one more for the collection

Discussion in 'LOCAL KANSAS TALK' started by warcraft1975, Mar 14, 2009.

1. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

another thread i was just reading made me wanna tell ya'll about something i was given today.even though i am sure most of you will not know him but i was given a hoopnet tag today from a famliy friend of one richard higgins. he was one member of a famliy here in lawrence that comm. fished the kansas river both leagelly and illeagelly much of there lives. i collect this kind of stuff and have for some time . i had met richard a very long time ago and now i have one of his old tags.i have a large collection of this kinda stuff from the books they wrote to the traps they used. since this is a tag for hoopnets it would be very old.i was just tickeled to have it since i didnt have one of his tags.i now i can add him along with the rest of the higgins famliy and tom burns collection. maybe i will take a pic of all my stuff to show if people would wanna see it.most of it i have in cases but like to take them out and show people. i think my fav.thing about collecting this kinda stuff is the long weird storys that always seem to follow each of them.

2. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Tom, congrats on what sounds like a real treasure. I have a collection too, different than your's, but I always post my new stuff. I know we'd all be interested in seeing what you have.:wink:

3. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    Tom i for one would love to see the stuff and hear the storys behinde it

4. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Very interesting Tom. Id love to see the pics and hear the stories. All the old history of Lawrence and the Kansas River is very interesting.

5. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    Post it up. That would be neat to see.

6. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

its the history of the goings on of the kansas river thats gets me going. this area was a hot spot for fish trapping rum running and so on all takeing place on the kaw.i have alot of stories passed to me stored away in my mind but alot of the guys that used to do it all.very interesting stuff at lest to me.i hope one day all of the stuff i have collected will end up in the ku history museum along with the other stuff.some of it may stay in the famliy though.

7. rush_60

rush_60 New Member

State:
    Troy, KS
    Tom, any chance of you bringing a couple items to the gathering for us to look over?

8. heyop_erator

heyop_erator New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I hope you add an album to your page with the stories. I know it takes time...lol... I sure would be stopping by to read and look at your collection,nudge,nudge...I've got all my fingers and toes crossed hoping you'll get my hint...

9. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

i dont mind bringing them people just will have to understand alot of this stuff is very old and may break if mishandled other than that i dont mind at all

10. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

it will take some time but i will do it if ya''ll want to see it.monday i am supossed to be getting a few more things, i sent out my tom burns book with jim wiggins to be signed by a few surviveing people that were mentioned in the book i wish i could have gotton them all on there but time wasnt on our side.alot of them have long since passed away.i have been begging and pleading with jim(cousin to the higgins famliy) to get me another hand made hoopnet from this other guy who ended up with alot of these guys stuff so we shall see on it.i got all kinds of oddball stuff these guys made for there fish trapping over the years in my mind is kinda like folk art with a purpose.lol

11. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

even though i must admit i am surprised anyone wants to see it really.i thought it was just me that was interested in it

12. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

[​IMG] this link will take you to the pic saved in photobucket. the pic is of the trap tag since i was sitting here messing with it i went ahead a took a pic of it.takeing a pic of shiney brass is harder than i thought i i fix it enough for it to be read.

13. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Tom , can you post a pic of the cover of that Tom Burns book?

14. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

[​IMG] this is the front shot of the burns book its also the nicest of the 60 years on the kaw books i have collected and is being signed by a few of those mentioned in the book over the course of the weekend makes me nervous with it not being with me but i know its in good hands.but i cant wait to put it back in its case..lol

15. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Awesome. Crazy hes out there in an old row boat. :smile2:

16. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

crazy as it seems to you and me but tom burns and alot of other guys rowed boats on the kaw for like 40 plus years while all this was going on,tom burns was built like a ox even at 60 plus years old.they had small out board motors later on they would use but preferred to oar the old hand made heavy as heck wood boats for what ever reason.i think alot of it is some of the stuff they did was not legal and the motor was loud.

17. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

[​IMG] heres a pic of tom burns in his late 60's tom burns was a short man only being like 5'5 or so the muddies hes holding are in the low and high 40 pound range and you can see that they are half as long as he is tall,,lol short but stocky for sure

18. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Awesome Tom. Do you have more pics of him with fish ?

19. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

yeah i have a whole collection of them

20. unclebuncle

unclebuncle New Member

State:
    Humboldt,K
    Real interesting Tom I had no idea anyone collected stuff like this.I met an old man years ago that waded the Neosho with a big cane pole for flatheads.I asked him what he did if he hooked one too big and hes said he just let go of the pole and let it pull the pole around for awhile and then went and fought him some more.I wish I had gotten to know him better.