Onboard battery chargers - What Kind do I need?

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by Mr.T, Jan 11, 2006.

1. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    Thinking I'd like to have an onboard battery charger to make life easier when I get done fishing for the day.

I have a 24V trolling motor (2 12v batteries) and the 12V starting battery. What kind of onboard charger do I need?

Do I even need to worry about charging the starter battery? I usually hit it with the charger if I've been out of the water for a couple of weeks, but it probably still has enough juice to start up just fine.

Thanks

2. catmankev

catmankev New Member

State:
    Valmeyer, Illinois
    Personally, I would go with a 3 bank charger. I like to keep my starting battery fully charged. The higher the AMPS the better. Get the best one you can afford.

3. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    I have been thinking about getting one of those for my boat. how well do they work.

4. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    i wouldnt never be without the onboard charger again i have one on my bassboat charges up my trolling batteries and my starter battery work great any of the brands out there seem to be fine. mine is around 250 300 something like that.

5. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    I use one from bass pro it is a 5x5 on board charger hooked to all my batteries and when I get home I just plug it up. When I go again the batteries are ready. It also extends the life of the battery because in the winter if you don't maintain a good charge it can cause a battery to fail.
    I think I paid something like 59 bucks for it.
    Makes life a little easier .

6. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    i went out and looked to see what one i have its the pro se 4 bank does 4 banks of batteries at 10 amps each does 12 to 48 volts it has been trouble free for me

7. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    Mr T,
    You might as well get a three bank charger #1 it well keep your starting battery at full charge, #2 it will maintain a charge all winter long or when your boat sits idle for an extended period of time.

I got My 3 bank charger @ cabelas in the bargan cave. its a promariner prosport 20+ normal price $170 marked down to $100. Its done a great job!

being winter here in KC I havent seen a lot of onboard chargers in the bargan cave, but last summer when i bought mine they had quite a few. I'm sure I'll will be seeing them as soon as the weather warms.

8. muskyman

muskyman Active Member

State:
    Loudon TN
    Name:
    David
    How big is your starting engine ? Does the alternator have enough amps in it to keep your starting battery charged ? If not, get a 3 bank charger, 10 amps per bank, 30 amps TOTAL. I say this cause when and if you are in a low voltage area, the bigger charger is better. The 30 amp 3 bank charger will also charger your battery in under 8 hours with most brands. And it will not be cheap. But don't skimp on the charger dude. I like Guest brand chargers and I believe that bass pro carries them and they also carry the bass pro brand - XPS chargers, which I have heard are actually Guest chargers with the bass pro name on them. Good Luck dude.

9. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    I have a GUEST on my fishing boat. For two batteries, about $120 at Cabela's.
    Used for couple years.. so far works great. Leave it plugged in all the time.

Attached Files:

10. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    I would highly recommend an on board charger and have been using one for a long time.I would suggest that you consider one that has a distributed -on -demand feature.Most OB chargers send 10 amps to each battery regardless of its state of charge.(If its a 10amp capable charger of course).So if you have three banks 30 amp capacity each battery recieves 10 amps.On demand chargers send whatever amps are required.For instance if one of your batteries is very low and the other 90% the on demand feature would send 10% of the available amps to the one and the rest of the power to the very low battery.This provides faster charging and doesn't waste amps where they aren't neeeded.ProSports is one model that does this and the DUALPRO SE also has this feature.These can be found in the Cabelas Marine catalog and I would highly recommend you go to the West Marine website and read the section in their catalog on battery chargers which is very helpful.None of these chargers is Cheap but they pay for themselves in the long run.

11. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Cordova, TN
    Jim, thanks for that info. I purchase a Guest 2-bank 10-amp charger for my boat last summer, but if I would have known about the on-demand type I would have gotten that instead. Regardless, the one I have works fine, generally charging my batteries in about 6 hours.