On outboard size

Discussion in 'Boat Repair Help' started by txthumper1691, Sep 9, 2008.

1. txthumper1691

txthumper1691 New Member

State:
    Temple, Tx.
    I have an old 1974 cajun bass boat, its 18' X 6', and I cant find anywhere on th boat that tells me what size outboard th boat is rated for, AND I HAVE LOOKED. I just spent this past weekeekend tearing out th spongy floor, repairing 4 (count them FOUR) cracks in th hull and re-inforcing th transom. I wil add pics later, I took several brfore, during and after shots of th project. this was 3 years in th making. I didnt realize how cheap I was able to to this. got all th stuff at wal-mart. fiberglass repair kit, extra resin and hardener for th floor and transom. this rig will not sink now and will hold up to a 250 engine now, if it doesnt flip it 1st, lol. back to my original question tho, if I cant find it on th boat, where do I go to find out what size outboard its rated for? thanks in advance for any help.

2. JAYNC

JAYNC Active Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    IMHO I think the most you would want to put on a boat that old is a 90. My friend has a 90 on his 18' bass boat and it will still do 50mph. I tried looking myself for a while on google and all I could find are cajun boats for sale. Good luck!!

3. txthumper1691

txthumper1691 New Member

State:
    Temple, Tx.
    I almost put an 85 hs on it, but was told by an old timer it would easily take a 100 hs. but w/o th proper specs, i kinda scared to go to big. ya know

4. slimdaddy

slimdaddy Well-Known Member

State:
    Nelsonville, Oh
    Name:
    Keith
    theres not that much difference in 85 and a 100 my boat is rated for 85 but had to put a new powerhead on it and it is a 115 and i dont ssee any difference in the two

5. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
  6. jrack1

jrack1 New Member

State:
    mo.
  7. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Buddy of mine had one of those. If I am remembering right. It was 115. His had the old Tall inline Mercury 90 on it. And would scream. He was clocked at 57 MPH with it.
    Pete

8. gdlocal10

gdlocal10 New Member

State:
    kansas
    I went to the web brouser and typed in 1974 cajun bass boat what size engine and all kinds of forums popped up, I dint read them but you might try that

9. jrack1

jrack1 New Member

State:
    mo.
    any boat build after 1972 should have a (12 caracter HIN # ) I've looked high and low . based on what I've found that type ,age and material (fiberglass) came with specs for a max 650 lbs 115 hp. do you have any more info on the boat????????????

10. swampratt

swampratt Member

State:
    oklahoma
    I installed a 125hp in place of the 90hp on my deckett and it went 6mph slower same prop the added weight killed the already heavy boat. and the mileage went way down.. it would run 38 with the top up and the 90hp and it had 1 week cylinder 35lbs of cranking pressure and the rest were 165 lbs..the 125hp were all 160 to 167
    The little 50hp bayliner i have runs just as fast and uses 1/2 the fuel. I can play for 6 hours on the lake with 6 gallons of fuel...
    Your call