One piece vs. two piece Fishing Rods

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by Cattledogz, Apr 11, 2006.

1. Cattledogz

Cattledogz Active Member

State:
    NC
    When it comes to rods, do you prefer one piece or two piece and why?

Overall, I prefer a one piece. Never have to worry about it coming apart while bringing in a fish for one.

Two piece is a little more convenient when it comes to hauling or storing at times.

2. NCCatter

NCCatter Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Used to like 2 piece rods for storage space, but now I would not compromise strength of a 1 piece rod. I make room for the 1 piece on my boat. The joint of a 2 piece rod seems to be a weak spot just like a knot.

3. SilverCross

SilverCross New Member

State:
    Fairbury, Illin
    I prefer one piece, bot have a six foot bed on my truck so two piece it is.

4. bmaultbay

bmaultbay New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    All my current rods are one piece. I feel comportable knowing that when I cast, or someday pull in that big one:) , I can count on my equipment not failing. I have owned two piece poles in the past, I have slung the ends off while casting :mad: , and they will rotate on you mis-aligning your eyelets.

5. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have only had one pole break. It was a two piece, but it broke three eyes from the tip. How many of you have actually had a two piece rod break at the joint? If you did, how old was it and what kind of shape was it in?

6. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    One piece rods are better in my opinion, you can get a much better feel for the bait than 2 piece rods. The only 2 piece rod I have is a surf pole, easy transport.

7. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    If it wasn't for two and three piece rods, I couldn't even transport my 15' ones, or my 14 footers or my 12 footers or my 10 footers, and I'd have problems with the 8 footers. I have heard all my life how unreliable they are and how they will break with a big fish... I seriously doubt that. AND, if a big fish breaks my pole, that is just the way it was meant to be. But i'd sure have a story to tell and proof on hand. lol

8. carpfisherman11

carpfisherman11 New Member

State:
    ohio
    i like 2 peice rods they feel just as strong to me i have never broken one and if you get one that is tight were u attach the peices it will not come out while casting or move out of alignment

9. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    I think in the older technology the multiple piece rods had different actions and may have been weak points but with the latest rod technologies, ( last 2 years especially) that 2 piece rods will hold up fine. Most of my fly rods are 3,4 or 5 piece and they are designed for traveling and also catching some big fish. My 4 piece salmon rod has taken many fish over 25 lbs with no problems.

As far as having rods come loose, that can be fixed by learning how to twist on rods, some wax and basic rod care will always ensure a tight ferule connection.

Perhaps the difference is in the fact that most Cat rods are along the cheaper lines of the < $50 variety vs my much more expensive fly fishing rods.

Either way, rod technology has come a long ways and I bet most would be just fine with the multiple piece rods.

Just my .02 worth:rolleyes:
    Salmonid

10. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Everything else the same,one piece rods would have to be better.My first choice.Being that the world is the way it is,multiple piece rods are a blessing.If all rods were one piece,there would be a whole lot more short rods,and a lot less long rods out there.I lived through the era of the 10 to 20 foot cane poles tied off or hanging out the window.you can have it.A cane pole was big time.Poor folks had to cut there own out in the woods.Since I moved from the beach,my long surf rods have hung on the garage wall.I have a 9 foot 2 piece lite rod that broke where it was joined.BUT! It was not made to handle the 12+ foot gater on the other end.Had I not forced the issue,I do not believe that it would have broken.I repaired it and have used it for years.Nearly every rod or reel that has failed on me was due to abuse.As for coming apart or twisting,I have seldom had that happen,and then I corrected the problem.peewee-williams

11. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Ever since Fenwick pioneered the modern ferrule, 2 piece rods have actually been STRONGER at the joints rather than weaker.Prior to that the common joint was metal to metal which caused a dead spot in the rods action and a potential breaking point.Fenwick simply designed initially, a rod to rod joint of the same material.Later they simply made two pieces that were designed to fit together.Some manufacturers built their joints up by reinforcing them with additional fiberglass or graphite.In any case the modern joint or ferrule did away with the dead spot and the action now flows from butt to tip and in most cases the joint area is built up or re-inforced so it is stronger than the rod itself.One piece is stronger over the whole lenght of the rod and the action is slightly better without the joint.I would be willing to bet I could blindfold you and you wouldn't be able to tell the difference either in casting or fighting a fish.Properly maintaining the ferrule,which simply means keeping it clean,will ensure proper fit and no rotation.Wax is generally discouraged because it picks up dirt and becomes abrasive which can damage the joint.Two piece is more convienient for transport,particularly in the longer lenghts.:)

12. tdpasser

tdpasser New Member

State:
    Gilbert AZ
    I have a couple 1 piece rods and many 2 piece rod. The 1 piece rods are a better rod for a complete transition from a lighter tip to the backbone. The 2 piece rods have more of a transition at the ferrule. The longer the rod the better the tranition with 2 piece. Not sure about the wax thing but try rubbing the male ferrule in your hair close to the scalp whice picks up the oils and keeps a smooth connection. I don't mind the 1 piece rods because for the most part keep the 2 piece rod together from guarage to truck bed to boat and back. My favorite is a rod 1 or 2 piece is one with a strong backbone with a lighter tip say 8-1/2 to 10'.

13. catwacker

catwacker New Member

State:
    illinois
    all the rods i have broke have been between the tip and ferrule. except for 1 that broke off at the handle, but i'm sure there was some previous damage. 1 piece is probably stronger, but in the real world 2 piece rods are just as good, and the transport factor is important to me. just my expert opinion(LOL)
    catwacker

14. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    I like the 2 piece rods.I feel they are just as strong as the 1 piece but easier to transport.

15. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I have all ready put my two cents in, but thought I'd come back and make it four cents. Here's a fairly safe way to transport your sectional rods. Works for me....

Attached Files:

16. Cattledogz

Cattledogz Active Member

State:
    NC
    Great idea! Thanks for sharing.

17. Addicted2Cats

Addicted2Cats New Member

State:
    West Chester, Ohio
    Lawrence, thats a great way to transport 2 piecers. In the past i have just used masking tape but i think i'll be making some of those out of the shock coard in my backback;) . All my rods beside my bass rods are 2 piece. The only problem I had was with a cheap-o spinning rod that I was trying to "fly cast", it came apart on me! I have a 6'6 MH Ugly Stick that I realed in a 30# cat on with no problems. I wanted a 10 footer for my cat pole but that was 70 dollers, so I got a 25 doller off-brand one called the "catfish pro" We'll just see how that one holds up. IMO, the 2 piece rods are just as strong at the 1 piece and easier to transport.

18. slabmaster

slabmaster New Member

State:
    missouri
    i like one piece rods. i have broke 2 piece rods at the joint. rods were not old or damaged before breaking. broke one on a gar below keystone dam aand one on a fish i never turned below the dam at locust grove.

19. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Maxwell, if you have an academy sporting goods within driving distance, check out their poles. I know the 15' ones are $35.00. Sure, they may be cheap, but lets face it, Lincolns and Cadilacs set in the same salvage yards as Pinto's. If you set the tension correctly and don't try to horse the fish, the two/three piece poles will hold together. I'd rather see the fish take all the line off the reel than put the pressure on it to break my poles. You do that and force the fish, you probably are not going t be able to CPR it. Boy, just think of the fishing story I'd have with that one. lol

20. lawnman61

lawnman61 New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Tex
    I have both, but I've always been partial to my one piece rods. I can feel the action better with my 1 piece rods better but for my 2 piece, they are to large to transport as 1 piece.