only using 1 bait this summer

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by LEROYDOZOIS, May 17, 2008.

1. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona
    ive found that pretty much everything i used last season faild except for HOG WILD PREMO SUPER STICKY

any1 else have 1 bait that works for yall

just curious:tounge_out:

2. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    That is a good bait and I use it myself. Do not limit yourself to one bait, however. Most of the time you will catch bigger fish using live or cut up baitfish. There have even been days where the fish wouldn't touch one type of dip bait but would tear up another. If you are set on only fishing dip baits, at least carry a couple of different ones with you.

3. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

100% agreed!:big_smile:
    I always take 6 or more different baits with me and try them live, fresh cut and combos of different things.

IMO, on the dip bait you'll pretty much catch eater Channels, at least thats my experience here.:wink::big_smile:

4. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona
    i always take anchovies and my net too cause i catch gills for flats....

the weird thing is that i went all season last year on the dip bait cause they wouldnt touch anything else......

i like using cut bait too but it doesnt catch the channels as well for some reason:confused2:

5. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

Patience Grasshopper, Patience!!! I've caught tons of channels on cut bait and small live(2-3") Gills. Be patient and they will come. Nothing wrong with having a pole out with both and a Flattie pole out also, that is if you don't have a pole limit. Luckily in KY we don't.:wink:

6. crab

crab New Member

State:
    Ironton,Ohio
    A walk the rice papper grasshopper lol john you kill me. Little bro hang in there use what you have confidence in and try different things but stick with what works for you. I think you will find that what you have the most confidence in will catch you fish!:crazy::smile2::wink:

7. nitronostrils

nitronostrils New Member

State:
    IL
    Take as many baits as you can, yeah it might be a pain to lug it all around, but believe me some nights the cats will hit wicked sticky like crazy but not touch sonnys or vise versa. I carry around 6 different dip baits and 3 different punch baits, worms, shrimps, liver. To save time I put two hooks on a line with two different types of bait to help speed up the bait of the night. In the meantime, grab the ultra lite and catch some gills. Don't limit yourself to one bait, it'll make it for a long day/night.

8. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    well I am not a big fan of commercial baits............................but I do have 1 bait that I rely on ..................cut bait!:wink:

9. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    If I had to limit myself to using only one I would have to use fresh shad. I havent caught a single fish on a prepaired bait in over 5 years,Last year I finally just gave up on them. Its fresh whole or cut baitfish for me now.

10. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    don't limit yourself to one bait! flatheads will take bait live or fresh cut. channels will take whatever is fresh and bloody usually, they are scavengers that look for food, and moreless anything can work for them from livebait to crawdads, to your stinkin bait!:smile2: rollo

11. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    Im not sure if that would be a good idea. As said before I wouldnt limit myself to one bait. In my area the 2 preferred baits are skipjacks and shad, but on some days the catfish prefer bluegills cut or alive.

12. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Anchovies for bluegill? Interesting. Are they dried anchovies? I can't imagine canned ones staying on the hook.

13. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Ya can get the frozen ones at wally's world, I'm sure that's what he meant. :roll_eyes:

14. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I just use live bream, shiners, or any other panfish for bait. I also use any type cut bait. I never use commercial type baits unless I am fishin' for eatin' size channels.
    BB in SC

15. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Well....with the flatheads biting good now.......I'll stick to my hand-size bluegils.:crazy:

16. vetrock

vetrock New Member

State:
    ar
    agreed. Except here, those fiesty little "red perch" are my first choice. Minnows are my second. We use stink bait, when we are out of the other 2.

17. ranman92

ranman92 New Member

State:
    OHIO
    wow I tried commercial baits alot and never EVER even caught 1 fish. I seriously started thinking they were just making stuff and selling it to idiots like me. I live by lake erie but bareley ever fish there cause I target cats in reservoirs, but one thing I know is I'm so surprised when I hear anyone say they caught fish on commercial bait. Cut shad works well and everyone will be against me on this but my go to bait is shrimp. Last year I caught a 12lb 8 oz channel on it and caught 1 more over 10 lbs. I split between shad and shrimp and the biggest cat I caught on shad last year was 7 and a half lbs and I caught 5 fish bigger than that on shrimp. And I probably caught 2 out of every 3 channels I caught on shrimp. But I keep using shad cause I've caught alot of channels with it and all the best fisherman i know use shad.

18. tigdewalt

tigdewalt New Member

State:
    ky
    If they don't bite on shrimp I have good luck with tuna and sardines, run thru the blender add hamburger and then thicken up with flour. No big one but lots of eaters.

19. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    on the lake i fish mostly. shad. 100% shad ,shad, shad, and only shad.

in ponds ill use worms and livers ect... lake. have i mentioned shad.:wink:

20. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona

the stink has worked for me over everything else
    pretty cheap too

take out 3 minutes to chum with a baitfeeder and walla:wink: