one last shot

Discussion in 'Gateway Catfishing Club' started by TheMadCatter, Nov 6, 2009.

1. TheMadCatter

TheMadCatter New Member

State:
    missouri
    its been a while since i have posted but i want to let you guys know that i went to help a friend of mine put some sand bags around her basement, this was in response to the crazy rise of the meramec last week (which she lives directly on). in an effort to not waste a chance at being so close to the water and not fishing, i took one rod with me (stump puller), and the last live pearch in my bait tank. cast it out there, threw some bells on it, and went to help sandbag.
    a few hours later she mentioned that she heard a ringing, it took a couple minutes for it to register that i had a line out with bells on it......lol. as i ran to the shore i could hear the bells going nuts, and the drag screaming and stopping- screaming and stopping.
    by the time i got out there the was and easy 100 yards of line out......lmao......its good that the stump puller has about 425 yards on it. turned off freespool and started fighting it in. needless to say it took a while. thought i snagged up a couple times, but lady luck was shinning on me that day, and i got the cat in.
    a guy who lived across the street had a scale at his house so i got to wiegh it......37 pounds. not a bad meramec flathead. would have gotten a picture for you guys but no one had a camera :sad2:. oh well, not bad for my last attempt till next year, but who knows.....maybe ill try again, and remember to bring a dam camera.

2. BigCatter54

BigCatter54 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    Congrats on a really nice fish, I also never have a camera around (r on that has good batteries) when i need it.

3. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    One guaranteed way to catch a big fish is to not have a camera lol works everytime. Congrats on a really good fish and thanks for the story. That's awesome

4. TheMadCatter

TheMadCatter New Member

State:
    missouri
    also forgot to add, as if those of you who know me didnt already know, the fish was released. for that matter, in better condition then it was caught, because i removed 2 large hooks from his lip. mine and some other persons.

5. buckdoe270

buckdoe270 New Member

State:
    Overland, Mo
    Way to go Brandon, some of my best fish came from not watching the
    rod.

6. FLOAT TRIP WILLIE

FLOAT TRIP WILLIE Active Member

State:
    St. Louis
    ALL my fish come from not watching.... Never seen a real take down from the jump til I seen that Monster Cat clip...:wink: HINT,HINT

7. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Very happy for ya Brandon. Hows the sand bags holding? I think it crested yesterday.

8. olejer

olejer New Member

State:
    Herculaneum Mo.
    sounds like a good fish story -good job

9. grandpa7

grandpa7 New Member

State:
    alabama
    Good fish and story. Reps to you for helping in the sandbagging.

10. theonecatfishbob

theonecatfishbob New Member

State:
    Wright City, Missouri
    Congrats on the fish. I thought the water may be too cool for a flathead but I guess I dont know as much as I thought. Got to file that little bit of info for later use.

11. olejer

olejer New Member

State:
    Herculaneum Mo.
    What did you use for Bait?

12. hillbilly25002000

hillbilly25002000 New Member

State:
    missouri
    way to go brandon great story:big_smile:

13. TheMadCatter

TheMadCatter New Member

State:
    missouri
    my last live perch was the bait.

truthfuly i expected nothing to bite, as i thought it would be too cold for flats, like bob said. but the one thing the meramec allways does is surprise me. from the 20 pound blue my buddy caught some months back, to this guy, it is a source of amazment to me. especially when you here people say that there are no fish in the meramec. now a 20 or 37 most people wouldnt consider to be that big (and i dont for that matter), but considering it came from meramec, i see those wieghts as well above average and i am very happy to hang that kind of wieght from that particular body of water.

sorry for delay in reply olejer, my computer has been not working, and i was unable to get online, but she is back now......so hooray for that!

also, sorry i didnt get in touch with you willie about fishing, as i said my computer was down and it is where i keep my phone numbers list.

14. FLOAT TRIP WILLIE

State:
    St. Louis

Brandon you didnt miss much.... I did show Jerry your tire tracks down there but no fish to report..

15. FLOAT TRIP WILLIE

State:
    St. Louis
    The rivers are at somewhat a stand still and it will be around 58 tomorrow... Whos fishing???

16. theonecatfishbob

theonecatfishbob New Member

State:
    Wright City, Missouri
    Got a sister turning 60. Got to go to the surprise party. Would rather go to the river but I dont want to get beat up.