One last Striper trip

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by Paraguayguy, Dec 27, 2008.

1. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I think Elvis is about ready to leave the building. Water at Kiptopeake was 41 today. We saw plenty of bait and big stripers on the sonar. Catching was a different matter. Funny tides again today. Water was slack for four hours straight. Water was flat as a pancake. Almost glass smooth going across the Bay the morning and again coming back at dusk.

I caught one big one on a free swimming eel as we drifted along slowly at the tail end of the incoming tide. Zero fish on the outgoing and tried 4 different spots. Almost no chatter on the radio about decent fishing anywhere!

Anyway,,,I did catch a 48 inch almost 50 pound pig of a striper. I might go again Tuesday.

The fishing grounds from the Kiptopeake ramp is all of 300 yards. On nice days every single catfish boat I see on the James could fish the part of the Bay close to that ramp. If a storm comes or the weather changes ,,,you are a quick dash to safety.

Attached Files:

2. riverhobo85

riverhobo85 New Member

State:
    VA
    dang that is one really nice striper. congrats on the fish and have a happy new year.

3. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Thats a really nice striper!! Congrats on a fine catch!!:big_smile:

4. critter68

critter68 New Member

State:
    Alexandria, Virginia
    Nice striper Ken! Happy New Year to you!

5. mbandjb

mbandjb New Member

State:
    Central Va
    Nice fish Kenneth,Were you using your boat??
    mikeb

6. cattracker13

cattracker13 New Member

State:
    tennessee
  7. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I was fishing with a buddy the last two days. He has a 24 foot center console. We have been leaving Perrins Creek in Glouster on the York River and going across the Bay. Its 18 miles from Grey's dock to the Concrete Ships and Kiptopeke Ramp. Yesterday it was so flat you could have easily crossed the bay in a canoe. Friday it was 1-2 footers. Doable in my 20 foot Lund but uncomfortable with lots of spray. I wouldn't recommend anybody crossing the bay in a small boat in the winter on anything but the best days...

That said,,,,,the ramp at Kiptopeke is another thing. Even on 1-2 foot days, a small boat is fine. You are only going 300 yards or so to where you are fishing. Once you start fishing, you aren't under power, just drifting with the tide. Since there are 100 boats within sight drifting eels with you, any boat trouble and a radio call will probably get you a short tow to the ramp. If the weather does get nasty, haul butt to the ramp which is 300 yards to one mile away depending on where you are drifting.

Yesterday I saw kayaks and 12 foot jon boats with 10 hp engines fishing. You just pick your days. Do a google and there are several good "wind and waves" marine forcast and current conditions of the Bay web pages. I check them for the last time at 5:00 AM as I am heading out the door. I don't like surprizes.

8. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    beautiful fish, Congrats.