One that got away

Discussion in 'LOCAL OKLAHOMA TALK' started by bedweary, Sep 13, 2008.

1. bedweary

bedweary New Member

State:
    Tulsa,Oklahoma
    So I've been fishing the Arkansas river in the middle of Tulsa just above the low water dam at 31st street for several days ( I think it's called "Zink Lake" but I wouldn't swear to it). Got rained on all day one day, sunburned the next. Lots of nibbles & small bites, but nothing was hanging on, and then...WHAM! I thought I was hung on a submerged log or tree, but trees don't usually fight back, so then I knew I'd hooked something lively.
    I fought him for a couple minutes, finally got him to the bank, was making my way across some rocks with Spiderwire wrapped around my hand to retrieve him when...OH NO!...my leader line snapped and he was gone. I'd guess (conservatively) that it was 15lbs., a good looking blue cat. Not a monster but the first fish Ive caught this summer and the most adrenaline I've had flowing for awhile.
    Anyways, I figure if your not catching fish, at least your learning something.
    What I learned:
    1) There are sizeable fish to be caught in the middle of the city.
    2) Sunburned bald spots can be very painful.
    3) 50lb. Spiderwire + 50lb. monofilament leader = 100lbs. of broken heart.

Have now re-rigged my catfish pole with Spiderwire leader & I'm off to try again. BR

2. swampratt

swampratt Member

State:
    oklahoma
    Dog gone it!! No supper tonight:wink:

3. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I lost a good one at the bank the same way once. Now I never ever grab the line with a fish on. I simple set the drag to match my 20 lb mono and when the fish is at the bank, I use a net. Haven't lost one since. Caught some 60-70 lb Flatheads on 20 lb mono. If you dont have a big net, just grab the fish by the lower jaw and hold on tight. But dont grab the line......LOL:wink:

4. bedweary

bedweary New Member

State:
    Tulsa,Oklahoma
    Yeah, I'm not as agile as I used to be getting across rocks and rip-rap & such, so I probably should bite the bullet and invest in a good net. And I would have taken a couple pictures, weighed him and released him anyway, but there's a big difference between releasing them & losing them. At least I've learned what not to do next time.
    Thanks for the responses, and thanks to everyone else for reading.
    Good luck pulling them in! BR

5. baptistpreach

baptistpreach New Member

State:
    Oklahoma!
    You also know where to fish for him again, so don't make the same mistake twice!

6. Randy Jones

Randy Jones New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    Well there are a couple of ways to look at what happened to you, First thing is you know that there are some decent fish in that stretch of water now you just have to figure out when they are there, and the best way to catch them. Second thing is I am just like you I hate to lose one but just think about it, that adrenaline you were talking about would have never been felt if you had not been down there trying to catch one. Now you will have to fish twice as much to try and get him again.

7. Old Bill

Old Bill New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    It's strange how we all remember the big fish tbat got away!:smile2:

After 15 or so years I'm still pissing and moaning about a large flathead that I lost! Actually my wife caught the fish and as she was reeling the fish up to the side of our pontoon boat...I was getting the net ready!

The flathead looked so big that I got all excited and hit the fish on the month with the lip of the net...knocking the hook loose! The fish so slowly sunk out of sight. Sob!

The size of that flathead has grown and grown in my mind so now I swear the fish was as large as our 20-foot pontoon!:roll_eyes::roll_eyes:

8. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Sorry to hear that your fish got away, good luck in the future.

Welcome to the boc this site is full of good info and great people

9. bedweary

bedweary New Member

State:
    Tulsa,Oklahoma
    I definitely will keep trying as long as time & weather allow. Just seeing one cat that size tells me there's more in there and I haven't seen or talked to anyone else that's after BIG fish in this part of the river, so there may be a whole bunch of 'em just waiting to be hooked.
    (Pardon me while I wipe the drool off my chin) BR