Onion info needed

Discussion in 'Garden Tips And Talk' started by Scott Daw, May 25, 2009.

1. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    My family normally just grows onions to harvest early for "spring" onions. But what is needed to make them bulb out like the grocery stores have them? I tried it once and it only went to flower. I have a bunch now that I could pick as a spring onion but I want some to mature. Should I pull the soil back to expose more of the bulb area?

2. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Scott,Just pour the water to em,I grow onions to anywhere from 2" -5" here,I am trying a tip a friend told me this year,mix up some root stimulater and water once every two to three weeks. He said his onions get huge. Sandy or loose soil is a must cause they gotta have room to expand as they grow.I found my root stimulater in wallmart in the garden section,Shultz brand.

3. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    Check out this site
    tamu.edu/publica.../oniongro.html
    Copy and paste in your browser window.
    Select "growing onions"
    I don't know why but the whole url doesn't work.
    Your problems growing onions might just be your location.
    I can't grow them either.
    You need lots of sun and warm weather.
    Let me know if you figure out how to grow biguns.
    have a good 1
    just

4. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    Root stimulator can be made by picking willow branch tips and pulverizing them and making a sun tea out of the pulp.
    Have a good 1
    just

5. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Please disregard if this is just stating the obvious.
    Onions are biennial, meaning they take two seasons to grow to full maturity. Plant the seed the first year. This will make great stalk eating (as in chives) but do not eat all of them. The ones you leave will produce a small onion, known as a set. This set is normally harvested and replanted the following spring. It is from these sets that the true onion as you see in the stores, come from. Most folks just purchase the sets to begin with. Location & soil have an awful amount to what results you get. Most folks have heard of Vidalia Onions. These are exceptionally sweet and have a taste like no others. Can you grow them? Not likely. First off, legally, only onions grown in a 20 county region of Georgia, are allowed to use the name. Take those same onions and grow them elsewhere and the taste is not nearly the same. The soil there just happens to produce a perfect onion.

6. Poppa

Poppa New Member

State:
    Pinson, Al
    I have never had much luck growing onions. I don't even try anymore.

7. IA Flatcatter

IA Flatcatter New Member

State:
    SE IA. on the skunk river
    You need to start with sets or plants, not seeds. Plant as early as you can in the spring, and fertilize the heck out of them. I use a balanced one like 10-10-10 . The bigger the green tops get the bigger the bulbs will get. Also water as needed. When the tops fall over and start drying up they are done. Pull them and let them dry somewhere breezy and out of the sun. They should keep quite a while, some better than others. this works for me anyway, hope it helps.
    larry

8. wylie catter

wylie catter Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I never knew that about videlias.

I start with sets and mine still don't get much bigger than golf balls.

I wonder if I could replant some of them next year.

9. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    My onions are bulbing nicely,Just had to pull a few for green onions,they were sweet and great tasting. now they look to be about half the size of a golf ball. the red ones were leftovers fron last year,I replanted them,most of them have wilted away since I pinched the bloom bud off. Oh Well Just had to TRY an see what would happen. I know not to leave any onions in the garden after next spring.