on or off bottom

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by big corey, Dec 26, 2007.

1. big corey

big corey New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    i fish a river here in sc. should i fish on the bottom or up off
    the bottom a few feet i am fishing for eater channels 1.5 to
    7 pds. should i use j hooks so i can hold the rod in my hand
    so i can set set the hook as soon as they tap or should i use
    circle hooks and let them set themselves what size hook
    kind and what rig should i use please reply

2. yeppa

yeppa New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    Welcome to the BOC. Traditionaly around here, you fish for cats on the bottom. After reading a lot of posts on this board, I will be using bobbers to suspend the bait some of the time.

3. Pfunk

Pfunk New Member

State:
    Lake Fork - Texas
    Well, I dont fish rivers too often. But in the lake, i use a Carolina Rig, and i fish about 6 inches off the bottom. If the river bed is clear of timber and grass, i dont see any harm in fishing right on the bottom. But here in the lake i fish in, we have to fish about 6 inches up off the bottom, cause the bait will get hidden in grass or timber and makes it hard for the fish to get to...

My favorite is bobber fishing. I love getting those glow sticks and using them with a bobber at night. I drop my bait in the water til it hits the bottom, then i pull the bait off the bottom about six inches, and attach the bobber, then cast.

Good luck!

4. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    Like yeppa I fish on the bottom but will begin live bait suspended from the bottom.
    good luck
    just

5. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Welcome to the BOC, Corey. I use a Slip Float Rig or Three Way Swivel Rig, both rigs keep my bait off the bottom.

6. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    You should try fishing levels to find where the fish are suspended, try a carolina rig, try using a slip float. Just try different things, hooks are usualy a personal preference give different styles and sizes a try. Does this lake have high current?

7. big corey

big corey New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    yesir the river i fish has probably an average when it is is up pretty good
    of 1.5 to 2.5 mph current and can you please tell me the hooks
    you would recomend me to use and thanks for all the replys

8. Pfunk

Pfunk New Member

State:
    Lake Fork - Texas
    Walmart has some good hooks called "whiskers Catfish hooks". I like those because they dont damage the fish like most of the circle hooks do.
    But you can't go wrong with a treble hook really, but I dont use them because they are so hard to get out.

No matter what kind of hook you use, i think it boils down to the size of fish you will be catching.

What i would do is buy 3 or 4 different kinds, and see what works best for you and the fish you are catching...

Check this thread out, and it should help you determain what hooks you need, and why..
    http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66732

Good luck, and welcome to BOC..

9. LandsCats

LandsCats New Member

State:
    North Dakota
    First let me welcome you to the BOC and the home to where you will find your answer to catfishing or help in getng into and catching more cats. Have you tried any paste baits yet, you can fish them on the bottom or under a float. Can you use treble hooks there. They will increase you catch but when you want to release fish they are no good. Live bait may also improve your catch rate, go with a bait that is local to the area you are fishing. Good luck

10. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    WELCOME ABOARD!!

Glad to see some Carolina folks around!!

"...should i fish on the bottom or up off the bottom a few feet..."
    Off the bottom slightly will not hurt your strikes a bit. 12"-24" will be well with strike range for any catfish feeding or staging near the bottom. I believe having the bait slightly suspended allows for the fish to take the bait into its mouth much faster and easier.

"...should i use j hooks so i can hold the rod in my hand so i can set set the hook as soon as they tap or should i use circle hooks and let them set themselves..."
    It's a personal preference, but I am circle hook guy. Holding a rod for hours can get boring and make your fishing trip a lot less fun. Plus, if you are fishing multiple rods the circles will do the work for themselves. If you are planning to release your bigger fish the circle hook will do less damage than "J" hooks.

"...what size hook kind and what rig should i use please reply..."
    For smaller fish I would go with a 2/0-5/0 Gamakatsu Octopus Circle hook on a 12"-18" leader with a one ounce weight above a swivel. 15-20 pound line will be plenty.

Now GO CATCH SOME FISH!! :wink:

11. Marcos

Marcos New Member

State:
    Texas
    Hi all! I am new here but enjoy reading everyones input. :worship:

12. katkiller77

katkiller77 New Member

State:
    dayton ohio
    bottom mainly for both lake and rivers i usually use an egg sinker with a swivel usually allowing 12 inches from the swivel too the hook. i use treble hooks for worms and liver and for bait fish on aberdeen, circle and trotline hooks depending on conditions

13. Lngbo

Lngbo New Member

State:
    Marion Ark
    When fishing the Mississippi I use circle hooks 7 to 8 and fish the bottom. On lakes I use a 3-4 circle hook and still fish the bottom. Circle hooks normally do not damage the fish alot and are easier to remove.

14. big corey

big corey New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    i just want to thank everyone that has posted on this thread
    yove all been a big help

15. txthumper1691

txthumper1691 New Member

State:
    Temple, Tx.
    when targeting th eaters I usually use trebles w/some sorta storebought stink bait or chkn livers, under a float. usually playing around w/different depths till I find them. If after an hr or so I havent found any then I try diff bait. cut shad or minnows, live worms. have even caught eaters on hot dog pieces 1/2 inch long sprayed w/ Wd40. If no luck under a bobber then try off th bottom. I catch small flatties on th nightcrawlers that glow green, 2 bb weights 1.5 ft above th #2 baitholder hook. one rod at a time this way, hold your rod so u feel th strike. also, talk to th locals, they will have th best answers, any one who u see catchin fish, ask them their technique, always be open minded an be willing to try anything cuz what works today may not work tomorrow. thats my advice brother. have fun an post pics when u have a good stringer full of eaters.

16. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Corey, you didn't say which rivers you fish, but for most SC rivers, I would agree with Wyliecat's post. All of the posts have good info. Our rivers tend to have lots of stumps and logs. Keeping your bait just above bottom will help spread the scent a little better, I think, and the circle hooks, used properly will help insure hookups, and won't hang on snags as often, especially if you use inline pointed hooks. There are times when the bait can be fished on bottom of course, with good results. In heavy cover, try using a short leader, <12", or even let your sinker slide all the way down to the hook. This will usually work better in heavy current or thick cover. There is no best answer for all of the time, so just spend some time reading up on the posts here on the forum, and add all the ideas to your databank. :smile2:

17. big corey

big corey New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    hey thanks and i fish the congaree and wateree rivers
    i usualy put in at 601 bridge landing any body got any
    advice on a good float rig

18. cathooked

cathooked New Member

State:
    north carolina
    Ive heard that you tie a lead off about 3ft or so up from your weight,and it will keep the bait afloat,i dont know,but would like any info.on makin it in the 30lb club...thanx

19. big corey

big corey New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    if im using night crawlers should i use a treble hook or a reguler
    circle or j hook id kinda like to use a treble hook in case if they are finicke
    please tell your opinion