Online Poll

Discussion in 'LOCAL NORTH CAROLINA TALK' started by WylieCat, Apr 27, 2007.

Which do you vote for"

1. 1. No regulations are needed. Leave the wildlife laws regarding catfish as they are currently.

2. 2. Place a one 30" catfish restriction on anglers per day, WITH restrictions on hooks and transport.

3. 3. Limit at 30", no restriction on hooks, or transportation of live catfish by commercial fisherman.

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    I am going to try to posts Phillips poll...

2. WylieCat

State:
    NC
    FYI Phillip, I had to edit down the questions due to a 100 charecter limit for each question.

3. Ghost River

Ghost River New Member

State:
    Carolina
    Myself and Mark J have been the strongest opposition to price in this debate. I voted for #2 beig it's the closest to what I'd like to see. Restrictions on number of hooks and transportation- not necessarily banning.

4. thegavel

thegavel New Member

State:
    West Des Moines, Iowa
    Also voted for #2, at some point fishing isn't a sport anymore... where do we draw that line? to each his own I guess

5. CatfishUgly

CatfishUgly New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I voted number 2 because I think that there should be more big fish let loose than there are. But I do not see any reason for the regulations of hook sizes.

6. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    Thanks WylieCat for your poll. This is the way voting should be, in private.

7. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Are there going be breakdowns by species? Because if you have a minimum size limit for "catfish" at 30", there will be a good amount of white cats out there swimming free! It will help promote the channel cats to bigger sizes a lot. I came across a guy, who was catching channel cat, flattie fishing one night that litterally had a stringer of "good ones", and the biggest fish on the stringer being honestly 10" long and there must have been 30 fish on the stringer!!! lol

8. Live Baiter

Live Baiter New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I vot for #2. I think that is the way it should be.

9. Bream baiter

Bream baiter New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I also think # 2 is best.

10. WylieCat

State:
    NC
    Wow! The numbers are kinda one sided. :eek:oooh:

11. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    I went with #2. Although if ever implemented where does the money come for enforcement. Its not a priority with our politicians. It would be a bunch of empty words.

12. bigblaze

bigblaze New Member

State:
    NC
    I vote #2.

although i believe you catch it you should be able to do want you want with eat it throw it back...whatever...

but I also believe there has to be restrictions on shocking and unnecessarily destroying a fish...

13. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I don't want to tell anybody what they can or can not do...LOL...that is a lie

There should be no reason to own a big catfish. If you are caught with a large catfish you should be fined 10,000, be forced to give all your fishing equipment to poor children and for 100 weekends be put on display in public with a sign saying you are guilty of not caring for our resources because you feel your wants are more important than anything.

After all this the person should be punished.

Danny

14. Ghost River

Ghost River New Member

State:
    Carolina
    :roll_eyes: I actually heard my eyes roll that time. Amazing.

Simple question, if the fish takes my bait on my hook tied to my line and I reel it to my boat, who's fish is it?

15. mudkip

mudkip New Member

State:
    SC
    As discussed at the CCC meeting, the biologists were targeting blue catfish. The regs are not aimed at catfish in general. The purpose not to deprive anyone of catfish but to promote the propagation of BIG blues as a sporting fish. The proposals and or adopted laws if they happen are by no means irrevocable. These fish experts admitted they didn't have a lot of data on management of catfish but were willing to improve their technology and data collection to serve everyones interest.

16. WylieCat

State:
    NC
    Ya Mudkip, I think that this type of legislation is beneficial to everyone.

You get to keep a big fish if you happen to catch one, but you do not rob the resources by keeping too many. At this point in time we all know that the lakes and rivers are not loaded with big cats, so a conservative harvest is something that protects them for future generations. Maybe with some luck we will have some many that the biologists may decide we need to harvest more!!! :big_smile:

Those that are catching fish for sustenance are not affected. There will still be not limit on the smaller fish!! :big_smile:

17. Bryan8552

Bryan8552 New Member

State:
    nc
    Where I come from, that would be your fish my friend!

18. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    It is your fish if it conforms to regulations for the body of water that you are fishing. On LKN, if you are fishing for stripers and you have four already in your cooler and you catch another one on your bait, hook, etc. who's fish is it? The reg's currently in force on LKN says you can keep four, so now you have a fifth fish and you want to know who's fish is it anyway. Well, the reg's say that it is not yours, because you already have a limit of four. Crappie on certain lakes have a limit, so do bass, white bass, etc. I am not sure where you wanted to go with your question but, if we had a limit by regulations on LKN and Badin that you could only keep one 32" or over Ark. Blue and all under that size, then your second blue over 32" will not be yours to keep unless you want to pay for it in a court room setting.

19. Bryan8552

Bryan8552 New Member

State:
    nc
    Thanks Mac, I agree wholeheartedly!

I took it as if the question was referring to catfish, in the fine state of NC, at the present time. In which case, where I come from (NC), that would be your fish my friend.

My two sons and I released a blue at Kerr Lake on Saturday, it was our fish, and we did as we pleased with it. We chose to let it go!

As I've said before, I am in full support of catfish regs on all bodies of water where needed. Some of our rivers here are teaming with large cats and what needs to be done in order to successfully manage these fisheries has yet to be thoroughly studied, much less determined.

I've never done much lake fishing until recently, but since the weather has begun to warm, I'm starting to see the hit that the catfish on lakes are taking from the jug fishing. As a matter of fact, when we find a good area we'd like to fish, it's often so covered with jugs that we can't even fish near there!

No offense intended! I sure hope none was taken!

20. bigblaze

bigblaze New Member

State:
    NC
    You know maybe it is going to take "offending someone" to get something done.

The people who can do something about protecting the catfish need to know just what is happening.

I used to fish down in Elizabethtown "shocking"(shock fishing) has ruined the fishing in that stretch of the cape fear...i know the original intentions were to control the flathead population but they have all but decimated the catfish population....

It will take decades to replenish what has been lost and thats only if something is done about it today!

you could fish for days down there with the best freshest bait you have and not catch a fish.....NOT EVEN A DINK!!!!

When they SHOCK they take EVERYTHING:too_sad::sad_2a::too_sad: