One more about "bowfin" or "dogfish" or "grinnel"

Discussion in 'ALL OTHER FISH' started by jerseycat9, Jul 13, 2006.

1. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    Who else loves to catch these prehistoric fighters from the past? I for one am just as happy for a dogfish as a channel cat 1,000,000 years Strong and still going SOUND OFF BOWFINNERS

2. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    Hard to beat the fight they give,I always let them go to fight another day.Especially like when they jump 2 or 3 times like a bass.

3. SpaceAce

SpaceAce New Member

State:
    w
    Around here they are known as "blackfish" and I hate to catch them myself. They are worthless and they ruin lures, leaders, etc.

4. Taliesin

Taliesin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    If it swims, I love to catch it. Haven't caught one of those before though.

I have been catching a lot of gar lately, and everyone around here starts making ugly faces. Still fun for me though.

5. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    Hey space case the thread you want is further down the page this is for the people WHO LIKE TO CATCH THEM

6. paleocaver

paleocaver New Member

State:
    USA
    I've only caught one but it was really fun. Got it on light tackle fishing for shellcrakers. Was a blast. Would love to catch more.

7. treddinwater

treddinwater Active Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    I've never caught one, don't think they are in any of the waters I fish. I would like to catch one though, people always remark about the hard, drag screaming fights they put up, would like to find out for myself:cool2: .

8. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    If you catch one you lovem or hate right away And Rick I hope the info that I gave ya helps in finding your first dogfish cause there a blast for sure

9. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Rich folks pay big money and travel all over the world to catch fish that can fight like that.To judge them "worthless because they fight so hard that "they ruin lures,leaders,etc".Why would anyone fish for fish that won;t ruin lures and leaders.I am a cripple and I will take a fighter over a wimp on a rod any day.Any fish that will put a whipping on me and my gear was a thrill.Still is.Yep!Some do hate a fighter on a pole.Some of us love it.Yea.They are hell on your gear and to release.They will hurt you.Ain;t that a very small price to pay for what they give you? I do remember when some said the same about Catfish.peewee-williams

10. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    Great post Al I to remember not long ago people had the same views on catfish My first dogfish was on a 5ft ultra light with six pound test I didnt get the job done but the rest of the week I can tell you i wasnt fishing for pike:big_smile:

11. vinny

vinny New Member

State:
    ill.
    any fish that will hit and fight good is allright with me

12. whiskerchaser

whiskerchaser Member

State:
    New Mexico
    never caught one dont think we have them around my part but i would like to, any fish i would like to catch at least one.

13. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    hey whisker Ill check it out for ya

14. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    nope dont seem to be that far west sorry if ya ever come out this way I can give you info on any state

15. toddrod

toddrod New Member

State:
    Vacherie,LA
    I LOVE them. They put up one heck of a fight and they are very good to eat as well. Here in south Louisiana, many people will trade you fish that they have caught for fresh dogfish ( in Louisiana we call them Choupique (sounds like shoe-pick)). If you fillet them when they are still alive and batter them with yellow mustard and hot sauce then dip in seasoned cornmeal and deep fry, thet taste very good. Also, you can make a patty with them by poaching the fillets in water, then take the meat and mix with onions, bell peppers, seasoned bread crumbs and some boiled potatos then pan fry them. Do not try to freeze the fillets as they will turn to muss and they fish must be kept on ice or live until you are able to clean them are the meat will not be good. You can even buy them live for 5-7 dollars a piece here. And did you know that the roe from these fish are use to make a very high quality cavier that sells for upwards of $18 a pound. Looks can be decieving. The older people here fish them with 15-20 ft cane poles with heavy nylon string and a cork with usually beef heart, shrimp, crawfish and blugills for bait. When the fish bite, you just pull them straight out of the wateron to land, what a sight.

16. BamaCats

BamaCats Member

State:
    Alabama
    hey jerseycat, down here in south alabama we call them blackfish. and i love to catch them. They are really good eating fish and a reallly good fighting fish do dont let no one discourage you from catching them cause they will make for a fun diverson when you are waiting for Mr. Whiskers to bite.

17. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    hey if any of you guys would like to go out and catch a dogfish but arent sure were to go or how to fishem post it here and Ill be glad to help you tie into your first or more or just pm me with your location and the area you fish I have literraly caught hundreds over the years from canada to kentucky so hit me up if you want

18. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    Hey guys Sunday evening Im heading to a lake that is supposed to be choked withem it is a rumor but if its true I will have a report for ya

19. King of the Shad

King of the Shad New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    We caught about 20 of them. They were all about 4 lb's but the biggest was 6 lb's. Strangely we caught all of them on crickets. Must have been real hungry.

20. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    Any fish that will bite my hook And give me a fight is all right by me:cool2: