On the bank without a boat - Help me find a good spot in North Carolina to fish

Discussion in 'LOCAL NORTH CAROLINA TALK' started by Celtic_Knots, Apr 24, 2006.

1. Celtic_Knots

Celtic_Knots New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Hello to all!

New to the North Carolina threads, but not the BOC. We, my husband and I, just moved back here after being three years around the Potomac/Dogue Creek VA area. The fishing was great, nothing big, mind you. Channel cats & bull heads mainly, with a few eels, white perch, striped bass and oysters by accident.

Since we have been back in the Fayetteville area, we haven't had much luck. Shore fishing is all we do, so no boat fishing. We attempted Lake Rim without a bite. :cry: Not sure if it is good for shore fishing, or if you have to be away from the entry point we casted out at. We still haven't fished the Cape Fear yet, a little scared at what may get pulled out.

I am hoping we can find a decent place near us, like we had in VA for some family fishing. If anyone knows of a good place, around Rim Rd area, let me know. We are trying the 'trial by error' method as of late, but finding myself getting very much bummed out.

Thanks! :big_smile:

2. kspor

kspor New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    I am not able to help you on a location, but the board will jump in soon I bet. This is a great place and with so many members you will get your answer soon. Seems the bite is irradic this year. May just be a matter of timing.

Good luck

3. Celtic_Knots

Celtic_Knots New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Thanks, I hope so.

Yeah, the timing must be what it is. I hope it's the timing and not me!

:)

4. Cattledogz

Cattledogz New Member

State:
    NC
    Hey Jan,
    I can't help you with places to fish over there since I am well west of you, but thought I would say hello.
    You will get some good responses as you well know if you are not new to the BOC.
    Happy fishing!

5. Celtic_Knots

Celtic_Knots New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Thanks! In the next month or so, we will be heading to Winston-Salem to a family friends home, and he has a boat, we will for sure get some fishing in while there!

Yeah, my husband has mentioned a few places, on the Military post, but we need a second fishing license to fish there, but from what he heard, could be some good stuff to see. I will be sure to mention it when we find out.

Thank you again!:)

6. Cattledogz

Cattledogz New Member

State:
    NC
    Jan, Where y'all going to fish when you come to Winston? We usually go to High Rock but I have fished Belews Creek a ton too.

7. Celtic_Knots

Celtic_Knots New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    You know, I would have to ask for the name. I know the last time we were there, we went on his Pontoon and also got a chance to canoe. We didn't fish then-my daughter who is now 10 was only 6 months then! So, that was some time ago. Will let you know when I find out! (We haven't been out there since my daughter was 3! Boy, time does fly!):eek: ::giggle::

8. trfoster

trfoster New Member

State:
    north carolina
    hi jan and welcome,ive only been here a couple months but this is the place to be,I learn something new everyday here.Im like barb i fish the high rock area \ salisbury.Winstons not that far from here come try your luck,never know.I went down to the river yesturday & hooked a 6lb1oz blue channel off of a 6 inch shad & today i hooked a 10lb4oz flathead off of a 4inch shad.im going to post the pics soon as i can getem down loaded from the camra & then figure out how to post them,these will be my first ones to post so im still figureing things out.:)

9. Celtic_Knots

Celtic_Knots New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I know what you mean. Since the format has changed, and having to reregister, I am still trying to understand how to do some stuff on here. I can't reply to any of the private messages I have until I have ten posts. Or view pictures and such...*sigh* I think it won't be too long until I can do that.

Thanks, and when we are in Winston-Salem, we will be sure to fish as much as we can!! I hope I have more luck than what I'm having currently.

MUST FISH MORE! ::giggle:: It is bad when I wake up and continue reeling in. HA!:p

10. burntaffliction

burntaffliction New Member

State:
    Fayetteville, NC
    Hey Celtic_Knots, Fort Bragg has several "catfish lakes" (channel cats only, it seems) you might want to try out, but you'll need access to the military post and a daily ($5) or annual ($25) Fort Bragg fish permit. Here's information on the lakes according to the Fort Bragg Wildlife web site:

CATFISH LAKES (Closed daily 0600-1100).
    These lakes are stocked annually with channel catfish. Other species like bass, bluegill, crappie and warmouth are present. NO BOATS, CANOES, OR FLOTATION DEVICES ARE ALLOWED IN CATFISH LAKES. ONLY BANK FISHING IS AUTHORIZED.

Lower McKellars Lake (16 acres)
    This lake is located off McKellars Road, behind McKellars Rod & Gun Club. Daily limit for channel catfish is 3. Minimum size limit is 14 inches.

Wyatt Lake (8 acres)
    This lake is located off Lamont Road, ½ mile south of the Lamont and Manchester Road intersection. Daily limit for channel catfish is 3. Minimum size limit is 14 inches.

Andrews Church Lake (6 acres)
    This lake is located off Andrews Church Road, ½ mile south of the Hwy 210/87 intersection. Lake is approximately 1 mile east of Hwy 87. Daily limit of channel catfish is 5. No size limit.

Moss Gill Lake (7 acres)
    This lake is located on Camp Mackall; see map for directions. Daily limit for channel catfish is 3. Minimum size limit is 14 inches.
    ------------------------------------------------------
    INTENSIVELY MANAGED LAKES
    These lakes are managed for bass, bluegill, redear sunfish, and channel catfish. Some lakes also contain crappie, warmouth and pumpkinseed. MINNOWS CANNOT BE USED FOR BAIT IN ANY INTENSIVELY MANAGED LAKES.

Simmons Lake (13 acres)
    This lake is located off Honeycutt Road east of the Honeycutt and Hwy 210 intersection. Shoreline and boating access are good. Daily limit for largemouth bass is 5; all largemouth bass less than 16 inches long must be released immediately.

Holland Lake (11 acres)
    This lake is located off Manchester Road, ½ mile west of the Longstreet and Manchester Road intersection. Shoreline and boating access is fair.

McFayden Pond (8 acres)
    This pond is located on Butner Road at Wilson Park. It is open to youth only (under 16) accompanied by an adult sponsor with appropriate fishing permits. Adults may not fish. Shoreline fishing only; access is good. Open during daylight hours only.

Hurley Lake (8 acres)
    This lake is located off Marks Road in NTA 3. Shoreline and boating access are fair. Daily limit for largemouth bass is 5; all largemouth bass less than 16 inches long must be released immediately.

All lakes are off limits to swimming, water skiing, and jet skis. No boat motor size restriction on Big Muddy, McArthur and Mott Lakes. All other lakes have a maximum 25 horsepower restriction.

Hope this helps.;)

Attached Files:

11. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Shearon Harris Lake is about 50 min north of you and has some very good shore fishing spots and lots of catfish.The base lakes are very good and worth the price of the extra license.There are some nice spots on the Cape Fear River at Erwin and Lillington and Hope Mills lake used to be pretty good.:)

12. Celtic_Knots

Celtic_Knots New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Thank you Jim for the input.

Will be sure to let hubby know too, so burntaffliction needs to take note! :p It's about time you started posting! ;) When are we getting our post fishing licenses? I got my new rod, LETS GO! :p

13. burntaffliction

State:
    Fayetteville, NC
    Okay, okay Celtic_Knots...we can go down and get our post fish permits - just don't tell your hubby ;) :D Wait, I AM your hubby! lol Yes, let's get fishing - I'd like to check out Shearon Harris, too. Love ya.

14. Celtic_Knots

Celtic_Knots New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    :beauty: Awww...thanks honey. (You're just saying that because you need me to pay for it! LOL With your money of course! ;) ) Good plan!

15. 01 Mudslinger

01 Mudslinger New Member

State:
    Gretna, Va
    im stationed here at Bragg, Knotts and Burnt, i wouldnt waste the money for the post license, its $25 and it really isnt worth it, all the ponds and lakes are usually overrun with people and fishing can be a pain, i've tried it a couple times and got aggravated cuz all you hear is Rap music blaring and crap, not my kind of relaxing, but if you have a 4x4, you get a map when you get a $5 day pass or the year pass and you can find a couple ponds deep off in the woods you just have to drive to em, some 2wd would be ok, but alot the sand is real deep and you would have trouble without a 4x4. not sure what the catfish ponds are like at nite, mite not be as bad to fish at nite, i usually ride out to Andrews Church Lake sometimes but havent went at nite, that one is in Springlake on 210 just before you get to Bragg Blvd. I just bought a boat and been goin to Jordon Lake which is about 45min. north and Shaeron Harris is the same amount of time just on the other side of Hwy 1, Riverside Boat ramp in down town fayetteville has some places to bank fish also.

16. Celtic_Knots

Celtic_Knots New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    *giggle* Do you think they think the rap music booming is putting the catfish in a trance, or a feeding frenzy? :p

No, big negative to the, 4x4. We have two total and complete economy cars! LOL...Huyndai accent and a Xion XB. So, no off-roading for us. No boat, and well....so far....:sniff, sniff: NO FISH! Could you imagine my xion off-roading? LOL...A box stuck in a hole? Try to get that one out...:p

We have been to Jordan lake with a Bass fisherman. Still need to ask him about saying he is a Bass fisherman and NEVER in his 53 years EVER caught one! ::Just to poke fun at him:: He had his bass boat, but he was playing with the 'fish finder'.

17. burntaffliction

State:
    Fayetteville, NC
    Thanks for the insight into the ponds and lakes on Bragg, Mudslinger. Celtic_Knots and I will be sure to do a little recon of several of the lakes (at different times of the day) to get a feel for the overall vibe of the spots before deciding if it's worth the money for the annual post permit. Loud music and crowds of people make me cringe just thinking about it - obviously not something I'd want to endure, either. Any experience with McKellars Lake (in regard to the fishing, crowds, and loud music)?

18. 01 Mudslinger

01 Mudslinger New Member

State:
    Gretna, Va
    basically any lake easily accessible will be crowded i can promise ya that, havent been out there much, only a couple times to get a day pass and yea it looked pretty crowded.