One of the funnest fish to Catch

Discussion in 'Bluegill Fishing' started by TX Catman, Dec 20, 2006.

1. TX Catman

TX Catman New Member

State:
    Texas
    Every time you stick your line in the water when your fishing Bluegill you come out with a fish. Now I let most bluegill go, but at my secret bluegill spot somewere neer Tyler, TX the blue gill have filies as big as catfish fileis, and their good!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Now there defiently not my favorite thing to fish, but when the catfish aren't biten....... they're too easy to catch.

2. skeetermagnet

skeetermagnet New Member

State:
    Edmond, Oklahoma
    We always take our ultra-lights with us when we go catfishing. Something to do between bites. The bluegills really feel big on a little rod, too. I like to use bobbers about the size of a big grape with a long cricket hook so that I can get ahold of it with a pair of pliers. Most of the time we catch so many we quit counting:smile2:

3. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    I too fish for bluegill while catfishing, but for bait.

4. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    A big gill on a ultra light is a blast! Size for size gills have to be the best fighting fish there is!
    Bill

5. whitewhiskers

whitewhiskers New Member

State:
    Evansville, Ind
    i like usin a flyrod n auto reel, luv watchinum come up n hit.

6. skeetermagnet

skeetermagnet New Member

State:
    Edmond, Oklahoma
    When they are nesting, they absolutely will not leave a fly or bug alone on a fly rod. They will hit it over and over again. Whole bunch of fun!

7. TX Fisherman

TX Fisherman New Member

State:
    Texas
    oo yeah i love catching blue gill, especially if they are biting, catch em non stop, and ur right they do taste good!

8. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    yep i know your right i love to catch them and love to eat em even better

9. squirtspop

squirtspop New Member

State:
    Glencoe, Arkansas
    Agree with all of the above. Can't beat em for taste unless it's maybe a walleye.

10. Riverfish3r

Riverfish3r New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I would love to hook one of the big ones in the 2+lb range. I don't know of anywhere in NC that has large bluegill. Once they are hooked, they take off like a dart!

11. F150Catfish

F150Catfish New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    yea, I enjoy to catch bluegills too and it good to eat them, sometimes catfish are slowing so I can fishing for panfish too..

12. treddinwater

treddinwater Active Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    I love fishing period, and bluegills can be fun to catch. Not only are they good to eat and make great catfish bait, but on a hot july day when I can't catch anything else, there's nothing like hitting up a small city pond somewhere with my ultralight and 4lb test for some slab gills and redears. I also usually fish for bluegills, bass, crappies, carp, whatever will hit a nightcrawler, beatle spin, or wheaty ball while I'm waiting on ole' mr.whiskers to swim by.

13. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    I have to admit, that with all the references I make to these fish as pests and baitstealing nuiscances, They can and have saved many a fishless day.

14. WHEELMOBILE07

WHEELMOBILE07 New Member

State:
    Martinsville, Virginia
    I fish for gills when I need bait, but man are they fun to catch and not to mention the fight those dudes have in them.

Wheelmobile07

15. BILLYP

BILLYP New Member

State:
    Fayetteville, North Carol
    If there was like a 20 lb bluegill that would be the fight of your life.

16. floundahman

floundahman New Member

State:
    North Caro
    I have lots of fun catching bluegills for bait, but the best is watching my kids catch a mess of them.

17. WHEELMOBILE07

WHEELMOBILE07 New Member

State:
    Martinsville, Virginia
    My mom and I used to have contest to see who could catch the most when I was little. Bluegills were the first type of fish that I have every caught.

Wheelmobile07

18. fishinforcats

fishinforcats New Member

State:
    NC
    Can anyone suggest when and where to catch the larger bluegill? All I have been able to get are small hand size and down, I have seen some Hybred gills in local ponds but can never seem to catch anything larger that a small hand. Any suggestions?

19. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Doug I think I've posted this before but this seems to work for me the larger bluegill will be at the lower depths of the school try using a bit more weight to get your bait down quicker so the bigger fish have a chance those smaller fish are quick

20. catman529

catman529 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    yep, fun little fish to catch. taste better than bass. if they were bigger where I fish that would make it even better.