On the AZ G&F fishing report

Discussion in 'LOCAL ARIZONA TALK' started by AZflats, Jul 14, 2009.

1. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    I was reading through the fishing report from last week and came across this note: Notes in bold are especialy interesting...

Colorado River (between Laguna and Morelos dams):

This area will be good for largemouth bass and flathead catfish. Bass in excess of 5 pounds are common and flathead catfish over 20 pounds are a good bet. In this area, accessibility to the river is dependent on the amount of water being released. Usually shallow draft boats are a must. The lower end has had some dredging work done and a larger boat may be able to get on the river in that area.

This section of the Colorado River, all the way down to Yuma, is where the invasive vegetative species known as Giant Salvinia is located. Quagga mussels are also found here. If using a boat, make sure that boats, live wells, engines, and trailers are clean before leaving the area. The last thing that we want to have happen is the movement of invasive species to other waters.

With the increase in border issues and illegal activity on the lower end of this area I would avoid that area (Pilot Knob to Moreles Dam).

Regional Hot Spots:

Alamo Lake will be the hot spot for largemouth bass and channel catfish. Since there appears to be an overabundance of small bass and channel catfish in the lake at present, we recommend keeping as many of the smaller bass and catfish as you can legally possess in order to try and reduce the population a little. Next choice would be Lake Havasu for large and smallmouth bass and redears, Parker Strip for smallmouth bass and redear sunfish, and the Colorado River below Walter’s Camp for flathead catfish. Our spring surveys indicate that there is a very impressive population of flathead catfish in the lower Imperial Division between Picacho State Park and Imperial Dam. Expect many in the 5-10 pounds size class, but we know of at least one state record lurking in those waters.

2. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    Aparently they shocked one close to 80#s...

3. Overkil

Overkil New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Andy,

Thanks for posting...I read that a few weeks ago in their weekly email they send out. close to 80lbs, huh? man, that would make my day!

4. cat-tracker

cat-tracker New Member

State:
    arizona
    Let's hook'em!!!:big_smile:
    Thanks for the info Andy

5. AZBADBOYCATFISH

AZBADBOYCATFISH New Member

State:
    PHOENIX ARIZONA
    GwillE has his pic on the fishing report this week with a pretty bass, thanks for the info AZflats.

6. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    i believe that 80 pounder that was shocked was above imperial dam about 4-5 miles. least that is what i was told by ranger.
    gary

7. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    i'm wondering and have been for a while now. last year, had fish that was breaking 60lb lines off. did this several times and i've posted about this. where fish was shocked, was about less than 1/2 mile from where i was fishing. but i've not been able to get bite in that area since.
    gary

8. brianthelion02

brianthelion02 New Member

State:
    arizona
    I foresee a yuma trip!:cool2:

9. Rcaarizona

Rcaarizona New Member

State:
    AZ
    You aint catch that catfish , and you aint never gonna did......

10. brianthelion02

State:
    arizona
    Depends on if i can catch some LOCAL bluegills!!:eek:oooh:

11. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    heck, i can show you where to catch some gills. but you gotta promise not to squeese too hard on them. don't want them to loose pee or poop.
    :tounge_out:
    gary

12. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    doubt if he went belly up. maybe left area though. found another spot that had one that friend and i did see before breaking off that looked like a log. only maybe 3 miles down river.
    gary

13. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    gee, glad to hear you fish with 10lb line. i've not said that in years. lightest i have is 40 and have have for for a few yrs.
    you want to to start the crap? lets go. you just stated you use grapple hook. hmmm? why? don't want to CPR? WOW. complete 180 of what you are preaching.
    made my post to Rob in fun skunko, you wanted to take farther. let's go.
    you'll loose.
    gary

14. brianthelion02

State:
    arizona
    Dang,now ive been stereotyped cause i have been known to fish with Rob!!:smile2::smile2::smile2:

15. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    yep, you're guilty. LOL
    but, if you don't squeeze the gills too hard, then maybe then no one will put you with Rob. :wink:
    gary

16. brianthelion02

State:
    arizona
    Armed with this info,i believe ill decline his bluegill papsmear class!!:wink: And furthermore,its 15 till 9,it got down to 100 degrees,im goin fishin!!:smile2::smile2:

Last edited: Jul 14, 2009
  17. Rcaarizona

Rcaarizona New Member

State:
    AZ
    Im petitioning the AZGFD to let me develop a "Bluegill/sunfish/carp origination DNA database" that comes with field testers. Lets see if you illegal bait fish transporter, disease lovers like that?!?! I would also like to open my own baitfish clinic, we will make sure every bluegill gets a papsmir, entered into the DNA database, catscan, sonogram, echogram, heartagram, monogram, and gram cracker, before it is released as a baitfish.
    No more forced bluegill peeing, you must hold bluegill by head to hook. Forced urination of bluegill obviously causes bluegill urethra problems, that can lead sometimes to bluegill yeast infections.
    As far as the bluegills that got off the hook that were illegally transported. All fish must be sterilized, ran through my clinic, Checked for Fin Fungi, AIDS, Clamidia, gonorrhea, syphilis, herpes, Tumors, congenital heart disease, colon cancer, diabetes type 1 & 2, corneal abrasion, Alzheimers, Plantar faciistis, rectal prolapse, Hemmoroids, and returned back to their native waters, OTHERWISE I will get the ACLU, Rev Jesse Jackson, Al Sharptongue involved. I am just sick of you all violating bluegills rights, and neglecting their due process.

18. jagdoctor1

jagdoctor1 New Member

State:
    CA/AZ
    I am not privy to the inside track of all this silliness but thought I'd throw in here that I recieved a nice stern warning from 2 lady game and fish wardens about transporting live fish over in ehrenberg.

I know a warden... or 2 maybe that don't catch their fish on site. I'm a believer in the same body of water part but not of the no transporting part.

19. lilmonster23

lilmonster23 New Member

State:
    arizona
    ive been wondering if u can catch bait at horseshoe and take it to bartlett. its the same water

20. suey

suey New Member

State:
    arizona
    impressive word from az g and f.... wasnt it in 2005 though, that game and fish netted a 85 lber in roosey and a few weeks later an 80 lber in san carlos......

i believe a guy on azbasszone who works for san carlos gamd and fish said they shocked up a few 70's from carlos this year... but not a lot of numbers of flatheads