one mans loss is anothers gain...vittles....

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by catfish kenny, Nov 13, 2007.

1. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    :dribble:Yesterday I got a call and I was asked if I wanted a deer,This ole boy in Missouri shot a 12pt and all he wanted was the rack.He told us he doesnt like to eat em but dont like em to goto waste either so I spent 1/2 the night gettin me and my familey some vittles.To think the missus was getten ready to order a meat bundle.....glad she put er off. He has 3 more tags to fill and he is gonna call us.I know this ole buck we cleaned is gonna be on the tough side but that is what crock pots are for....Have a roast giong fer supper tonight after work and you ought to smell it....Man I am one happy camper.I can eat deer instead of beef all year round and money is on the tight side with x-mass and all coming so this realy helps us out....Chunkey chilli this weekend:dribble::big_smile_2::boss:

2. PHLIPS4BIGKATS

PHLIPS4BIGKATS New Member

State:
    Alma Kansas
    Ihere you there ,a friend of mine gave me a back strap and rear quarter. think I will be grillen this weekend.

3. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    Take the tenderloins if ya got em sprinkle with salt & pepper, wrap in bacon and grill em! add some hickory if you like but this is great way to grill venison loins.

4. catmandu1962

catmandu1962 New Member

State:
    missouri
    youre lucky, im still tryin to get one.lol. deer meat is better for you also, very lean.

5. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Theres no meat like free meat, That should make for some good eating.

6. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa

7. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I eat the loins heavily seasoned, fried fast, and still steamin' for breakfast with eggs, hot sauce, and toast if it was a morning hunt. if it was an evening hunt, I'll season them and let the marinate till the next morning. My catfish steaks never get put in the freezer!

8. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I was lucky to get any roast..got home later from work and......shoo-wee had to all but fight the kids just to lick the pot.....realy good.....Tough buck is no match fer a crockpot.

9. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    BBQd deer ribs are great! But if you happen to not want them BBQd, be sure to bone them out for hamburger meat. Be sure to bone out the neck and chop up the meat for chili. Generally I'd cut off all the meat on the front quarters and grind it into hamburger. Make sure ALL the tallow is off the meat, then grind it at a ratio of 3 or 4 parts venison to one part beef suet. I used to grind about 100# a year.

10. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Kenny, gaminess comes from the fat, tallow and silver skin like "JTrue" says. Once you have your meat cleaned up and you're afraid it will be too dry you can "lard" the meat with bacon strips shoved in the meat in small slits. You can shove garlic in small holes to.

I like to pan sear my meat cuts in seasoned flour before I put them in a crockpot. Whether chili or a stew with soup and tomatos it makes better tasting meat.

11. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Thanks Fellas ....we had hobo dinners last night with some of the burger,it was just plain delicious.....