One bait tank question before I build...

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by harper81, Jun 15, 2007.

1. harper81

harper81 Member

State:
    Summerville, SC
    I have two options sitting at my house right now. I have a 19 gal round utility tub and I have a 30 gal rectangle utility tub. I hear all the talk about it needs to be round, but I am thinking the 11 extra gallons of space would be more important then the shape. It is one of those rubbermaid types that have the round corners and the sides bow out a bit, so its not a perfect rectangle by any means. So which one would be better to build my tank from? I am hoping to build one so I can catch shad on Friday, use them that night and then still have some alive or recently dead for Saturday night.

2. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Use the round one because shad will huddle up in any area that romotely ressembles a corner and it will stress then to a early death.

3. Clovis

Clovis New Member

State:
    Paris Tennessee
    Agreed. .

4. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Bill if you go down hwy 5 to get to the river there is a man with alot of chickens in his yards and alot of white barrels. they are 15 gallon and work great. I stopped by there one day to see if he would sell me a few and he gave me some. he gets some kind of soap in them. just wash them out good then wash with bleach and rinse well and let dry in the sun cut a hole in the top. works like a charm and small enough to strap to hand trucks to push around.

5. GatorT

GatorT New Member

State:
    Camden, South Carolina
    Ronald has some good advice, there. What sounds like a good tank. But you're going to need a good filter system, and also a way to get air into your water. You can pick up bait saver at your tackle shop, but getting shad to live for two days, especially if it's more than a handfull, good luck to you. I've had no sucess keeping shad for two days.

You can get airators (sp?) at Wal-Mart or tackle shops, and make sure to read and follow the directions as far as the current and air suppy goes. It makes a difference.

The water temp is very important. Weather like we've been having the last three or four days, you won't have to worry about them much. But last week,when the sun was out and it was 90 degrees, it was too hot. You can freeze drink bottles of water in your freezer and just add them to your water to get the temp down - but not too cold, or you'll send them into shock. (My dad bought a dollar fifty floating tank thermoter from Wally world to keep an eye on it.) Get you a small net and don't fish them out with your hands. I don't know why, but it kills them.

Remember, good filtration and not a lot of splashing about of the tank. Hope you can use some of this. Good luck.

6. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    An insulated tank will help out in hot weather. I looked at my local Wal Mart Superstore and found two plastic garbage cans, one 32 gal. and one 28 gal. Looked to me like it would be pretty easy to use some Great Stuff to fill the space between the two cans. Two problems are filtration and making a current (shad like current). You can solve both problems by getting a bilge pump and mounting it inside a plastic food storage box. Cut holes in the box and mount thin pieces of foam over them in such a way that you can easily remove and replace them. Run a piece of tubing or pvc from the outlet of the bilge pump to a spot above the waterline. Use a spray nozzle from the lawn irrigation section of a home improvement store on the end of the tubing/pipe to create a spray down into the water. Make the spray angle into the water at the outside edge of the tank so it creates a circular current in it. The spray helps put oxygen into the water and helps cool the water, too. Change or clean the foam pieces as necessary. I've kept other baitfish alive for days with a similar setup down in Florida, where I might spend several days getting bait for a fishing trip.