Online maps

Discussion in 'LOCAL ILLINOIS TALK' started by JimF, Mar 1, 2006.

1. JimF

JimF New Member

State:
    IL
    Does anyone know where to find good maps on the WWW. I would like to be able to check out a site I want to fish or hunt. I'd like it to be free. cause I'm a cheap bas...d. Some place that I can zoom in on something and really check it out.

2. catman872

catman872 Member

State:
    missouri
    you can get google earth on the web for free, neat little program just google the words"goggle earth"

3. bearcat

bearcat Member

State:
    Nokomis, Illinois
    terra server is another one. You can play around on it and get real close.

4. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    You might also, try the link that says "member map" on this page! You can almost see the fish jump!:)

5. nuthinlikeacat

nuthinlikeacat New Member

State:
    Eden Prairie, Minnesota
    I agree with catman....Google earth is a pretty cool program that works fairly well depending on how close you want to zoom in.

6. astutzman

astutzman New Member

State:
    Collinsville, IL
    I've always favored google maps. You can search for a town, business, exact address, whatever, and can switch between road maps and satelite images. even overlay the two. The thing i like most is that you can "grab" the map with your pointer and drag it around. That really saves loading time when you're trying to scroll around.

Probably one of the most useful things is this: say you're looking at a map of some lake halfway across the state. Zoom in real close, then search for "baitshops." It'll flag all of the baitshops near the lake, so you know exactly where they are. Works on all kinds of businesses.

7. astutzman

astutzman New Member

State:
    Collinsville, IL
    Just remembered some more map sites that I like:

Topozone This is a searchable database of land topo maps. Good for hunting.

Illinois Lake Topo Maps This site has a bunch of topo maps for the lakes in Illinois. Some are kind of old, but you can see the general contours pretty well, stream beds and such. Print them out and you can mark your own honey holes on them as you find them.

Hope these help.

8. JimF

JimF New Member

State:
    IL
    Thax guys, this will be a big help

9. Rainman4u2

Rainman4u2 Guest

Great info guys, thanks from me also.

Ray

10. YankeeRebel

YankeeRebel New Member

State:
    Illinois
  11. astutzman

astutzman New Member

State:
    Collinsville, IL
    For those who don't have a fast enough internet connection to access some of these map sites or if you just prefer paper maps, here's a site where you can order some very detailed maps of Illinois' back country roads.

If you hate those free state highway maps because those light grey country roads never seem to be where the map says they are, then you'll love these maps. They're so detailed that it takes 9 of them to cover the whole state.

Here's the site where you can order them: Bike Maps

P.S. The best part is that they're FREE.