Online College

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by ryang, Mar 7, 2008.

1. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    Has anyone ever done this. Im looking at University of Phoenx and possibly getting my degree Bachelor of Science in Information Technology/Information Systems Security in 2 years or less. The price is good since I get 5-6K from work a year and it costs about 7500 per year for this.

2. Larry

Larry New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Just make sure its accredited... Lots of scams going on with online courses over the last year or two.
    University of Online Phoenix has been around for some time, I would gather to say that they are more legit than most. I wish I could dig up the news story I saw about 6 months ago on the subject.
    Congats on getting back in school education is never wasted.
    thanks
    Larry

3. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    Small world. I just started online with Phoenix 2 weeks ago for an Assoc. of Business. After 25 years, getting back into the swing of school work is weird.

4. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    How has it been so far, it will be almost 25 years for me also LOL, I went the Military route and didnt think about school. What really makes me mad is how much time I wasted doing nothing and not getting it done sooner.

5. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    The same with me. It's not bad. The class is set up almost like the BOC. Instructors post assignments and then we reply to them. Pretty easy. Give me a call if you want more infor on it. 330-948-2018.
    Jeff

6. Creteus

Creteus New Member

State:
    Loganville, GA
    my older sister did it with the university of tennessee and got a BA in accounting. She held down a full time job and took care of the kids at the samr time. If she can do all that it shouldn't be a problem. My wife is studying for tne Gmat right now and is going to do the online collage to get here masters in Finance. Good luck and go for it:wink:

7. smokey869

smokey869 New Member

State:
    frederickt
    yes gary the university of phoenix is one of the good ones, my wife and daughter are both enrolled right now, wife is getting her masters in teaching, they like it a lot better than driving 25 or 30 miles each way to a school everyday, btw the superbowl was at the university of phoenix stadium this year they have a regular school and the online one, good luck with it

8. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Ive always been skeptical about online degrees, just seems like scams to me. Ive got an associates in a couple fields but to me they are not enough, I want at least a 4 year degree. Thanks for making me think of it again. Phoenix does seem like a good one since I guess I havent heard anything bad about them.

9. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    I always wonder if online degrees are worth the money and do employers give them as much credit as an in residence degree?? I also spent alot of years in the military(21) and didn't take full advantage of the oppurtunity to get my degrees. Long hours of work, raising kids and lifes turns always gave me an excuse, wish I would have tried harder to get more education. I am getting paid good but I bet I could be making at least $20K more with a degree. :confused2:

10. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    I agree with the above posts. First, make sure it is accredited. If you plan on staying at the same job, find out if it will be recognized by your employer towards pay raises, step increases, etc. I've taken various online courses from different colleges and enjoyed them all. Be sure to stay on track and don't fall behind!

11. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    My employer wont give me raises for taking courses but they may pay for the most of it. Now I might get raises for being a part of my improvement process for work.

12. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    Mike I know of a couple of people that I work with that are several steps higher than me that got their degree from UOP.

If I get nothing from the Military time and schools I will have my AA in 18 months then Ill go for the BA. I start Monday and I figured a way for my employer to pay for the whole thing. Another thing that I didn't know was that if you have kids that are Juniors in high school (I think they have to be 16 but not sure) you can enroll them also and they could be graduating High school and have an AA at least. UOP is accredited most places and the more it gets used it will become more common place.

13. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    :smile2:I went back to school full time in 1993-1996 at Oakland City University, Oakland City, Indiana. Man was that tough. Make sure the school is accredited.

But I'll tell you that extra education did not help with a better job. LOL

They want young people, young and dumb, in the job market. They want people to tell the boss, Yasa thats a right good idea,:roll_eyes: even when you know it's a waste of time. LOL :smile2:Yasa Master, thats a right good idea. LOL :smile2:

Maybe I'm just getting old and grouchy. But if you worked enough in heavy industry, you know what will work and what will not.

14. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Me personally I havent ever done it but alot of family has

15. punkin570

punkin570 New Member

State:
    MS
    Gary, I think online classes are a great thing. I agree with what everyone else is saying.. make sure its accredited and your bosses will recognize it towards raises and such. I have 5 online classes and one night class on the side, my word of advice to you in your quest......#1.. Don't overload yourself with too many classes at once, it is easy to do and tough to handle because some of them want to load you down with reports and projects... #2...make sure you have a back up computer to use incase yours goes on the fritz so you dont miss a deadline...#3...check your class site daily...they make changes sometimes that you aren't aware of if you don't check in daily, this is how they gauge your attendance...#4... make sure you set a specified scheduled time for studying...without structure, it's a nightmare.
    Good luck, I wish you well in your endeavours.

16. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    Thanks Leslie, I will be doing 2 classes per 9 week period I suppose if I wanted to do more I could but I think that 2 should be a good start. I want it done but Im not going to rush it I think 2 per 9 weeks should be good.

17. MattShannon

MattShannon New Member

State:
    WV
    Hey Gary, I have a good friend that's close to finishing his BA from Phoenix. He has nothing but good to say about the school. I wasn't aware of the Junior in HS/16 deal. Apprciate the info, as my kids grow too fast. Good luck buddy.

18. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    All of my college is online. I love it. being a soldier I could not ask for a better schedule.

19. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    I have a buddy who completed an online degree last year, and it opened the door for a pretty good promotion that he absolutely would not have gotten without it - it's a fortune 100 company that requires a degree to get beyond a certain level, no exceptions. He figures it will have paid for itself within the first 18 months via the salary increase he has already received. Not a bad deal.

20. zeboman

zeboman New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I`m in the process right now of getting my associates online through the local community college,a SGT. at work got his degree through Phoenix.