One Shot... One Kill: A Marine Legend

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by cuttingout69, Jul 31, 2006.

1. cuttingout69

cuttingout69 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    You want to see something cool, about a legend, check this out. This man has been my shooting hero since I first heard of him some years ago, I think this is fitting what someone did in his honor. http://oldbluejacket.com/CarlosHathcock.htm

2. blindfly69

blindfly69 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    that is awesome......i had no idea that some of what he did was even possible.....too cool

3. Fatkat

Fatkat New Member

State:
    Blanchester, Ohio
    Thats awesome, thanks for posting!

4. swampthang_matt

swampthang_matt New Member

State:
    georgia
    thta was good thanks for sharing i didn't know about that

5. SilencedMajority

SilencedMajority New Member

State:
    White Mtns, AZ
    There is a great book out there, "Marine Sniper" by Charles Henderson, and it tells the story of the great white feather. I would recommend the book to anyone who would like to honor the greatest sniper this world has seen. His feats are explained in awesome detail every chapter of that book.

6. cnwamw

cnwamw New Member

State:
    texas
    that s awesome put a real lump in your throat to see a true hero and an awesome marine

7. samh

samh New Member

State:
    Damascus,Arkansas
    That was great, I'll also second the recommendation for the book "Marine Sniper" .

8. vegasryder

vegasryder New Member

State:
    illinois
    I`ve always heard of that nickname but never figured out who the person was.Now i know who that person is, given the well deserved nickname i might add.I`m very impressed.Thanks for sharing....

9. Knowing people like that are scattered all around the military sure lets us all know that we can sleep safer at night.

10. catwacker

catwacker New Member

State:
    illinois
    thanks for the video. Hathcock has been my hero for a long time.

11. badkarma

badkarma New Member

State:
    Oxford,Miss
    I have read the book and it was so good that I did it cover to cover non stop.The man was a hell of a good shot and his wood craft skills were as good as his shooting.I was a sniper for the State of Miss.D.of C. at age 23 with no training in shooting and I have always wished I could have gotten formal training so I could have shot in competition but I never knew there was any such thing till years later.

12. sgt_rob

sgt_rob Member

State:
    Bossier City, LA
    Great video Tony. I've still got that book around here somewhere; it was riveting.

13. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    No question a great story and a great Marine.It is my priviledge in the course of my day to day business to work with his son,who is now retired and works for the USMC as I do.We are both in the range business and meet frequently at conferences.Carlos lll is totally un assuming and has never traded on his fathers reputation.I in fact didn't make the connection for a while.Like many in the services today there is a long connection by families to their respective services.My son is third generation Army and very proud of it.My oldest (The smart one):wink: Jumped ship literally and went Coast Guard.:roll_eyes: :big_smile:

14. catfishkatmando

catfishkatmando New Member

State:
    Salem, WV.
    those guys that beat Carlos distance were using a rifle designed for that very purpose> Hathcock straped the scope from his bolt action on to a 50 cal machinegun and made the shot the m-2 is already designed to shoot single shot. It is good to know that we have another Hathcock putting the creep on the bad guys.

15. Tinboat

Tinboat New Member

State:
    Jonesboro, Arkansas
    He is one of my heroes too. I still have the book.

16. TA2D

TA2D New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Think of how unsettling it would be to witness something like that, the mental stress of the unknown would be unbearable. One second your talkin to your buddy the next he is a pile of hamburger. Very unsettling and un-nerving, but that is the whole point of a sniper to cause chaos and disrupt the order and routine, by eliminating one key individual from the equation.

Aaron

TA2D

17. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    one shot one kill ,iv always said that when hunting maybe thats why i havent killed much if i didnt have a clear shot the shot i wanted i passed up the shot ,but unlike a sniper im not able to wait out my target for deer always seem to leave ,iv always wanted to be a sniper in my eyes they are the leaders of the pack , back a couple years ago i shot paintball was not uncommon for me to take out a five man team while my comrads kept their attention ,iv crawled on my belly through creeks and ditches in mud and muck with snakes and spiders over 150 yards to make a single kill .the sniper has always been my hero . thank you for sharing that great video of a GREAT HERO i injoyed it as you probly can tell

18. catnip

catnip New Member

State:
    texas
    Col. Land lives and teaches in our neck of the woods, gave my son the book, i believe he trains catch dogs and runs large hog hunt operations to rid farmers of them. semper fi catnip

19. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    I have read the book many times over...heck I feel like reading it again after watching that video!

20. HuntinforCats

HuntinforCats New Member

State:
    PA
    Great book I have read it a couple times