One of our cats "blackface" medical condition?

Discussion in 'The BOC's Animal House' started by takeaction, Oct 23, 2008.

1. takeaction

takeaction New Member

State:
    Ware Shoals, SC
    Howdy all. I don't know who the vet or vets are here, but I'm hoping someone can help me with this cat. This will be a long post telling how this came about. If you want, skip to the end of the story for the medical question.

Blackface (named by our granddaughter 1.5 years ago) came to us 1.5 years ago. He had either been mistreated BADLY, or had been hit, and was feral?

One day, we heard a very loud meowing at the door, and Karen immediately thought that one of our cats was hurt. She opens the door, and this cat comes racing in! His back leg is out of socket, 80% of his hair is gone and he has patches of bloody spots where it LOOKS like he had scratched himself open... He wouldn't let us anywhere NEAR him and if we tried, he attacked full force leaving deep cuts on Karen.

I have been around animals my ENTIRE life. Cats, dogs, horses, cows, goats, chickens, the list goes on, but you get the point I'm sure. I've helped and doctored many animals. I had Karen through the housecats out so I could work with him. Noone could get near him.

I sat down in the floor in the kitchen where he could see me, with food in hand (sliced ham). I tore off small pieces and threw it to him, which he quickly grabbed and gobbled down (he was extremely skinny and starved). Over the next two hours, I fed him slowly, because I didn't want him to get over full and get sick. He was already sneezing like crazy, so I knew something was very wrong with his health. We called the emergency animal hospital, and told them all the symptoms, and they said it would be a minimum of $200....... ARGH! I'm disabled and Karen is the only income. We can't afford that! We told them this and they said we should put him down... WHAT?!?! NEVER! He's savable!

He started getting closer and closer to me, and started getting interested in me. About an hour later he was standing right next to me, but not touching me. I reached my hand out, grabbed him by the scruff and Karen rushed in with a towel, and we got him to where he couldn't move at all. I went to an online cat medical site and found out how to set the back leg, and Karen did this. The cat was furious. Once it was set and we had it wrapped where he couldn't get out of it, I let him go. He went about 3 feet and stopped... I wasn't feeding him anymore, because I didn't want him to get sick off all the food. He went to the catbox and did his business. He then, to the amazement of the ENTIRE family, including ME, walks over, steps in my lap, and lays down. Karen tried to walk toward me, because she though he had accepted us.. BZZZZT! WRONG ANSWER! he jumps up, starts hissing and spitting at her WHILE sitting in my lap! HAHA

Fast forward 1.5 years... He is still with us, and LOVES to sit with me. The picture at the bottom is of him sitting RIGHT HERE in front of the computer screen on my desk. He still to this day fights Karen if she tries to pick him up, but I can pick him up and carry him anywhere, and he doesn't care...

My medical question is this. He still sneezes like crazy, and the mucus is everywhere when he does it. It's kinda nasty, and I know it can't be fun for him. What could this be, and what might I be able to do to help him? You can see the runny nose in the picture, along with a FULLY haired cat with almost perfect hair! I still gotta get more meat on his bones, but he's actually very healthy except for the runny nose.

OK, I've rambled enough about my feline friend. I'll stop here. HEHE :big_smile:

Attached Files:

2. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    There are a lot of Vets here. I am just one of them. I just happen to have spent a little time getting there. What is a Vet anyhow? or a Doctor? or a Physicist? anybody with brains can be anything without having that thing hanging on the wall that cost so much money..

Why don't ya Google up "Cat Chronic Sinusitis" esp the bacterial causes. I think that will help ya.

Your story interests me because of the interaction of this cat and you. Rarely does a cat put it's trust in a single member of the family. It's is either all or none usually.

I think you should have that cat psychologically evaluated. LOL

Later, John.

3. takeaction

takeaction New Member

State:
    Ware Shoals, SC
    Thank you John. I didn't mean JUST vets, and I apologize to everyone if my wording led to that. :sad2:

Yeah he ONLY likes me. everyone in the family can pet him and he will rarely sit in Karen's lap, but I'm the ONLY one that can pick him up. He comes up and gives me kisses (YUCK) and sits in my lap, sits on my desk, and sometimes jumps up in the bed with us. He has never scratched the granddaughter that we are aware of, but she has been warned not to try to pick him up, which is probably why. LOL

Thank you so much for the instructions. researching now!