On the River Yesterday (Saturday)

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by SmokinBarrel, Dec 6, 2009.

1. SmokinBarrel

SmokinBarrel New Member

State:
    St. Louis, MO
    Well, at 3:00 (last minute) I decided to get on the river yesterday to catch some more bait and freeze it. Also, I had hopes of sacifricing several baitfish to try my luck for some Blues.

I tried casting for some skipjack, but thought I wouldn't get any, and I didn't. So, I ran to a honey hole for shad, and did fairly well.

By the time I was done casting my net, the deck, rope and other things had started to freeze over. :eek:oooh:

And, my hands became frozen from the cold water. So, at dark I headed back, and skipped fishing for Blues until another time.

How do you think the frozen (vacuumed sealed) Shad will hold up when I decide to use over Christmas shut down - holiday break? (see pics below....) Also, I froze several Big Head Silver Carp? They were perfect size, about 7 - 10" long. How will these hold up? Also, I took the biggiest carp and did a simple filet (guts included). Just for something different. I was thinking about sprinkling some Garlic Powder on those filet before I vacuum sealed, but didn't.

Also I have attached pics before, and on my return trip to Columbia Bottoms Ramp. Brrrrrr! The windshield made all the difference. :big_smile:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 6, 2009
  2. wabah58

wabah58 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Thats some great looking bait, looks like you are set for winter time Blues.

3. Motopro00

Motopro00 New Member

State:
    Festus, Missouri
    bait looks good! I put some garlic power in one bag of drum fillet's i have with some kind of spray my buddy's dad gave me. I'll give you a report once i use it. I am tinkering around with the garlic power also. are the wing dikes showing up there yet? i am going tomorrow morning to try a spot down here on a dike.

4. SmokinBarrel

SmokinBarrel New Member

State:
    St. Louis, MO
    Yes, the dikes are showing, most of em.

5. Motopro00

Motopro00 New Member

State:
    Festus, Missouri
    dennis i think the bait will be good. I still have the shad from our last outing. i used a big head carp head and caught a nice blue on it. Did you seal them out on the water in the boat? Yeah I know that wind shield is paying off. If you need net man i'd love to go back out. :big_smile:

6. SmokinBarrel

SmokinBarrel New Member

State:
    St. Louis, MO
    Mike,

Keep several days open around Christmas. My work is closed over Christmas break for two weeks, so I plan to get out do some fishing. It will be cold, but also a great time of year to catch big blues. The way the water and water temps are coming along, I have a feeling end of December should be good.

7. AZBADBOYCATFISH

AZBADBOYCATFISH New Member

State:
    PHOENIX ARIZONA
    nice catch bro

8. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    Don't be surprised if the shad turns to goo and won't stay on the hook when you thaw it out.

I'd rather spend the time to catch fresh shad than use frozen. This time of year, I plan for at least 2 hours of throwing the net; if I find bait sooner than that, I consider it a bonus...

9. big cat matt

big cat matt Member

State:
    mo,OSAGE ARM TRUMAN
    Fresh shad is the only way to go!
    Fresh shad is time well spent it can make or break the trip.

Seen fresh shad out fish everything else too many times not too spend half the fishin trip catchin them!!!

10. BigCatter54

BigCatter54 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    I prefer fresh bait, if i were you I would try and get fresh bait at your honey hole first if no luck I personally wouldnt spend all day trying and get bait, when you have some that isnt that old anyways, carp isnt bad frozen, just remeber,they are eating dead shad from the die off that is happening, so frozen isnt bad this time of year.:wink: Personally if you can get some Skippy's that is what I would stick with.

11. joer

joer New Member

State:
    columbiaMo
    Dennis what part of the river do you find shad this time of year? Behind wing dikes?

Thanks!

12. SmokinBarrel

SmokinBarrel New Member

State:
    St. Louis, MO
    Joer,
    I catch my Shad up at the Lock & Dam in Alton.

But, I think behind wing dikes would be good also. I have seen many guys netting for them in this location before. Although, I don't usually try behind wing dikes.

13. joer

joer New Member

State:
    columbiaMo
    Thank you and be safe out there!:big_smile:

14. Motopro00

Motopro00 New Member

State:
    Festus, Missouri
    dennis i caught me a sturgeon today. on frozen shad. i got a couple bites but did not catch a catfish. fished from 7:30am until 4:20pm. I had taken a couple pictures but for some reason there no where to be found on my phone :confused2:

15. SmokinBarrel

SmokinBarrel New Member

State:
    St. Louis, MO
    How big was he/she?

16. Motopro00

Motopro00 New Member

State:
    Festus, Missouri
    well i didn't know how how to get the grippers in it's mouth so i could weight it so I am just guessing. around 5 to 7 pounds. I need to get a tape messure. About 20" to 24". I took two pictures and there gone. :angry: I am so glad just to have landed a fish. :big_smile:

17. Bigbluefisherman

Bigbluefisherman New Member

State:
    Missouri

I would rather have fresh shad, but I have caught several blues on frozen shad! They work fine if you only thaw them once.

18. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Brine em and freeze em. But this time of year I would perfer cut carp buff or bighead. Now if ya had mooneye :wink:.

19. Dredge

Dredge Member

State:
    Arnold,Missouri
    If you need fresh bait,just motor around the backside of a dike.My last three trips,all I do is run around a couple of dikes,wait for the Asians to hop in my boat,club em and cut em.Voila,more bait than I can use in ten trips!:wink:

20. SmokinBarrel

SmokinBarrel New Member

State:
    St. Louis, MO
    Troy,
    I agree, years ago, I always used mooneye versus anything else. And in my opinion, it is great! But they're only plentiful in the spring and summer, right? In fact, at the time, I didn't even know what skipjack was. So I used mooneye all the time because I could net them behind barges. I wonder how they freeze?