gets down that far. I tried a Shrimpers idea of putting duct tap around the bottom of the net right above the sinker line. It did not seem to help. I can cast the net and only get 3-4 shad at a time. I work my self to death just to fish. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

2. shadmaster

shadmaster New Member

State:
    OK
    Brad I think most people have the same problem. Sometimes the shad may be outrunning your net. I have different sizes and weights and experiment with them. The bigger nets might cover more area but if they too slow its not going to help. The smaller nets will fall faster. You might try attaching additional weights as some people have done. The shad have really been gathered up lately but the fishing has been really slow. I fish oologah, kaw and the cimmaron river and all three have been bad. At least the shad I have found have all been really big so I dont need too many. When I got extra I keep them cold and take them home with me to freeze and take with me next trip as insurance. That winter time netting is tough. Last time I did good was about two weeks ago when the blues were gathered up in the channel North of the Winganon bridge. They have since left but the paddlefish were really thick. Let us know if things improve over there. Good luck!:wink:

3. healthydrink

healthydrink New Member

State:
    OKLAHOMA
    Thanks for the advice. I was thinking of trying a smaller net. The additional weight sounds like a good suggestion. I will try it. I plan on being on Oolagah Saturday.

4. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Would love to fish Oolagah more. Only, this weekend is out, too many honey do's

5. healthydrink

healthydrink New Member

State:
    OKLAHOMA
    Caught about 20 blues today. Biggest was around 20 pounds. mostly just eaters 4-8 pounds. Shad was all busted up. took us way to long to catch bait. only got to fish about 2 hours, but tore em up for those two hours.

Attached Files: