One big catfish can make your year

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by flathunter, Jun 2, 2009.

1. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    In the past I have fished hard all summer long with very poor results.

Just when I think it's not worth it, I catch a big flathead that makes the whole year seem great.

This year I got lucky and got my big fish early.

My fishing buddy Roger is having one of those years where nothing works, and he has put alot, alot of effort into it.

But I predict he will catch that one big fish, that will turn his whole year around.

2. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    Jack glad to hear you caught the big one early this year an yes it sure is nice to know all summer you already caught the hawg. I'd say Roger will catch some to before summer ends as patience is a virtue no doult.

3. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    It's like have a 7 touchdown lead, you sit back and chill while waiting for everyone to catch up!:cool2:

The pressure's off now, Jack. Now it's all about enjoyment and maybe getting a bigger one!:wink:

4. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    For me just getting out makes my year:confused2: I dont need a big fish for it, do I want one ummmmm hell yes but realistly if thats all I thought about was catching a biggun I wouldnt fish again.

Wanted to add that watching my boys catch something makes my year more than me catching anything at all.

5. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    The seven or so flatheads I have caught so far this year only add up to about half of what that one you caught weighed :eek:oooh:

12, 9, 4, 2, 1, 1, 1

6. Hoopie

Hoopie New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Its all about being in the right place at the right time! Out on the water helps, there are also things you can do to increase your odds. A fifty pounder out of our river is rare though......but I would like to see another one landed by a brother. Just getting out and spending time on the water with my son is good enough for me, although the big fish make it more memorable.

7. catfishfearme

catfishfearme New Member

State:
    govecity,ohio

i have to agree with you brother.you somed it ALL up

8. HRCats

HRCats New Member

State:
    Ohio
    50s rare??? This is the 2nd one i've netted for Jack in less than a year. Both times we're sitting less than 20 feet apart...same bait....same distance out.....same hole.....he's just luckier than me. It is nice tho netting a fish like that for your buddy!! The year is early and i believe i got one coming and there's no doubt in my mind that my buddy Jack will catch another this year. :confused2::big_smile:

9. Hoopie

Hoopie New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Jack is the exception on this, that is why he is the one and only Flathunter. Often imitated never duplicated. He also does this from the bank not in a boat!

10. Bad_fisherman21

Bad_fisherman21 New Member

State:
    illinois
    Seems like every time im about to say the he!! with it i get a very nice fish that makes me come back for more,
    That what its all about right there

11. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    I'll wait for mine till the snow falls.:smile2::smile2:

12. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    washington court house,oh
    i never set my expectations high,thats why i am never disappointed.told my wife that once,got beat up for it.

i think there are a lot more to fishing than waiting for that big one all the time.i think i have been at my best when i am just out for fun and not trying as hard as i probably should sometimes.just like to sit back and enjoy the scenery and forget about everything else,cause it could be a lot worse

13. Mr. Foster

Mr. Foster New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I think that is what keeps fishing interesting, you never know whats gonna be on the other end of the line.

14. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I wish I could feel this way, but once i caught my first big flathead years ago, fishing totally changed for me.

Now if I dont catch a big fish, I dont have fun, it's all about the trophy for me, and nothing else matters.

When my 2 year old son gets old enough to fish, I might change my mind, but I plan on him landing a 40lber by the time he is 5 years old:big_smile:

But now I am obssed with big fish, thats all I think about everyday, for the past 25 years..I dont have very many good trips, but the few I have make it all worthwhile...If I dont catch a big fish, or my partner does not catch a big fish, I consider the trip worthless..If I want to relax I will set on the couch and watch a movie.

Fishing for me is intense, and not something I do to relax, but it's something I do for the adrenaline rush of catching a big fish. And the feeling of acomplishment, that comes with it.

I only have one hobby, and there is only one thing I enjoy in this life other than my family, that is catching big fish, and thinking about catching big fish.

15. tackleholic

tackleholic New Member

State:
    New Albany
    I think that most of us can agree that it's worth the wait. Expect the unexpected. When fish makes up their minds to bite they bite, when they don't they don't. I wish I could change their minds!:wink:

16. HRCats

HRCats New Member

State:
    Ohio
    LMAO That poor boy doesn't stand a chance. I can see it now....Jacks' son trying to catch a frog that just jumped in the river and Jack yelling..... "What's wrong with you?? I don't think you want to catch a flathead!! Now go get that castnet and catch us some more shad!!"
    It's not gonna be good!!! :wink::smile2:

17. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    He better damn not be trying to catch frogs or playing when we are fishing! he can do that at home, now if he wants to play with the castnet and catch bait thats fine!:smile2:

Just kidding.

18. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    Didnt want to quote the whole thing but it seems you make it more like a job than to have fun. Nothing wrong with that but its just a fish IMO. Granted Ive never caught anything of any size but its still just a fish. Like I said I would love to catch a biggun but when you have kids and they are with you and you are shore bound its near impossible especially if one of the kids probably wouldnt do well on a boat if you had one.

Not trying to knock the thread down but just trying to put another spin on it. You dont feel as if its a good time out unless you catch something big while I consider it a gift just to go out regardless if my boys are with me or not.

19. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Garry I totally understand what you are saying, and in a way it is like a job for me, I dont feel any satisfaction unless I catch a big fish.

I used to enjoy just getting out, untill I caught that first big fish.

If I had to take young kids with me and watch over them, I probably would not catch many...My son will be fishing with me in a few years, and I am already excited about him catching his first bluegill, but also trying to think how I can take him fishing and trying to fish myself, worrying about him getting hurt or something...But then I will be doing it for him, and not for me.

If he dont like fishing, I wont force him to do it.

I dont think like most people..Most things I have done in my life have been failures, and I dont consider myself really being good at anything.

Other than the few big fish I catch a year, so to me those fish are not just fish, they are more important to me than anything other than my wife and son, and the few friends I have.

I live eat and breath flathead fishing, it's the first thing I think about in the morning, and the last thing I think about at night..I Think I am addicted:big_smile:

And to be honest, I dont think I even like fishing...I would rather do about anything other than setting on the river bank getting skunked.

But when I do hook that big fish, that is what I love...I know I am nuts:wink:

20. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    A lot of times if I have my youngest with me I wont even bring my poles and he is 7 just a lot of energy and doesnt want to sit there and fish usually unless he is catching LOL(usually Dillon or Buckeye) so the chance at a biggun there isnt that great (buckeye at least). When he does catch something he is estatic but doesnt like that its hit and miss and wants to catch something every single time.

I want him to see the reality of it and if he doesnt like it thats cool we will find something he does. Now I dont know how he would act if he saw one of those monsters but one of these days I vow to catch something bigger than 10lbs LOL and show him.