The United States Catfish Association Forum and Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to start a thread for everyone tip place one or two basic catfish tips to help the new or experienced cat fisherman be more successful. A lot of the info may be elsewhere on the site but it would be nice to have one thread with info from everyone on. With 17,000 plus members we should have hundreds of tips on here!

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I'll start with a basic tip that is sometimes overlooked.

Always keep your hooks sharp a pocket sharpener is a must even when your catching fish take time to sharpen your hook after every 2-3 fish the one that you miss may be the fish of a lifetime.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Make sure that your line is in good shape after every trip. no nicks, scraps, or abrasions. Before every trip I cut about 6 ft of line off and retie before hitting the water.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If using shad keep them fresh in the summer by putting them in a container in your ice chest.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Ersel
Every time you think of going fishin GO. You can't catch anything watching that boob tube. I missed lot of times because: I thought the wind was blowing too hard, it was too cold, looked like rain, maybe too late in the day might not have much time, pretty late to be getting that buddy out to fish, etc, etc. Just DO IT you will enjoy. Might be that personal best day.
Luck

·
Registered
7,781 Posts
Don't rule out fishing shallow water

For blues and channels use the 30 minute rule, No bites in 30 minutes move to another spot.

Always use fresh bait that is natural to your waters when possible.

·
Registered
4,420 Posts
Don't be afraid to fish the structure. The bigguns like to lurk in these areas. You will lose a few rigs but be patient. You might just be rewarded for your efforts.
BB in SC

·
Registered
7,528 Posts
Note to SkipEye:

Don't rule out SHALLOW WATER!:roll_eyes:

Had to learn that lesson in person from Johnny 777 and Big Sam.:smile2:

And they do mean shallow, in broad daylight even. 2 ft to 5 ft of water is NOT too shallow.

·
Registered
4,882 Posts
My tip 'o' the day is...Get ya a dip net. Get a net bigger than you think you will ever need. Someday, you will be glad you did. You will be mad if you don't.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Learn knots I vary mine to the conditions and rig used. The palamor knot is my most used and strongest I have found.

·
Registered
3,132 Posts
Ersel
Every time you think of going fishin GO. You can't catch anything watching that boob tube. I missed lot of times because: I thought the wind was blowing too hard, it was too cold, looked like rain, maybe too late in the day might not have much time, pretty late to be getting that buddy out to fish, etc, etc. Just DO IT you will enjoy. Might be that personal best day.
Luck
exactly!! well put. I have had some of my best days fishing in some of the crapiest weather mother nature could dish out. rain, wind, hot and cold.
just do it. you'll never know until you try. just remember, see lightning and hear thunder. get out of there.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts