On The James River 1-25 & 26-08

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by justlearning, Jan 27, 2008.

1. justlearning

justlearning New Member

State:
    VA
    Ok guys we had a good trip a little slower than we (blacksheep-Alan)and myself thought it would be.... On the water by 7-7:15 AM the 25th from Deep Bottom.....put out the gill net one time at Trespass ....let it soak for 20 minutes and no bait. So we head up to Dutch Gap and fished with frozen bait from my last trip until we had bait......bait was defiantly hard to find.... but end up with around 12 cutters.....none for the freezer for the next trip.
    We set up to fish while the gill net is soaking and 2 lines go down with in 5- 10 minutes at once...Alan brings in one and I get the other.....needless to say we weren't ready for this... couldn't get the landing net out with one hand as it got tangled in one of the reels laying beside it.....so I gave up on the net and got the blue close to the boat and got my hand in it's mouth and jerked him in the boat....that felt so good I told Alan bring yours in close and I got my hand in the blue's mouth and yanked him in the boat also....One was a 14 and the other a 20...not a bad start.....so now we catch our breath and let the adrenaline rush settle down and decide it's time to check the gill net we have several cutters in the net and put it out to soak again....We talk about it going back to the same hole and decide we will give it another shot.....dang ...got the lines out and again with in minutes a big girl is on. Now this rascal runs and gets tangled up in a tree under water.....Alan keeps a cool head...now if that had been me I would have fought the fish and probably broke the line....not Alan ....he put the rod back in the holder and hits the bait clicker....in about 5 minutes she starts running again...Alan starts the battle with her and back into the tree again.....I think dang this fish will never get to the boat....Alan puts the rod in the holder again and once again sets the bait clicker.....I would say in about 10 minutes the big girl takes off again peeling line the old bait clicker just a singing.....Alan picks up the rod very causally likes it's no big deal and the battle begins.....he finally gets the fish near the boat and she goes ballistic and starts peeling drag ...she comes to the surface and we now know he's got a good fish.....but she then takes another dive....
    Alan gets her near the boat again and still a plenty of fight left in the fish...she starts to dive again.... and I think man I've had enough of this...so I try to net her as she is diving and the 10 oz weight gets tangled in the landing net....Ole Alan is still fighting the blue.... and gets her back on top for the last time....and I finally get the net under her and in the boat. Man what a fish here's a link to the pic Alan posted:
    http://www.catfish1.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=35250&d=1201404702
    Boy did she have a big belly..almost as big as mine.....lol.....well I will wait for Alan to tell the weight of this one...
    Well ....OK if you all insist.....I'll tell....she was .........................
    61 lbs....Alan had his dance with her and let her go back home ....to dance another day!!
    We caught several fish the 26th below Jordan Point but only one over 20 and that was 41 lbs.
    http://www.catfish1.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=35275&stc=1&d=1201455867

Attached Files:

2. Reel_Blues

Reel_Blues New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Nice man sounds like you had a good day.

3. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy Active Member

State:
    Virginia
    I thought yesterday would be wide open. Light wind, falling barometer, good bait. Geez, we had to work for the few we got. Still, where else in the world can a regular guy ,not a pro catch bigguns often enough to want to keep on going. I love the James. And to think, in less than two months we will have whopper Ocean Stripers, Hickory Shad, (Yum Breakfast Roe), and American Shad so thick in the river you can almost walk across their backs. :big_smile:

4. justlearning

justlearning New Member

State:
    VA
    Kenneth...what's the best way to fish for the stripers???

Thanks Jerry

5. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy Active Member

State:
    Virginia
    I catch more stripers downtown at the 95 bridge. Evening bite or early morning. In the skinny water the stripers don't appear to bite as well with a lot of sun. I fish with a three way swivel so my baitis one to two foot off the bottom. I like to put beads and a spinner in front of the small circle hook 1/0. I also put a rubber skirt like spinner baits use in front of the hook behind the beads and spinner. The bait is a strip of fresh cut shad about the same size as my middle finger. (This is not a joke). I cast a few of those behind the boat while fly fishing for shad. Some days I can't fly fish as the cats and stripes won't leave the cut bait rods alone. To catch them downstream while fishing the big cats, I cast a rod or two with the set up above over on the flats near the bank in less than 6 feet of water. Seems stripers prefer skinny water. A time of two I have caught them under seagulls with small jigs Chesapeake Bay Style down by Shirley on the flats.

Lastly. Put a one OZ egg sinker infront of a swivel and leader with the above beaded spinner skirt cutbait set up behind the boat. The current will keep the bait suspended and stripes will pounce on it if around and hungry. Try different stuff. Basically, a Striper is a greedy pig and easy as dirt to catch.

6. caveman

caveman New Member

State:
    va
    nice fish jerry and alan!

boy that fish didn't miss any meals...

vaughn

7. justlearning

justlearning New Member

State:
    VA
    Thanks for the info Kenneth.....never tried the stripers but may do so this year!!

Jerry

8. justlearning

justlearning New Member

State:
    VA
    Thanks Vaughn...I'm telling you...lol...kinda like me....did that gill net come in??

Jerry

9. caveman

caveman New Member

State:
    va
    yep net is in, i messed around with it on the chick, caught one cutter and one cat in it.

it will definately work better than the cast net!!

vaughn

10. cdf1961

cdf1961 New Member

State:
    va
    If I'm right, I watched this whole thing happen-pretty cool!

11. justlearning

justlearning New Member

State:
    VA
    Hey man were you in the bass boat just past us??

Jerry

12. blacksheep

blacksheep New Member

State:
    NC
    :0a18:I want to thank Jerry for going with me and sharing his knowledge of the upper river and I hope he learned a little from me about JP and down river. We had a good and safe trip. Got some great pictures and let those fish go to fight another day....
    Thanks again

13. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Thanks for the report and pictures:cool2:. Congratulations on the HAWG!! One of these days i'll get a chance to fish the James:cross:.

14. cataholic999

cataholic999 New Member

State:
    virginia
    Glad yall had a good trip Jerry. Fishn has been slow this week. Not many people have been catching numbers of big fish the end of the week. We fished a tourny out of JP yesterday and weighed 100lbs(60 and a 40). 122lbs won the tourny. We caught 8 fish between 20 and 38. Alot of the guys didnt weigh anything. It was a tough day for most! Was that yall fishing below the bridge around 8:30?

15. blacksheep

blacksheep New Member

State:
    NC
    That was probable us.... We were about 1 mile below the bridge trying out a hole I wanted to fish. But no bites there....:sad_2a:

16. justlearning

justlearning New Member

State:
    VA
    Steve.....man wished I had seen you at Jordan Point or on the water.....Alan told me Chris was there also.... would have been nice to meet him. I didn't get a chance to look around...we got there a little late and then I went straight back to the ramp to pay the fee....we got to get together before long. BTW Alan had some of your 12 oz weights...he had bought them off Chris...I forgot what do you get for those 12 oz sinkers???

Stanley is anxious to get down with his boys this spring and fish with you. Hope all is going well....good to hear from you.....and sounds like you had a pretty good day of fishing on a slow one.

Jerry

17. river cat rat

river cat rat New Member

State:
    virginia
    sounds like ya'll had one heck of a day been trying for 6 weeks to have a day like that keep it up.

18. river cat rat

river cat rat New Member

State:
    virginia
    thanks for the report i don't fell so bad now:cool2:

19. river cat rat

river cat rat New Member

State:
    virginia
    what style of weight are you using justlearning?

20. river cat rat

river cat rat New Member

State:
    virginia
    kenneth i like how you think i hope we can walk across there backs:big_smile: