One good eater Channel catfish and a bunch of bites

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by Sentry Dog Man, Sep 4, 2006.

1. Sentry Dog Man

Sentry Dog Man New Member

State:
    TN
    Hi Guys,

I did manage to get one good eating size Channel late this evening. Had a bunch of bites near dark, right after I boated this one. But, they just would not get serious. They were hitting both nightcrawlers and garlic cured chicken livers. I caught this one on nightcrawlers, two of them on a 3/0 Kahle hook. I had circle hooks on the other 3 rods I was using and was trying to let them do their thing. But, they would never run with it and load the rod up. Even the one on the Kahle hook never really ran with it.

I did have a huge bluegill on one rod, which I had out for flatheads. But, no luck.

I was fishing a river today (for a change). I set up, slightly above and to the left of a pretty fair log jam. Water depth varied from between 12 and 15 feet deep. That was the deepest water I found anywhere in the mile and half stretch I checked out with the depth locator. Most of the water ranged from 5 to 10 feet deep.

I rigged all my rods with a Paternoster rig, to keep the bait a foot or more (no more than 18") above bottom.

I have attached a pic of the fish. He weighed 4 pounds and 1 ounce and was 22 inches long. Although, if you can read the scale in the pic, it just shows 3 pound 8 ounces, since I was holding the fish near the tail to keep him from spinning around.

Anyway, hope you enjoy the pic. He is nothing to brag about. But, he gave me a lot of fun and excitement.

Attached Files:

2. whisker hunter

whisker hunter New Member

State:
    Springfield,Ohio
    Nice fish,and you had fun.Sounds like a great evening!

3. treddinwater

treddinwater Active Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Nice cat, next time maybe you'll get a few more for the frying pan. Oh yeah, and nice scale, I got the same one.

4. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Sounds like you had some fun to me that's what makes it so wonderful! I'm happy for you!-----------pk powell:smile2:

5. bud1110

bud1110 New Member

State:
    East Texas
    All ya need is a few more of those and it's fish fry time....Congrats on a nice fish..

6. ayokay005

ayokay005 New Member

State:
    Maryland
    Try using a double bottom rig, and ude 2 different baits!
    I use fresh night crawlers and fresh shrimp ( size 41-50)
    can't keep em off ( well exept for the maryland blue crab they will get ya too!:lol: )
    hope this helps!

7. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Brag away! Its a caught fish! LOL!

8. rebelzgrl76

rebelzgrl76 New Member

State:
    CO
    Thats a nice one Mike, made the time worth while. Thanks for posting! I usually try to use different baits as well, try that next time. Its like doubling your chances. :big_smile:

9. catfisher43

catfisher43 New Member

State:
    missouri
    nice fish mike.thats what its all about.

10. bigcatJoe

bigcatJoe New Member

State:
    indiana
    Sounds like you had a good time.