One big shad I caught!

Discussion in 'Shad Talk' started by ncfowler, Mar 12, 2006.

1. ncfowler

ncfowler Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Name:
    Jeff
    I was netting shad for bait at Oak Hollow lake today , You know the ones that are about 3"-6" in length. I casted out the net and brought in a shad it was about 12" and on a second cast I got one about 15". I grew up in Pa on the Delaware river and fished for American shad in the spring run where I got ones in the 20lb range. and I know that several other spicies of shad that get big but the rice shad are the smaller of the spicies. well we have some good cut bait for the bigones.

2. catmanofohio

catmanofohio New Member

State:
    Aberdeen (Southern Ohio)
    Wow those beast are huge... only gizzard shad around here

3. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    Guys they do get up to about 20 inchs. I have got a couple 19s. This year I just completed a 35 gal round live Shad tank fer the truck. Also ordered some 10/0 hooks fer them thar big live Gizzard Shad.

4. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have caught quite a few gizzard shad in the 12-15 inch range, they are great bait.

5. bill_gfish

bill_gfish New Member

State:
    st. marys, oh
    There are huge shad in our lake, easy 20 inchers. couldn't even fathom a 20# shad. I have had so many of those sumos, I call em, in the net at one time it hard as heck to lift dead out of the water over rocks and such. I believe ours are gizzard shad too. I prefer the 7-8 inchers most of the time though.

6. JAYNC

JAYNC New Member

State:
    Newport N.C.

Wow 20lb shad, the world record for american shad is 11lbs. I caught some shad the other morning one was 19" and a few 18's and I am sure they probably only weighed maybe 3-4lbs. It sure would be fun to even hook into a 7-8lb shad, with an ultralight and 6lb test it would be a lot of fun.

7. Jamey

Jamey New Member

State:
    Pegram, Tennessee
    I would love to be able to fill up a coffee can full of shad guts - from a single shad! :cool:

8. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

State:
    Pataskala, Ohio
    Name:
    Clarence
    I have been bowfishing up in Lake erie and got several over 15". They can get pretty good size.

9. flannelman

flannelman New Member

ive seen many people catch shad that size and bigger. people pay good money for them up here since their such good bait

10. catchinghogs

catchinghogs Well-Known Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Check out the pic of this shad the flathead was a twenty pounder that got snagged in my fishing partners line he was using bluegills for bait and the shad was still alive!

Attached Files:

11. delawareriver

delawareriver Member

State:
    bath pa
    yea i think he meant 20 inchs and not 20# but yes up here on the delaware we get them up to about 8# with every once in awhile one going near 10#, and yes they are one of the best fighters on 6 pound line.

12. ncfowler

ncfowler Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Name:
    Jeff
    i made a mistake in my post 20lb a little exaggerated using a ultra light trout rod makes any big fish even seam bigger. here is a link to a shad tourament held in Easton Pa. every year check out the weights http://mgfx.com/delaware/ you will need to cut and paste.

13. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    We fish for the American Shad in my area.The Bucks normaly run 2-4 lbs.4 lb.is BIG.Roes run 4-8 lb. normaly.Very early roes can & often do run smaller,as the roe will be less developed.As a rule the later,the larger.Our May Shad are known for being the largest.The largest that I ever saw was caught with a spoon on a limb line around the first of May.I was later told that it weighed over 9 lbs.on the store scale,and that the row alone weighed over 2 lbs.Roe shad caught in January normaly have very small roe,compared to the later shad.Not only does this make a lot of difference in the size,but the way that they fight.The shad with the larger roes don;t seem to fight as hard.peewee-williams

14. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Same here, we catch big shad like that all the time around here. But they are really from the ocean and entirely different then Gizzard Shad, Threadfin Shad, etc.

Zakk:)

15. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    I catch some gizzard shad in april up on the Sassafras on MD's Eastern Shore that range from 16-18 inches...

When i headed out with Jonnycat a few weeks ago to go fishing, he said he had been able to get some gizzard shad the day before and i was thinking ohok 8 -10 inchers and we'll be able to use them well during the day... well when he opened the cooler where he had them and they were 17+ inches goi i laughed... They'll get up that big and bigger... there are some american and hickory shad that come out of the potomac each year that get close to 20 inches some even bigger...

16. Fatkat

Fatkat New Member

State:
    Blanchester, Ohio
    Where's up here?

17. mazdabob

mazdabob New Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, IA (Omaha)
    This was about 10 minutes worth of snagging after ice out a couple weeks ago.
    snagged shad

18. Catchinbiguns

Catchinbiguns Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    What a sight, I want to learn more about Shad.

19. delawareriver

delawareriver Member

State:
    bath pa
    yes snagging shad is alot easier then catching them, last year while shark fishing we would watch for the shad to come up and down the beach and when we found a school we would jig 2 or 3 hooks though the school and after you get one you let it sink while strugling because right behind and below the the shad were the sharks. we learned the hard way when we were snagging with lighter poles just to get them for bait and bring them in we hooked like 3 sharks that didnt last long on the light gear. so thats how we delvelope to just let the dieing shad sink.

20. Doyle

Doyle New Member

State:
    Illinois
    You learn a lot from the BOC. I didn't any shad was good eating. I didn't know any shad got bigger that 6-8 inches. I need to get to the bigger rivers.