One Pay Pond Is Down

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Catfish_Commando, Oct 5, 2009.

1. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    A lot of lines have been cast at Catfish Paradise on Ohio Route Seven over the years. And, when the property was sold by its previous owner 16 months ago, it looked like the fishing would continue.

But callers to WTAP over the weekend noticed the property has been closed. And officials tell us that's the end result of an indictment on drug charges of its owner, Leonard Barnhouse.

"The forfeiture was count 29 (of the indictment)," says Washington County Sheriff Larry Mincks, "and that involved the location of the catfish pond, valued at $150,000."

The sheriff's department was involved only at the request of federal officials, who had directed the forfeiture of Catfish Paradise and other property Barnhouse owned.

"We secured the residence," Sheriff Mincks recalls, "and the federal agents from Columbus arrived at the scene, and they participated in the search."

It isn't certain when the business actually closed. Federal officials we contacted said it was through a court foreclosure proceedure which wrapped up some time this summer.

Throughout the years, Catfish Paradise was the site of numerous group fishing outings and fund-raising activities.

It's not known if the property will re-open.

2. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Personally i hope they seign the fish and return them to the river. Plant the lake in sweet corn and give to the ole folks home.:wink: I'm old, remember that part.

3. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    You think he'd've had any problems with buying fish from a poacher? :roll_eyes:
    they ought investigate that while they're at it...

4. BenNewt

BenNewt New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    I checked out the catfish rescue web page and that is a disturbing problem to have to deal with. Minnesota has laws in place that outlaws the possession of live fish taken from public waters. In other words, its illegal to go to a river, catch a catfish and keep it alive (say in a livewell or a cooler + bubbler) and transport it anywhere. Conservation officers around here make a big deal about this. It would seem to me that creating and enforcing laws like this in other states would be a good way to start curbing the harvesting to pay pond cycle.

5. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2009
  6. mintaka

mintaka Well-Known Member

State:
    Charlotte , N.C
    One down.......countless more to go!!
    Yeah!!!!!!:smile2::smile2:

7. corklabus

corklabus New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Meanwhile.........who's maintaing the fishs' livelihood ? Doesn't those fish get FED ??

8. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    I just took a look at that website :angry: Thats friggin pathetic!! You catch a 50lbr out of a fish bowl and call yourself a catfisherman and take all these mighty poses with a fish that had but 2 choices eat your bait or go hungry?? Its sad to see all of those fish that were poached in the yearly stocking pictures:sad2: That pisses me off to no end!

9. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    My thoughts exactly. Just a little bit of sunlight on this cloudy subject.

10. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    ill second that terry! i hope i live long enough to see crap like this stopped all over the country. there are a lot of ignorant inbreeds out there destroying our nations best rivers!
    if any of you guys selling fish to pay ponds are reading this send me a PM ill tell you exactly where to go. (it wont be to church)

11. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Its a shame that it wasnt the first of many to be shut down by "Catfish Rescue", sounds like it was just blind luck that the owner got caught with the drug issue and the paypond shut down as collateral damage. Good for us, but we aint gonna get many shut down this way. "Catfish Rescue" has got to be our main focus to put an end to this BS.

12. slimdaddy

slimdaddy Well-Known Member

State:
    Nelsonville, Oh
    Name:
    Keith
    it wouldnt be far to put them back in the river. the ohio river is just 75 yds from it just across a 4 lane highway is the river

13. JBrooks

JBrooks New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I know a handful of people that went there every weekend, instead of taking my invitation to do some real fishing (the river). We all live less than 30 minutes away from the Ohio River, Great Miami River, Little Miami, and several creeks. I never understood why they went here.

I just checked the website, and those fish are not healthy. That 90+ lb blue looks like it's on it's last stretch. That 70 LB flathead doesn't look anything to be 70 pounds.

I hope this place gets shut down, along with a few additional paylakes in Ohio. I know for a fact some of them are up to no good.