one fish

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by indiana_fishin, Oct 6, 2005.

1. indiana_fishin

indiana_fishin New Member

State:
    Indiana Baby
    Just got back from fishin a little bit ago.Went 4 about 3 hrs,woulda stayed longer but just no fish bitin :mad: I did miss a few,but landed like a 10lb channel on my ultralite.1st time i ever used garlic hotdogs 2.ill post the pics once i get em developed

2. Gator

Gator New Member

State:
    Ludowici GA
    hey bro sounds like you had a good day any way. Any day I can fish is a good day. Bet that was fun on the ultrlight,

3. Abu

Abu New Member

State:
    Hemlock,Ohio
    Congratulations on a nice channel cat. I bet it was a real good fight on an ultralight. I caught a channel earlier this year that weighed two pounds less than yours on an ultralight while I was fishing for bluegills, thought he was going to breakoff for sure but finally got him in. Good job getting him landed and I have a feeling it won't be the last time you will use garlic hotdogs. :) Once I hook a nice fish like yours I never forget what bait I was using. Abu

4. maddcatter

maddcatter New Member

State:
    Newark, Oh
    I've never fished for cats with an ultra light. Wow, that sounds fun. Best I've ever done with an ultra light was a 3lb b@$$. Congrats!!

5. s_self88

s_self88 New Member

State:
    Shawnee, Kansas
    I fish for channels on ultralites. It makes it a lot more fun when when the fish are less than 2 pounds. It's not much of a sport when your catching 1-2 pound fish on a 7-9 ft. heavy action rod. The biggest I've landed on a ultralite this year was a 5-6 lb. and a 4.4lb channel.

6. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    now that sounds like fun! congratulations
    i would love to catch a new cat on an ultralight, but i would probably lose him

7. chinook

chinook New Member

State:
    Illinois
    During times when the catfish bite is slow on regular (big) baits I put on a 1/16 oz crappie jig and tip it only with a redworm or nightcrawler piece so I can catch whatever is biting. I use my regular ultralight pole and reel. I always catch at least 2 or 3 catfish (1 to 3 lb) every trip. Sometimes bigger--in fact this summer I even caught a 10lb stripper.It is all great fun.

8. LilRyjoe04

LilRyjoe04 New Member

State:
    Indianapolis,Indiana
    That sounds like one heck of a fight on an ultralight!! When I catch small channels on my 10 foot pole with thirty pound test it's kind of a joke reeling them in. :happy: Good Luck Fishin!!

9. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    heck a 10#er on an ul ide be nothing but smiles.

10. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

still a heck of a nice fish

11. JMarrs328

JMarrs328 New Member

State:
    York/Harrisburg, PA
    It's fun trying to land a big channel on light line isn't it?!?!?! :)

12. eaglesfan00000

eaglesfan00000 New Member

State:
    Virginia
    What if you lose a citation because you were fishing with a ultralite?? :sad:
    I dont care if they come in easy at least I know i got it. So I fish prepared.

13. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    Eaglesfan- Why do you think they call it sportfishing? it kind of takes all the fun out of it if you just crank every fish in. If your going for dinner i can understand using slightly heavier line, but once you have as much as you know you can eat, switch over to an ultra light rig... it really is an adreniline rush...

just because you use light line doesn't mean bigfish can't come in on it... the IGFA records on UL for channel are like 24 lbs for 2lb test line and 32 for 4... its my goal to break one of those two records before i die... i can't remember what the records are for blues and Flats but they should be around the same.... If you know how to fight a fish then you will be able to catch them on UL...

My biggest so far on UL was around 8 or 9 lbs... but i catch 5-6#ers all the time on 4#test line... as long as you don't try it from a pier or bridge and try lifting the fish too much out of the water, your line will be fine...

14. eaglesfan00000

State:
    Virginia
    I haven't cranked every fish in. Thats why I come prepared.
    It is sport fishing I've lost citations with the right tackle, I've had some good fights with. I lost a citation once when I was using a bass reel with 12 pound test and that was the end for me, go ahead and reel a citation to the bank and let your line break.It dont feel good. But if thats what you like than
    go ahead.

15. centralcalcat

centralcalcat New Member

State:
    Marion, TX
    I fished with an ultra light for channels a few times in San Diego, tons of fun. I landed 6 one day on it the biggest being 8lbs. Tyring to finesse them in on 4lb test was a lot of fun.

16. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    eaglesfan.... Sounds to me that you didn't have the drag set correctly if you break off fish at the bank...

from the bank fishing w/ UL a long handled net is almost a must... because you can't pull fish up onto the bank like you would w/ other stronger lines and if there is something in your way like longs or grasses, it can become damn near impossible to grab the fish by hand...

I fish off of the bank almost 100% of the time, closest i come to being in a boat right now is about a 20 ft dock at my friends place on the Sassafras river and even then there is a net by my side...

17. SilverCross

SilverCross New Member

State:
    Fairbury, Illin
    ultra lights are deffinately fun to fish with. My biggest was in 04 and was an 8# channel. I have heavier gear I am using now, but still fish with my ultra light also.

18. eaglesfan00000

State:
    Virginia
    I had my drag set the cat pulled and shoke the line until it broke.
    I know how to fish buddy, I lost that fish because the line was not strong enough, maybe it was just my luck but I'd would rather be prepared than sorry. JUst wait until you lose a citation, it anit fun. Now I can see that you might have fun with the fight but I would rather feel save .

19. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    nice channel bro.! waitin for those pics.

20. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    eagles fan... if you fought the fish properly then the line shouldn't have broken, you are just scapegoating the line for a mistake you made... heavier line just allows you to have more mistakes and get away with them... kind of like training wheels on a bike, when you start out if you lean to one side or another you won't fall because they help hold you up.. but if you lean to one side or the other w/ out them then you will fall... Like i said before, a net is almost a must for light tackle fishing and even fishing from shore on almost any test line...

The majority of the time i've lost fish is when I made a mistake, not setting the drag right, pulling at the wrong time when fighting a fish, trying to lift fish up 10 feet to the pier when using light line, etc... the only other time i've had fish cut me off is when i've not put a steel leader on my line when in serious Pike territory...

i've caught smallmouth bass hellbent on spooling my reel on 4lb test (4+lbers) and never had one break off because of my line before...

Even caught Bass out of fallen down trees with deepdiving crankbaits on 4 lb test line... which takes some bit of skill w/ out losing all your lures...

You may verywell know how to fish, you may also know how to catch but fighting a fish esp close range doesn't seem to be one of your strong points...

and to answer have i lost a certificate fish because of line breaking, the answer is no... Any fish that has broken my line, tossed my hook or had a long distance release of some sort i have no idea what their weight is or size since i can't weigh a fish merely by feel alone... Have i lost big fish yes, its frustrating but thats why you don't always land all the fish you have bite your hook... Heck the Pro's in FLW tour have around a 50-60% bite to hook up ratio... with about an 85-90% landing those they hook ratio...