On The James River 12/21/07

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by justlearning, Dec 23, 2007.

1. justlearning

justlearning New Member

State:
    VA
    It was 38 degrees when we put in around 6:30 on the 21st and stayed right around that all day, water temp 48. Put in at Deep Bottom and put out the gill net at Trespass Pit.....around 30 12-14" cutters. We were planning to fish around Jordan Point but the wind was up somewhat after 10 so we stayed In the Dutch Gap area. Our first hole after about 15 minutes let us dance with a 44 lb one eyed blue cat. And we thought the day would be good but that was it, except for one that ran all way around the boat and another one that popped the line like it was nothing with only 8-10 lbs of drag. The 22nd was also slow started the day with a 33, 17, 12 but nothing for rest of the day.

Oh...BTW...I found it much easier to get the shad out the gill net this time around......
    Click here...Pics to the blues

Jerry

2. blacksheep

blacksheep New Member

State:
    NC
    Thanks for the report Jerry. A group of NC boys are planning on coming up some time in Jan. I will let you know when and would like you to fish with me if you are free. I plan on taking the whole week off when I come. This group will probable fish out of Jordan Point and go down river. They usually catch big fish. My boat is ready to go and so am I....

3. cobysdad06

cobysdad06 New Member

State:
    Sutherlin VA.
    ya,ll boys fishing in shallow or deep water. Just trying to pick up some tips for my first trip.

4. blacksheep

blacksheep New Member

State:
    NC
    Around Jordan Point and down river, they fish the channel dropoffs. So if you spread your rods out, you may have one rod in shallow water some on the dropoff and some in the shipping channel. Which could be 25-90 ft. deep depending where you are on the river.

5. cobysdad06

cobysdad06 New Member

State:
    Sutherlin VA.
    Thanks, I'm not used to fishing water that deep down here at Buggs. Coming up next wknd for a couple days for the first time. Hoping to catch some nice fish and learn my way around for the next trip.

6. billcatfish

billcatfish New Member

State:
    evansville Ind
    sounds like you all had some fun love to get over an catch some blues out of that james river one of these day

7. justlearning

justlearning New Member

State:
    VA
    If you are going to the James for the first time it never hurts to hire a guide to get somewhat a feel for the river. I had studied the maps & charts quit a bit and still was surprised to to be somewhat disorientated my first trip. Here's a link using Capt Hugh in November 07:

http://www.jerrywebbonline.com/james/james2/james2.html

The thing with the James you can get in shallow water real quick...infact I noticed Capt Hugh carries a 1.5 dia x 20' long push pole on his boat just in case he gets hung up and he has been fishing the James 38 Years. I went to Lowes and bought a closet dowel that is 1.5 dia and 12 foot long I now carry on my boat.

I posted the following under maps.....but I don't guess it will hurt to to post the info here also:

These are the best maps I've found. I actually printed them out and carry them in a 3 ring binder when I go fishing. I also use top loading sheet protectors rather than punching holes, plus it keeps the pages dry. A little hard to read. Much better than the store bought GMCO maps.

http://ocsdata.ncd.noaa.gov/BookletChart/12252_BookletChart.pdf

http://ocsdata.ncd.noaa.gov/BookletChart/12251_BookletChart.pdf

Also if you have software such as SnagIt and Adobe Photo Elements you
    can zoom in on the map with Adobe and the capture the area save it to a
    graphic file and then make notes on it with photo elements. I posted the
    above links on another board and a guy come back with he had a gps, that
    had a hard drive and could see the whole world. Well I have a map of the
    James for my gps but I think a hard copy map with your own personal notes
    or enlarged to see eaiser has it's place also. The link below is example of the barge pit:

http://www.jerrywebbonline.com/james...barge_pit2.jpg

I do have a GMCO map also that's laminated you can but any of their maps online:
    http://www.gmcomapsandcharts.com/va.htm

Jerry

8. justlearning

justlearning New Member

State:
    VA
  9. cobysdad06

cobysdad06 New Member

State:
    Sutherlin VA.
    Thanks for the advice JL. I have a jet drive on my 1756 G3 now,been up in the creeks at the river catching crappie, but I was going to put the prop back on to fish the James. Would it be wiser to leave the jet on in case I run shallow.

10. justlearning

justlearning New Member

State:
    VA
    I would say most guys run a prop at the James.....and most of the shallow is mud....but you could hit a stump.....I would advise you to carry a spare prop and the tools needed. If you study the charts that I posted a link to it will keep you on the right track. You are pretty safe if you stay in the main channel and also keep in mind the tide....lol I was told of a guy that anchored in the shallows on high tide and went to sleep to wake up to be in only mud...had to wait for the tide to come back in.

Here's a link for tidal info:

http://www.mobilegeographics.com:81/query?location=james+river

Just click the area you are fishing after clicking on the above link.

11. justlearning

justlearning New Member

State:
    VA
    The One other thing you have to watch out for is the wrecks and sucken barges. But that info is also on the charts.

Jerry

12. cobysdad06

cobysdad06 New Member

State:
    Sutherlin VA.
    I'll swap the jet out with the prop so I can save on the gas. Thanks for the maps. They will sure help. I think we will start around Hopewell. Any advice which way to go first. (Bait,Good fishing holes).

13. justlearning

justlearning New Member

State:
    VA
    Alan let me know a date as soon as possible....January is a little busy...but hopefully things will work out.

Jerry

14. justlearning

justlearning New Member

State:
    VA
    Adam....I noticed you said in another post you have a 1756 G3. With that size boat and being your first trip to the James......I would suggest that you put in at Deep Bottom.
    1. Because if there is much wind at Hopewell- Jordan Point you may run into problems with a 1756 G3 although I heard you are somewhat protected from the wind up the Appomattox River, if its windy you'll want to stay away from downriver .. it gets REAL nasty down there .. so if it blows you'll want to launch from deep bottom or osbourne .. osbourne is nicer but deep bottom has closer access to the bigger water.....especially the size of your boat..that 56 is just a little narrow.
      You would not be on big water in Deep Bottom area
    2. Putting in at Deep Bottom bait should be fairly easy at the mouth of Trespass Pit even sometimes at the landing...although you may end up with candy shad if you only have the cast net. My thinking 4-8" = Candy Shad & 10-14" Shad = cutters
    3. Putting in at Deep Bottom will give you a feel for the river before hitting the bigger water.
    4. Again remember to keep check on the tide...Curles is close to Deep Bottom
    5. I would say study the board and the charts....go alway back to the beginning looking for tips in Virginia Rivers section.
    6. I still recommend a guide the first time....asking many questions
    7. Here's a good article for tips: http://www.stormpages.com/katchaser/bluetips.html

15. blacksheep

blacksheep New Member

State:
    NC
    I will talk with one of the guys hopefully tomorrow. To see what plans they have or when they hope to go... I went to see him today but he was not at work...