One knot

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by ka_c4_boom, Apr 3, 2007.

1. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    im sure the mods will move this soon to a spot more fitting to them but for now its here :lol:

ryang asked me for more info on my no swivel rig so i sketched it out i hope everyone can make since of it

and before you ask yes it will twist up but it only twists when reeled in , when in the current the bait tends to wave back and forth

Attached Files:

2. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Thats a nice knot.

3. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    Thanks Charles Ill have to try that. I think tho instead of the sinker at the bottom I could put another hook and put a no roll with a bead just before the Double Square how do you think that would look? Or would it tangle too much?

4. rushing

rushing New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Used to use a similiar rig for bait fishing trout.

5. katcatchingfool

katcatchingfool New Member

State:
    illinois
    just a ? for ya what size fish do you target when using that set up i tried to rig my pole that way one time and it seems like the knot is not very strong, my line keep breaking at the knot ,it might work great for smaller fish i dont think i would use it for larger fish just my two cents

6. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Ain't that what we call a dropper loop? It works well for big fish too. I use that with heavy line fishing in current with rocks, and tie the weight on the bottom with lighter line using an albright knot. Never had the knot break yet.

7. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    you might give it a try , i wont but you could , i always use this rig but i dont care for slip sinkers and i only use j style hooks and i also fish the ohio river where the current is always strong the places i catch fish you wouldnt want to fall in for when you get out (IF?) you get out you will be a mile down river

this rig works well in current and i also use it drifting by bouncing the sinker off the bottom i prefer a tight line that way i can see when the fish first picks up the bait

by the way this is the rig my brother vern got me to use when he broke me from bass fishing over to catfish , yes i have always been a bass fan go ahead and ride me if you like but i have caught as many bass in three days as most people have catfish in a year 400 in 3 days top that :lol: the big thing to this rig is it works for me

the numbers of fish iv caught with it should be proof enough

good luck to who ever uses it

8. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    iv caught a 65# blue and 50+# flathead useing this rig 30# biggame mono in the last 8 years of fishing this way iv only had 1 fish break it and that was this past weekend but i still will use it in the future

9. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Charles instead of the double sqare knot learn to tie a dropper loop and rig the same way. It's easy to tie and will work alot better for you. The double square knot is fine for attaching the sinker but you will like the dropper loop better for attaching the hook.JMHO

10. dogcat

dogcat New Member

State:
    Dayton Area Ohio
    Thanks for a great post and drawing.

11. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
    I use the same rig and it works very well, the knot used is called a surgeons loop. The weak spot in this knot is the tag end to which the sinker is attached, this allows the sinker to break off when hung up but the hook stay firmly tied on. I have landed a good many flats in the 40-50lb range with this rig using 17, 20, and 30lb line with no problems and several of those fish got the sinker hung in the rocks, the tag end of the line would break at the knot but the hook and the fish stayed on. My sons pb 55lb flat was caught on 17lb line using this rig.

12. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I use that rig a lot when I am drifting a ledge