Oolagah Lake - Creeks silting in

Discussion in 'OKLAHOMA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Lenape4, Apr 14, 2007.

1. Lenape4

Lenape4 New Member

State:
    OK
    Talking with a few friends the other day and we got to talking about creeks you use to be able to get into with a boat from the lake. We were talking about the North end of the lake around where the Verdigris river goes into the lake. Has the Corp of Engineers ever addressed this on other Oklahoma Lakes? I wonder what the north end of the lake will be like in 20 years.

2. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    T think that is a problem we are experiencing all over the state. I can't remember of a new lake being built in state, other than Sardis and Hugo. I know the two city resevoirs in Guthrie are getting silted in, as well as the one in Cushing I like to fish. Understand thats happening with Twin Lakes in Shawnee and the City lakes at Davenport as well. I wonder what they will do when it gets to the point these lakes will not hold sufficient water for the citizens needs. Know they won't build new lakes as the cost of the land is prohibitive.

3. Creek6

Creek6 New Member

State:
    OK
    Last couple of times I have been up there I have had a hard time even getting into the river from the lake. It's a tough spot especially in the winter with a hard south wind and low water levels.

4. HORSMAN14

HORSMAN14 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    The Double Creek area is almost impassible as well. If the lake is at normal levels only a very small boat will pass through. There used to be pretty good fishing, but it has not been very good since it has silted in so bad.

5. Lenape4

Lenape4 New Member

State:
    OK
    I am going to try and contact the Corp of Engineers and see if they have any plans for the future. The state needs to put some money back into these lakes that generate alot revenue for the state.

6. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK
    Oolagah is just like every other lake in Oklahoma or any other man made lake. These lakes have a certain life span before they are useless and the corps knows this but have very limited options. These were all rivers at one time and rivers have a natural way of flushing silt and debris downstream when we have those heavy spring turd floaters. The water is running so strong that it pushes the silt farther downstream and keeps the river flushed out. Now the problem is when you impound a river and make a lake the silt doesn't have anywhere to go once it hits the main body of the lake. These lakes all silt in on the upper ends of the lake where the main river or rivers and creeks feed into the lake. When we have our spring or fall rains all that silt runs downstream until it hits the lake. There isn't enough current in the main body of the lake where the river dumps into to keep pushing the silt downstream. This happens at all lakes and most lakes will become useless in 70 years or so after being impounded. There's only two things to cure this one is to dredge the lake but it costs too much. The corps says that dredging a lake will cost more than to build another lake. That's the second option building a suitable lake uptream or down from the current lake. We are having this problem in my town. We currently get our water from Hulah lake which was impounded in 1951. This lake is 3800 acres in size and the corps believe the amount of silt built up on the lake is the size of a football field two miles high. The upper end of the lake is so shallow that you can walk across the lake at normal pool level. The lake doesn't hold enough water and we have had problems during drought seasons having enough water. They are currently looking at making a new lake farther downstream. costs too much to dredge and water supplys from other lake is too costly or can't obtain water rights. Mud buddy motors should be popular as this lakes get harder and harder to navagate the upper portions.