On or Off the bottom?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Pacman, Nov 6, 2007.

1. Pacman

Pacman New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I read a book recently that stated that a scientific study showed that catfish normally bite by pinning the bait to the bottom and then swallowing it rather than just sucking it into his mouth like a largemouth. Seems to me the bait would be more noticeable a foot or two above the mucky bottom, but is this hindering the normal bite pattern? Is visual presentation even important? or does the catfish mainly locate the bait by smell and taste?

I have been experimenting with a sliding weight with a small float on the bait side. Doesn't work very well because it often tangles on the cast.

If you have caught more catfish than colds, let me hear your opinion?
    :confused2:

2. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    A float pinned to the leader about 3 or 4 inches from the hook has worked wonders for hook ups on channels. They try to pin it to the bottom because of thier over bite. The attached pic should show ya what I mean. It works.

Attached Files:

3. Gordhawk

Gordhawk New Member

State:
    Iowa
    George,
    By having a float on your leader,3-4" from the hook,about how far do you figure your bait is off of the bottom?

Glenn

4. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    I would think you need a leader around 18" to get the bait up one foot. I'm gonna have to try it soon. Ive often thought of it sitting here but never got off my but and tried it.

5. Zebco 33

Zebco 33 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Not one to argue with science, but.........

I've seen channels slurp up corn and critters from the rocky banks of my aunt's lake and in some slow moving creeks. No pinning or anything. I've have channels and flatheads hit a baited line as soon as it hits the water, like a bass.

I just don't see a fish wrestling its food to the bottom and then trying to eat it. It might carry the captured meal in its mouth and then go off to eat it without fear of it being taken away from other fish.

Jerry

6. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I use a rig like George when fishing in a snaggy area but most of the time I fish directly on the bottom. Both work fine.

7. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    I've caught a cat or two while throwing a top water cranks for LMB over the years.... Vibration is a key sense that is used with others to locate bait fish for cats....I have found this to be true in stained water as well as "gin clear" water.

Strange that you bring up the "off the bottom" idea, as this weekend.. I planed to try two rigs to check out that idea.... one rig with about 12" leader, going through a sinker slide, with the weight right at the sinker slide, and then another rig, where the weight is some 30" down from the sinker slide. both rigs will have gill for bait. I'll try to get back to this thread and present the results....

bayrunner ray

8. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Fishin tite line with the clicker on usein a carolina rig and after doin tests to find the rite float. I would say no more than a foot or so. Depends a great deal on how long of a leader ya use. Mine are about 18 inches or so. It is important that there be no slack in your line when usein a carolina rig with this float. If there is the float will continue to lift the bait bringin the slack line with it. And the bait. Again all I can say is it works for channels real well.

9. crazy cathunter

crazy cathunter New Member

State:
    ohio
    My last trip out was almost a wash for me. I spent more time getting leaves that were building up on my lines, than soaking my bait. Out of sheer frustration i put a small bobber 6 inches from the hook on a 12 inch leader. Within 10 min. i landed a 2 pound channel. My only fish that night.

10. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I have to somewhat go along with Jerry. Science is one thing, but it don't have all the answers. I can possibly see a cat pinning a crawfish, eel, or larvee of sometype against the bottom, but it would be because that is where the bait was located in the first place. I believe most cats inhale the bait like bass, or crappie, or flounder, etc. When your in Bass Pro, make it a point to take in the aquarium when the feed the fish.... watch the cats.

11. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    I've been using peg corks for a long time now. I run my leaders 18 to 24 inches to keep the bait suspended off the bottom. This method of fishing is good anytime but is a must when fishing soft mud bottoms leaves etc... Flatheads inhale a bait but blues and channels will mouth it. Having the bait suspended lets the fish grab it and go without having to dig it out of the mud and trash and will result in better runs. I also use a peg cork when drift fishing and make my leaders 3 ft. long.

12. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    Interesting theory, but I have caught MANY channel cats on live bluegills fished 3' under a bobber in 6' water... The gills were swallowed whole (sometimes still alive after landing the fish)...

13. Gordhawk

Gordhawk New Member

State:
    Iowa
    George,
    Thank you for the information.

Glenn

14. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Dewayne, welcome to the BOC/SOC.

15. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    YES!:wink::0a10:

16. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    you ever watch them feed the fish at bass pro shops? the blues feed of the top and will wet you if your standing to close. the stripers will chase the bait around in the tank and the blues will wait until the bait gets into the corner of the tank and feed up right off the top. maybe they got a thermocline in that tank...lol. the flathead in the tank has never moved that i have seen. i bet he does at closing time and the lights go out.:wink: the cork deal works great. in fact it will keep your line tight but like george said dont give it much slack or will come to the top. i like my bait right in mr. whiskers face as he comes up the lake. not laying the mud for me.:wink:

17. jsthumb

jsthumb New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I would have to agree with the above mentioned that unless the bait is already on the bottom that most cats dont pin there bait before eating it. However I believe most cats will mouth the bait and try swimming off before eating it. Look at it this way if cats pinned there bait to the bottom before eating then how can anyone catch a catfish on a hook say 5' under a jug in 20'+ of water depth. The same could be said with a trot line, line set or bobber fishing. I have caught many of cats on bobbers were the bait was no where near the bottom. I have even caught them on rare occasions with shallow running lures in deep water. As for bottom fishing I do use a small cigar type float to try to keep my bait about a foot off the bottom.

18. Pacman

Pacman New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Sounds like most of you are saying off the bottom is better. I'll just experiment til I find a tangle free rig.

19. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    i fish large baits 5 to 6 foot deep under a float over 50 foot of water and the fish dont seem to have any trouble getting it in their mouths.

20. KingCat

KingCat New Member

State:
    Olathe Kansas
    Quote: "I fish large baits 5 to 6 foot deep under a float over 50 foot of water and the fish dont seem to have any trouble getting it in their mouths."

I don't think this is about jug fishing.