On Shore Starting !

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by T-Bone, Nov 23, 2005.

1. T-Bone

T-Bone New Member

State:
    South of Dallas
    Hello Bobpaul, Thanks for all the advice given. Now I need more. A few times here lately I have seen a guy start his outboard at the ramp out of the water. Now he doesn't run it long, just long enough to see if it is gonna start. I read on this site somewhere where one of our brothers has said the motor does not know if it's in the water or not when starting and shuting off right away (or something like that). Is this something that is ok to do with a 15 hp Evinrude ? I know I should make sure the motor runs before leaving the house, But once at the lake, is it ok to start the motor and then shut it down just to make sure it is good to go ? I've never seen anyone do this before except this one guy. Thanks again for the advice.

2. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Maybe your watching a marine mechanic that doesn't mind changing the water pump impellor.

NEVER START YOUR ENGINE OUT OF THE WATER OR WITHOUT A HOSE ATTACHED!!!

If it'll start at home, it'll start when you get it to the water.

Let me throw in this example. If you've ever slid down a rope and burned your hands from the heat generated by the friction, just imagine the heat generated inside a stainless steel cup and a rubber impellor's 5 or 6 blades pressed up against it, twirling like a bat outta hell. It can't fully do the job you rely on for very long.

3. T-Bone

T-Bone New Member

State:
    South of Dallas
    Thank you Sir, I knew you would set me stright.

4. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    BobPAul I get to see people doing that about every time I go. If you say something about the water pump. They will laugh about it. The other day. One of them put his boat in and was cussing as the water pump has quit.
    I asked him how old the impeller was. Only 2 weeks old. LOL
    I put the water hose and cups on mine if i even try to turn it over.
    PEte

5. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Yeah Pete, they laugh out of ignorance for sure.

Besides that, it's thier boat. Who are you to suggest they know not what they do? :p. You've got alot of nerve, you butinski.

That's when I laugh.

6. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    yea see it a lot sad to watch someone do stupid things. yesterday i watched a guy pulling his new ranger out of the water drove it on the trailer latched it down on the bow his wife pulled out engine running he ran it till empty. i just sat there and shook my head. i did mention to him at the top of the ramp while tying down he should do that and why i got told in not so nice of terms to blak off i am stupid i dont know what the ^&@^#%#@^$ i was talking about i said ok have fun enjoy paying big bills wnad went back to my tying down lol.pt barnum was so right in his saying a fool and his money are soon parted.