onboard battery chargers

Discussion in 'LOCAL INDIANA TALK' started by Damian_Storm, Mar 2, 2006.

1. Damian_Storm

Damian_Storm New Member

State:
    indiana
    i've got a 14' v-bottom and i am thinking of putting on a 50lb thrust trolling motor on there .the plan at the moment is 2 batteries because i will have the fish finder , a pair of lights up front , and the livewell..ofcourse that all wont be running the whole time but, i wanna make sure i can get back to the ramp..i have tried to learn about these onboard chargers but, i just can't seem to find anything..do they work kinda like a cars altenator or what? if anyone could fill me in that would awesome....

2. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    The onboard chargers work the same as a regular battery charger, have to be connected to 120 volt receptacle.

3. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Damian_Storm,

Also maybe some help for you to read THIS.

4. Damian_Storm

Damian_Storm New Member

State:
    indiana
    thanks for the help guys..i guess there isn't a way to keep it charged while i am out huh ?? my buddy has a basstracker with 2 batteries and it's supposed to recharge themselves as long as they don't get tottaly dead..what kinda deal is that?..does a phase charger sound right?

5. GrandpaGoneFishing

GrandpaGoneFishing New Member

State:
    Linn Valley, Ks
    Thanks for the link Damian_Storm. Great info

6. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    He probably has either a battery selector switch so he can connect each battery in turn to the engine alternator or a device called a battery isolator that diverts charging current to a second battery when the first battery is charged. Both of these methods require the the main motor to be running and have a decent alternator output to work...W

7. Damian_Storm

Damian_Storm New Member

State:
    indiana
    thanks metalman, looks like i would be just as well off to throw that new 5 horse briggs on there...i would be goin a mile or 2 up and down the river

8. etipriga

etipriga New Member

State:
    TX
    Im kinda confused, are these chargers the ones that r already on those bigger motors or is there one you can buy to somehow hook it up to the motor. Ive been searching for an on board battery charger but i think those you still have to plug in at the house, right?