Oolagah in September

Discussion in 'OKLAHOMA RIVERS TALK' started by Cutshad, Aug 23, 2006.

1. Cutshad

Cutshad New Member

State:
    Newalla, Oklahoma (Shawnee)
    Alright Chris, and all you other guys that get to fish the fertile waters of the Verdigris River, my Brother and I are going to be up there Sept. 8,9 and 10th. I may be up there on the 7th, how about some getting together and meeting someof you guys. We will be staying on the north side of Oologah on the river. I am hoping the catfishin turns on a bit between now and then. We plan on fishing with r&r, juglines and maybe a limbline or two. Made some new jugs and I will send you all a pic. You guys are the ones that designed them, but I did finally make some.

I was sad I didn't get to make it to the Oklahoma Gathering. I would really like to meet you guys and swap stories. I am sure there was fun had by all. Well, if you get a chance I would love to see ya. Thanks, Brian Martin

2. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK
    Brian,

Where are you staying at? The North end of Oolagah at Double Creek cove or on the river at Big Creek? It's been five weeks or so since I've been on the river. We caught some decent flatheads and blues but the surface water temps were really hot 91 degrees. This no water, high temps has hurt the fishing especially on the river where the temps seem to get a little higher out there than on the lake. Hopefully but the time you get here cooler temps and water flow will be present. I might be able to get out there on Friday or Saturday night depending on what my boss(the wife) has to say. Fall soccer has started for my kids so my Saturday mornings will be booked for awhile. Let me know where you'll be and I'll try to make it out and do a little fishing.

3. Cutshad

Cutshad New Member

State:
    Hey Chris, I think we are gonna try to stay at Big Creek. I have been there once before and it was a pretty decent camping area. I know what ya mean about the sports. My youngest daughter is doing softball right now for school, she will switch to basketball pretty soon. I have got to get some serious fishin in soon. Between job and business and school stuff with my girls, I haven't had time to spit. I will try to let you know more as we get closer. Look forward to seein you.

4. jholl949

jholl949 New Member

State:
    Mannford. Oklah
    Brian,
    Keystone5 is scheduled for June 1,2,3 in 2007.
    Hope you can make it.

5. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Brian,

I'll try and make it up to meet ya!! Now, it does depend on what my boss(wife) has planned but, I'll try and work it in.

6. catfishcentral

State:
    OK
    Brian,

I still don't know if I'll be able to meet you out there but, I did fish the river yesterday and thought I'd give you a report. There were plenty of shad as usual, which was a good thing. I broke two leads on my net on the first throw.:sad2: So I went for the easy money and just found a big ol dark cloud of shad and caught a couple hundred in one cast. They were all pretty small but they still work fine. The river is still down about a 1 1/2 feet but it's not a issue with navagation but we need some good current to turn the fish on. Now for the most part it was pretty slow but I did catch a limit of 15 cats yesterday. I threw out 15 jugs and ran them twice catching 11 small blues and channels. I only caught 4 catfish while having 6 rods out the whole time. The highlight of the night was a 5.5 pound flathead. I'm sure I would have had some better luck if I fished or left jugs out all night. I only had small shad to fish with which means a lot of fiddlers to deal with. Last time I was out there I did catch some nice flatheads in hot weather with no current but I had plenty of perch. This time I didn't have the time to catch any larger bait. The turtles and gar are still in full force out there stealing bait. There were only 5 boats put in at big creek yesterday and not a single person camping. I was really surprized nobody was camping on this weekend out there and the weather was pretty nice. There's plenty of bigger shad to be had on the river also but you have to do a little seaching for them. I didn't feel like repairing my net so I just look for the new baby shad 1 to 3 inchers that are all over the river right now.

7. Cutshad

Cutshad New Member

State:
    Thanks for the report Chris, Sounds like you did very well. I am hoping we will have plenty of time to find some of the big shad. I caught about 7 pounds of the smaller shad here, have a little start up bait...I will also have several perch, and we will be able to catch some up there. I hope they get some rain up north and get some flow. Sure would be nice. I also found a spot with several 6-8 inch carp, what do you think about using them for bait? I am going to bring a few and put out some lines around those logs. Thanks again for the report!

8. catfishcentral

State:
    OK
    Small carp work great for setlines. In fact most all types of "roughfish" make good bait. There are all pretty hardy and will stay alive for quite a while in hopes that a nice big flathead comes by. I've used carp, drum, buffalo, bullheads they all work good. Any gamefish legally caught without a net work good also. I don't think twice about putting small sand bass, crappie, even small channel cats for limbline bait. Now is the shad that you caught still alive or is it dead and frozen? There's more than enough shad in the river and I personally wouldn't waste the time using frozen shad if I had plenty of live or fresh cut bait. Fill your livewells with as many live perch, carp or any other hardy bait for the trip up here. You won't have any problem finding shad this time of year. There's lots of active gar and turtles this time of year especially without any current and there most active during the daylight hours. I fish with shad during the day since there are plentiful and use the big live baits at nightmine when more big guys are more active and a better chance the turtles don't rob me.

9. capt theory

capt theory New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    i know im just preaching to the choir but two people have recently told me the warden looked through there livewells for game fish and bait fish quantities. they wont count them out unless its obviously over the limit but just heads up. :wink:

10. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Ok Brian, its the 6th, so, its closer.

Where ya gonna be staying/how shall we find you if we are able to come up?

11. Cutshad

Cutshad New Member

State:
    Okay, I will be there thursday evening. Have to attend a funeral out west so I won't get there until later in the day. I am going to stay at Big Creek camp and boat ramp. You guys are welcome to come over. My brother will get there friday evening. My cell is 405-650-1674, I drive a blue Chevy truck with "Got Gophers" on the back. Come on by, look forward to meeting you guys. Be careful, Brian Martin